Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if it is still possible to recover data from my hard drive if I replaced the head myself. It is a 2TB WD Caviar Green. I accidentally dropped it 2 days ago and thought it would be ok, but when I tried to run it, all I heard was a clicking/beeping noise. MISTAKENLY, I opened up the hard drive to see what was wrong and saw that the head kept going on and off the platter while the platters were spinning when I first boot it up. Then it would stop. I want to see if I can replace the head to recover the data but I'm not sure if I should spend the money.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Now that you have opened up the drive, the chances that you can recover any data has been greatly reduced. A recovery service might still be able to recover your data but it will cost you dearly.

While this is too late to help you now, in the future, if you keep your data backed up, you won't have to worry about losing any if a drive should fail. Multiple backups are best.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up data recovery services and you are correct, it will cost ATLEAST $250. I want to try to see if I can repair the head myself, I tried to search for the head component only but couldnt find it, unless I am not looking hard enough. The model is WD20EARX-00PASB0

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Chances of success are like none now since you opened the enclosure.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite8 View Post

I looked up data recovery services and you are correct, it will cost ATLEAST $250. I want to try to see if I can repair the head myself, I tried to search for the head component only but couldnt find it, unless I am not looking hard enough. The model is WD20EARX-00PASB0
It could easily run ten times that.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite8 View Post

I saw that the head kept going on and off the platter while the platters were spinning when I first boot it up. Then it would stop. I want to see if I can replace the head to recover the data but I'm not sure if I should spend the money.
Why do you want to replace the head when it's probably fine, and even if a head was bad, how would you know which of the 4-6 heads is was? I think the platters went out of alignment when the drive was dropped, preventing the heads of the secondary platter (the one without the servo written on it) from lining up with the tracks.

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
The heads are going on and off the platters because they are trying to re-read the data but are failing (Which is when it goes off the platter and tries again)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think the most reasonable way for a consumer to attempt fixing a drive would be to replace the board rather than messing with the heads. Although I have people on you tube who have been successful at fixing a head that was stuck by moving it back manually, chances are very wide the drive is still going to fail though.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
chances are the read/write heads came into contact with the discs which means bad sectors all over the place. shouldn't have opened it. next time try instead of opening it, put it in an antistatic bag and put it in the freezer for a while then pull it out and try to see if you can get it to spin, if so then back up immediately.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

"While this is too late to help you now, in the future, if you keep your data backed up, you won't have to worry about losing any if a drive should fail. Multiple backups are best.
Backup backup backup

I looked into this once before too. The going rate for basic professional recovery started around $1000. I never looked into trying to fix it myself.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You opened the drive. Consider your data gone forever unless you pay big bucks. And even then it is HIGHLY unlikely any data recovery service can help you.

Move on with life and don't EVER open another HDD again.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, I will just consider the data gone forever. I usually would never have thought of opening a hard drive but for SOME reason I thought it was a good idea this time haha.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used the same power cable from my old psu and fried my HDDboard(never do that again.) Tried replacing it for 50bucks. no go on a cloned board so I opened it up no avail.Data company said 600 to recover. I forget which one but it wasnt worth it to me. Good luck getting all the heads in without touching is a pita

1 - 14 of 14 Posts