Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I bought the new AMD Ryzen 5950X to replace my AMD Ryzen 3950X.
This is the only new component in the system. The rest of components are in the signature.

As soon as I booted up to Windows, the system started rebooting and crashing, sometimes with the BSOD WHEA Uncorrectable Error

What I tried:
-removed all RAM sticks and tested with only one at a time in different memory slots.
-tested the memory with and without XMP (2133Mhz).
-took out my RAM and tested with one stick of G-Skill F4-2400C15S-8GNS and one KIT of 2 sticks Corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C16.
-manually set RAM timings
-replaced the PSU.
-removed any other USB devices besides mouse and keyboard
-tested with only a Bluetooth mouse. No other USB connected.
-removed any other HDD and SSD besides the system/windows one.
-replaced the system/Windows SSD and tried reinstalling Windows. Crashes while installing.
-removed the CPU to check for bent pins with a magnifying glass. Twice. All good.
-downgraded BIOS to F30
-reflashed F31e.
-upgraded to F31h, F31i, F31k, F31l
-cleared CMOS and tried booting without setting anything in BIOS.
-booted Ubuntu 20 Desktop live USB. Crashes before desktop with some cryptic error about CPU.
-checked CPU and motherboard temperatures. All fine.
-reseated the GPU.
-tested with a RX460 GPU instead of 1080 ti.
-disabled C-States
-disabled HPET-Timer
-forced PCIe to gen 2/3/4
-disabled AMD Cool&Quiet
-disabled PBO (always have it on Auto anyway)
-removed all SSDs and HDDs and tried booting from Ubuntu live USB
-tried all levels of LLC
-Enabled Preferred Cores

After many failed attempts with various BIOS settings, the only one that fixes this problems is setting "Core Performance Boost" to disabled. Of course, with this setting disabled, this new CPU performs a lot worse than the old 3950X
Tweaking VDDG/P results in the system being able to boot, but crashes soon after. With F31h Windows no longer crashes at boot, but crashes under load or random at idle like before.

Opened a ticket with Gigabyte, but knowing Gigabyte, their response will be "We will inform our engineers" and then silence.
Anyone else having problems with the new 5950X and Core Performance Boost?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem on the aorus master x570. What fixed it for me was I had to manually set the ram timings, ram dram voltage and vcore soc, and also manually select the proper infinity fabric frequency. I think there is some type of ram bug with the latest bios.

See if that helps you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What value for VCORE SOC are you using now?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same as with me.

Swapped 3950X to 5950X Aorus Extreme motherboard. Now the system is rebooting at any time.

Latest BIOS, Windows 10 (20H2), Chipset Driver, AMD Ryzen Master, etc.
Settings for XMP memory, I also checked for OC (frequency, ending with voltages through timings).

The same!!!
Restart at sudden undefined moments.

I did not move the voltage on the CPU. I always have an AUTO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No more GIGABYTE

I will change the BIOS to the older one - F30 - reviewers did not have such a circus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FFFUUU..... Nothing has changed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It seems other brands are having the same issue. MSI released a new BIOS for some boards that seem to solve the problem for some users.
Meanwhile, Gigabyte did not even reply to my ticket, not even with their usual copy-paste standard stuff. /s

Question is: nobody is testing these CPUs on actual motherboards these days? How the f do they release support for new CPUs with new BIOS versions and not test it for 5 minutes to see if the thing boots at least.

later edit:
finally some good news

/s

I have 5 support tickets ever opened with Gigabyte. 100% of their replies are identical to the above one. And then, nothing.

• Rep+
Reactions: Marucins

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,718 Posts
the amd experience still strong.

wonder will that experience double with 6800xt..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Deepcuts, write me what you wrote to them. I will also report from myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Deepcuts, write me what you wrote to them. I will also report from myself.
What I wrote to Gigabyte is the exact text from the 1st post, minus the fact that I have tested with another GPU,RX460 and of course, without the last 3 lines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi to all. Just registered so I would share that I am too having stability issues with 5950x and the aorus Xtreme. It would random Bsod with Whea errors, on both bios F30 & F30E and with stock settings , Bsod also with XMP settings. I still have my 3950x, and it works well without bsod on the Xtreme.
Have raised a ticket with gigabyte, hopefully they will address the issue with a bios update.
I would urge those having issues raised it with gigabyte.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would urge those having issues raised it with gigabyte.
Sorry to hear so many have this issue.
Thank you for writing to Gigabyte. Hope more people writing about this issue will expedite things with them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WOW, reading these issues just makes me want to wait. And this is a ~$1200 motherboard in Australia. You'd expect the highest end boards to get the fastest release for fixes. But at least in Australia we are protected by Consumer Laws, basically I would have 0 problems returning the board and getting a full refund if it had these issues. Sadly in other countries you have to contact Gigabyte, here it's not my job to contact Gigabyte, the store you buy from has to deal with them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
F31g same situation.
Do not bother.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wrote ticket to the support...

Did you check the new BIOS with the old CPU (ZEN 2)?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wrote ticket to the support...

Did you check the new BIOS with the old CPU (ZEN 2)?
Was using F31e with 3950X without any problems.
Cannot check F31g or newer because I gave the 3950X to a friend.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey, have you tried the original chipset driver from AMD's Site?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Deepcuts, me too.

F31g does't correct the problem with restarting the computer :\

84stangman, of course.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts