Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i play a lot of PUBG, LoL and soon BF5.

I had a g9x since 2012 60$ with the keyboard g105. Didn't know the difference between laser and optical sensor.

G9x is laser, so there is not enough skipping when playing FPS, so i think my aim is not good.

I hear that g203 and newer logitech had optical sensor, so it's better for FPS?

Is it worth if ? I can get g203 for 21$ brand new, g402 for 32$. G403 at normal price 60$

I heard too that g9x suffer from acceleration even if you disable in windows and drivers because of the laser sensor technology. Why people like this mouse and say it's the best ?

Thank you

·
Registered
874 Posts
As far as laser mice go, the G9x is still a fantastic and accurate mouse. Unless there is a particular software issue, there shouldn't be any skipping. There is a small amount of acceleration built into the sensor but it's not significant. After testing a half dozen different mice after my G9x I eventually settled on a Logitech G Pro. It's uses a symmetrical shape as apposed to the right-handed ergonomics of the G9x, but it's still very comfortable in my opinion, and the sensor is phenomenal.

Replacing keyboards and mice can be a never ending battle. Unless there is a specific function or problem you're targeting, you'll just end up wasting money. Unless you could personally identify that acceleration was hurting your game before reading about it on the internet, it likely isn't.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your advice is to keep the g9x until the end ? I need some feedback from people playing FPS and moving from g9x to other mice

·
Registered
874 Posts
My advise is to keep the G9x if it works fine for you. The internet can tell you all day that mouse acceleration is killing your game, but unless you can personally identify that your mouse is limiting your accuracy, it probably isn't. If you've gotten used to the sensor accel on the G9x, your game will likely get worse with an optical mouse until you've gotten used to the new sensor; at which point you may be limited by your own skill anyways and not the mouse.

·
Registered
247 Posts
to some extent Shape / comfort is more important than sensor accuracy. Of course we cannot compare a modern mouse with 3360 sensor with some cheap $5 optical mouse.

Your G9X is very valuable. Many people in Korea want this mouse as it's the mouse all starcraft pros use. They use it without the grip.

I do think it's worth to try a mouse with a newer sensor. Not sure what you'd like because G9X shape is quite unique and I don't know if you use the grip or not.

G402 the cable is horrible. Try to find a shop that has these mice on display for you to hold.

I think you may like the Rival 600 shape, but it's abit heavier than G9x.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I had the g9. It was a great mouse. I replaced the cable once. Eventually the scroll wheel gummed up. Thought it was failed so I got a g502. While I like it. I still like my g9(maybe better) I have it to the girlfriend after I took it apart and cleaned the wheel. She likes it quite a bit for fps. Had I known cleaning the inside under the scroll wheel would bring it back to normal, I would not have even replaced it. Just got new feet and called it a day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a mouse G9 (without x). It's in excellent condition after many years. I replaced the switches in it, everything else is still working. I made for her a supply of glides and switches. Its shape for me is perfect. For several years I was looking for a replacement for this mouse, just for the sake of getting something new. But always I went back to my G9. If we talk about which of the modern mice has the most comfortable form for me (after the habit of G9), then this is Rival 500. And a little more - G502. Very strong "no" - G102 and G403. But the most important thing is the long-term habit of the G9 sensor behavior, when I play with 3360-sensors, then I have to spend time adapting.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like the shape of g9x. My hand is too big I think and I have to switch between claw and finger grip. I still don't know how to use it.

Maybe I should test in market different mice and see if I enjoy their shape ?

·

29,532 Posts
G9x has a pretty crappy sensor (ADNS-9500) which has negative acceleration. Unless you really like the shape (which it seems you don't) I would suggest changing mouse.
Something like the Nixeus Revel is probably the cheapest mouse you'll find with a perfect sensor.

As a personal anecdote I can say after changing away from my SteelSeries Xai (also ADNS-9500) a few years ago, the accel difference between that and my first following mouse: the CM Storm Spawn with the ADNS-3090 was noticeable within the first minute.

This site lists only perfect sensors, and a large amount (but not all) of mice with said known perfect sensors: https://sensor.fyi/list/,

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
I will have to agree much of my love for the G9 was the shape. I did not find the sensor bad. coming from any non 1000hz mouse it was still amazing at the time.

I just got use to it. just like everything else.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
G9x has a pretty crappy sensor (ADNS-9500) which has negative acceleration. Unless you really like the shape (which it seems you don't) I would suggest changing mouse.
Something like the Nixeus Revel is probably the cheapest mouse you'll find with a perfect sensor.

As a personal anecdote I can say after changing away from my SteelSeries Xai (also ADNS-9500) a few years ago, the accel difference between that and my first following mouse: the CM Storm Spawn with the ADNS-3090 was noticeable within the first minute.

This site lists only perfect sensors, and a large amount (but not all) of mice with said known perfect sensors: https://sensor.fyi/list/,
Very interesting so even if you disable acceleration in Logitech software and windows 10 you still get acceleration because of the laser sensor ?

·

29,532 Posts
I will have to agree much of my love for the G9 was the shape. I did not find the sensor bad. coming from any non 1000hz mouse it was still amazing at the time.

I just got use to it. just like everything else.
It's workable for sure, but you don't get used to something that essentially has a mind of its own.

Very interesting so even if you disable acceleration in Logitech software and windows 10 you still get acceleration because of the laser sensor ?
This is mostly a sensor flaw, ie. you cannot do anything about it. It's just inconsistently bad, which is why I discourage the use if you care enough about accuracy.

This thread, and the post linked to in particular explains more than I am able to:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...ch-g700s-have-acceleration.html#post_22984931

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok right i understand now, so if i want to be good at aiming in FPS, i should throw my old g9X ...

Before i used to play cs 1.6 with a optical microsoft mouse, was good at this time

·

29,532 Posts
ok right i understand now, so if i want to be good at aiming in FPS, i should throw my old g9X ...

Before i used to play cs 1.6 with a optical microsoft mouse, was good at this time
If you're referring to the WMO1.1 it actually has a more accurate sensor than the ADNS-9500/9800, so go figure.

You asked if replacing your G9x was worth it, and my response is yes. You can get cheap as chips mice with PMW3360's so you don't even have to break the bank to get a better sensor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts