Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Returned my 5950x to the retailer, they tested it on the asus dark hero. Still the same issue, Bsod with Whea errors.
So what was the shop's take on this? CPU busted? BIOS incompatibility? Raised shoulders and "no clue"?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gigabyte 👎🏻

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm facing the same issue with a 5950X and a brand new Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master. I can boot into windows and just let it sit idle, and it'll eventually reboot.

With the number of reports of the exact same problem description, I somehow don't believe the CPU would actually be faulty in a similar manner for all of us, and it seems more likely that the boards are just not really compatible with this CPU yet. Maybe screwed up voltages somewhere. Some people might be lucky that their silicon behaves differently and works with those voltages.

I did a bit of digging around, and similar issues crop up not only for Gigabyte boards, but at least MSI and Asus as well. That leaves me to conclude that its maybe the AGESA, or perhaps the CPUs afterall.. But that would be a lot of faulty CPUs.

If I knew for sure that the gigabyte board just has issues and another board from eg. ASUS or MSI would solve the issue for sure, that would be on order right now. But alas, it does not look like that would be a guaranteed fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So what was the shop's take on this? CPU busted? BIOS incompatibility? Raised shoulders and "no clue"?
They said most likely hardware issue (cpu). The fact we are facing the same issue would have ruled out a faulty CPU.
Maybe it's compatibility or a weak silicon sample.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I knew for sure that the gigabyte board just has issues and another board from eg. ASUS or MSI would solve the issue for sure, that would be on order right now. But alas, it does not look like that would be a guaranteed fix.
From what I gather from the retailer, Giga boards with most issues. Has anyone tried another chip on the line up like the 5800x and see if the same error crops up?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
The only review featuring Gigabyte Aorus X570 Xtreme and AMD Ryzen 5950X I can find is from Gear Seekers.
He does not mention any problems with the build whatsoever.
The only difference as far as I can tell is that he is using an OEM CPU part, as seen here
100-100000059WOF is retail BOX (what I have) while his 100-100000000059 is OEM (tray)
I find it strange that so many Youtube reviews about Ryzen 5950X are up, yet none mention any problem, reboots, WHEA errors. Nothing!
I am thinking: either those youtubers received cherry picked OEM parts or they are not disclosing problems in fear of not receiving free stuff to test in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another one to join the club. This one is a 5800x with crosshair 8

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Kryptonic83 can you please tell me what is your CPU part number?

later edit:
and also if your system is stable with BIOS Optimized defaults? I mean, no tweaking, all auto, RAM at 2133.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
excellent thread here... im tuned in

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kryptonic83 can you please tell me what is your CPU part number?

later edit:
and also if your system is stable with BIOS Optimized defaults? I mean, no tweaking, all auto, RAM at 2133.
100-100000059WOF
Yeah, I'm sure it was stable at defaults as well as that's how I installed windows, I don't think I did much testing with it with ram at 2133 though, I could maybe try that at some point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My old system is still working just fine, and the new one is not usable at all, so I'm pondering to just go for a RMA on the CPU at this point, and see what happens, even if it takes a bit to get a replacement.

I feel like its more likely that some CPUs might be a bit iffy rather then the mainboards, considering so many similar issues across vendors and mainboard models.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I might have found a configuration that is stable without crippling performance. Need to do more testing to be sure.
RAM at 2133 for the moment.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I would say from F31 to F31k, there have been improvements in stability.
I have spent a lot of time with various combinations of BIOS settings trying to make this new CPU stable on my board.
I actually thought I got it stable, being able to run any benchmark and game for over 30 minutes without a crash and with good performance.
As I was ready to call it a day, I started a Handbrake batch, the actual purpose of this machine really and lo and behold, my "stability" went down the drain. Crashed and rebooted in seconds.
To be clear, RAM, IF and UCLK at 2133/1066. No XMP or memory overclock.
It is my belief that most people with Aorus X570 Xtreme and 5950X are far from stable.
Some of them tweaked the hell out of that BIOS and are on the edge of stability, with dangerous voltages and possibly having data degradation without their knowledge. Some went over the edge but they don't know it yet, like I was prior to running Handbrake, which I am sure can be substituted by other programs also.
Some of them like their sanity and just returned the CPU/motherboard instead of wasting their time. From this bunch, I would say a fair percentage don't bother posting on forums.

The shop I bought my CPU and motherboard from told me to send both for testing.
Waiting another week or so hoping Gigabyte or AMD will fix this. Would really ruin my day to install my old Asus Hero, 8700K and all the required programs and settings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Or maybe there are too many of these new features?

We know that Gigabyte motherboards have 128 Mbit BIOS memory chips.
Previously, other companies, due to a small BIOS chip and major changes to AGESA, eliminated some functions.
"ASRock officially confirmed that the first beta BIOS revision for B450 motherboards was made available on the official website a few days ago. However, it is worth bearing in mind that updating the firmware will result in the loss of support for older processors (Ryzen 1000 and Ryzen 2000) and there may be problems with proper operation."
Maybe for better integration of new features and free memory, GIGABYTE should remove support for Ryzen 1000 from X570 chipsets?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Soooo, Can I join this club? I didn't exactly upgrade. Just did a bios update to F31e to F31j and I'm still getting Whea Logger Event 19 and sometimes Kernel Power event 41 to go with it. I don't get reboots. I get straight unclean shutdowns.

System specs

CPU- Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Ram -DDR4-3600MHz CL15 Gskill Trident Z
PSU- Corsair HX1000i

Windows 10 Version is 20H2

·
Registered
54 Posts
On Monday, Proshop service got my CPU. Today I got information that the new processor will be shipped.
When?
Just when will I get a new CPU? Looking at the shortages in stores, I may wait until the end of December.

But I must admit that I am satisfied with the Proshop service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am inclined to think that silicon lottery play a role here in causing all the havoc.
Why is ppl using the same 5950x having no issues and some like us are facing this mess

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Soooo, Can I join this club? I didn't exactly upgrade. Just did a bios update to F31e to F31j and I'm still getting Whea Logger Event 19 and sometimes Kernel Power event 41 to go with it. I don't get reboots. I get straight unclean shutdowns.
Shutdowns makes me think of overheating.
I would revert to F30 and test if it happens again.

By the way: club membership denied! Shoo with that oldie CPU. We are a fancy club.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts