Overclock.net banner

My system with a Ryzen 5000 CPU reboots with BIOS defaults

1121 - 1140 of 1574 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
One can behave like the apologist all over the internet and be tempted to keep a dull chip.
Then a few months later, some threads will start to appear shouting:
"Did i win the silicon lottery 5950x, 5Ghz all cores, no WHEA."

Or one can return/sell its cpu and buy another one, lets say, in 4/6 month.
When the "Did i hit the silicon lottery" threads start appearing.

There is also 50 pages about the WHEA issue on the AMD forum if some are interested in:

In any shapes or forms i would not buy an AMD product at the moment.
Especially when AMD launch products, due to the fact that one could end up with a dull, low binned chip.
Saying buying no AMD products at all is a bit of a tretch. People ending up with totally unstable chips are quite the minority not the norm, and if you do get extremely unlucky you can RMA. Now if AMD was declining to replace such CPUs it would be a different case but they don't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I opened
and checked 10 pages for the number of comments. Usually, each topic has less than 10 comments. Max number I saw was 17 I think

If we go to
we'll see that a single topic with 5xxx reboot problems contains more than 500 comments already - that's at least twice larger than all comments for all topics for all 10 pages from the Intel. And this topic is a new one - it was started in ‎11-19-2020

I don't know - maybe these numbers are explained by the fact that nobody buys Intel anymore :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Saying buying no AMD products at all is a bit of a tretch. People ending up with totally unstable chips are quite the minority not the norm, and if you do get extremely unlucky you can RMA. Now if AMD was declining to replace such CPUs it would be a different case but they don't.
I would agree if some striking facts would not come into play as:

Anyway, little sanity check up:
-AMD shipped Zen/Zen+ cpu's with segfault issues at launch, that had to be RMAed.
-AMD shipped Zen2 cpu's not able to reach specs clocks, at launch.
-AMD shipped Zen3 cpu's with WHEA fault at launch, along with dual CCD 5600/5800.

There is enough material, accumulated over a 4 years course, showing that it is better to avoid AMD products all together, especially at launch.
Buying an AMD product has become a gamble and it is not fine just because only few users lost their cpu bets.

If something is broken, would you advise someone else to buy it?
Personally i don't, so my best advice by facts and personal experience with the products is clear:
Return dull cpu's and wait until AMD is able to deliver the same chips quality as the ones currently shipping to its EPYC customers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, guys... I just recently (like 3 days ago) installed a 5950X into my X570 Aorus Master and like most, I got the crashes and reboots... Now, I wanted to ask something... Did any of you guys find any other thing wrong with the system??? Like any small thing that is small and went unnoticed as we were staring at the big issues of crashing PC? I did... I did notice that my sound had crackling all over... So, I went a different root and seem to have stumbled upon something just now (literally like an hour ago...). I too did what all of you tried... BIOS update, changing BIOS settings and stuff.... My system crashed (100%) a few minutes into the game (DotA 2 was my choice of game for sacrifice). I think there is some problem with the chipset drivers that you install for your motherboard. All I did waws uninstall it and set my XMP to 4000Mhz and rest to default and tried watching some video (which also caused the random crashes) and then played a bot game of DotA 2 like all the times before. The sound issue completely disappeared and My PC did not crash in the past 2 hours of testing. I will perform further testing and update if there is a crash or not. I really hope this helps at least a few people out there... Have a good day...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,125 ·
This is a rant.

I am not a retailer or a shop. Just provide support to businesses.
21 years in the field.
For personal use, I started with an Intel 486 and some later models, then briefly used a Cyrix and an AMD Athlon X2.
The Athlon XP was my last AMD CPU for a very long time. Switched back to AMD after Intel 8700K, to a 3950X and now to 5950X.
The only CPU I ever managed to break was the AMD Athlon XP. I have cracked its die. My bad.

For my clients, I have always opted for Intel CPUs.
In these 21 years, I have never had an Intel CPU malfunctioning. Not a single DoA and cannot remember ever servicing a system with an Intel CPU that was dead or partially defective even long after the warranty expired.
By saying that, I agree that retailers with really high sales volume had their fair share of defective Intel CPUs. No doubt.
I suck at math, but I might have built over two thousand systems with Intel CPUs so far.

I am grateful that AMD is kicking Intel's ass right now performance-wise and I hope they will keep doing that for a long time. If not for AMD, I am certain we would all still use quad-core CPUs in 2021.
I am a fan of whatever company provides the best performance/cost and I have never thought until now that I also have to take into consideration the reliability of a new, unused CPU. Somehow, in my mind, it was impossible for a CPU to be DoA.
Up until now, if anyone would have said that their new CPU was defective, I am 99.99% sure I would have thought the user made a mistake, overclocked the hell out of that CPU, or bent some pins.

Whoever states that the amount of defective AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs is not that high or even worth taking into consideration must be a sandwich short of a picnic. And I am seeing a lot of such statements.

The worst part of this whole story is that even with this very bad experience, I will still purchase the next AMD Ryzen 6950X or whatever it will be named if it will deliver the same increase in performance.
But I will be sure to pay the shop to test the darn thing before delivery.

/rant over

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had only one WHEA error but that was before reinstall of Windows and using SATA-SSD+HD for storage. Then I switched to just NVMe storage and new Windows install and zero errors ever since (2020-12-02). Now it could be the Windows reinstall but it could also have something to do with switching to NVMe storage only, might be something worth investigating.

• Rep+
Reactions: Hueristic

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would agree if some striking facts would not come into play as:

Anyway, little sanity check up:
-AMD shipped Zen/Zen+ cpu's with segfault issues at launch, that had to be RMAed.
-AMD shipped Zen2 cpu's not able to reach specs clocks, at launch.
-AMD shipped Zen3 cpu's with WHEA fault at launch, along with dual CCD 5600/5800.

There is enough material, accumulated over a 4 years course, showing that it is better to avoid AMD products all together, especially at launch.
Buying an AMD product has become a gamble and it is not fine just because only few users lost their cpu bets.

If something is broken, would you advise someone else to buy it?
Personally i don't, so my best advice by facts and personal experience with the products is clear:
Return dull cpu's and wait until AMD is able to deliver the same chips quality as the ones currently shipping to its EPYC customers!
I disagree.

For starters any electronic you buy is always a gamble, from a tv to a car. I know people that they as they rolled out of the dealership they had to roll back in because of a major issue. Saying that no one should ever buy a honda or ford or mercedes because if it is again a bit of a stretch. And on top of that what answer does intel have or double digit cores? Their new flagship is gonna drop back to 8. Obviously that's an issue for people that require more. Don't get me wrong, I am not happy or giving a pass to AMD about all of this, I am massively pissed that they haven't issued a statement yet about this but I just refrain from going from one extreme to the other.

·
Premium Member
10,903 Posts
1devomer said:
Fanboi shill fist post
Always nice to see a new account show its true colors right out of the gate, welcome to instant ignore.

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,132 Posts
This is a rant.

I am not a retailer or a shop. Just provide support to businesses.
21 years in the field.
For personal use, I started with an Intel 486 and some later models, then briefly used a Cyrix and an AMD Athlon X2.
The Athlon XP was my last AMD CPU for a very long time. Switched back to AMD after Intel 8700K, to a 3950X and now to 5950X.
The only CPU I ever managed to break was the AMD Athlon XP. I have cracked its die. My bad.

For my clients, I have always opted for Intel CPUs.
In these 21 years, I have never had an Intel CPU malfunctioning. Not a single DoA and cannot remember ever servicing a system with an Intel CPU that was dead or partially defective even long after the warranty expired.
By saying that, I agree that retailers with really high sales volume had their fair share of defective Intel CPUs. No doubt.
I suck at math, but I might have built over two thousand systems with Intel CPUs so far.

I am grateful that AMD is kicking Intel's ass right now performance-wise and I hope they will keep doing that for a long time. If not for AMD, I am certain we would all still use quad-core CPUs in 2021.
I am a fan of whatever company provides the best performance/cost and I have never thought until now that I also have to take into consideration the reliability of a new, unused CPU. Somehow, in my mind, it was impossible for a CPU to be DoA.
Up until now, if anyone would have said that their new CPU was defective, I am 99.99% sure I would have thought the user made a mistake, overclocked the hell out of that CPU, or bent some pins.

Whoever states that the amount of defective AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs is not that high or even worth taking into consideration must be a sandwich short of a picnic. And I am seeing a lot of such statements.

The worst part of this whole story is that even with this very bad experience, I will still purchase the next AMD Ryzen 6950X or whatever it will be named if it will deliver the same increase in performance.
But I will be sure to pay the shop to test the darn thing before delivery.

/rant over

My comment is off topic but they will never call the next one the 6950X ..Intel BWe....😊

from a Marketing point of view, they also shouldn’t have called the 5950x as it is...my first thought was « Hey, Intel is back with BWe or what ? »

·
Registered
35 Posts
I disagree.

For starters any electronic you buy is always a gamble, from a tv to a car. I know people that they as they rolled out of the dealership they had to roll back in because of a major issue. Saying that no one should ever buy a honda or ford or mercedes because if it is again a bit of a stretch. And on top of that what answer does intel have or double digit cores? Their new flagship is gonna drop back to 8. Obviously that's an issue for people that require more. Don't get me wrong, I am not happy or giving a pass to AMD about all of this, I am massively pissed that they haven't issued a statement yet about this but I just refrain from going from one extreme to the other.

Interesting reading here Gentlemen...

·
Registered
2 Posts
5900X here since yesterday, PBO boost to 4.95GHz.

I had two bios reboot and a blue screen within 30min after setting the curve optimizer at -30, but nothing so far after setting it to -10.

D.O.C.P. to 3600MHz, FCLK to 1800, PBO limit disabled?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts

I had two bios reboot and a blue screen within 30min after setting the curve optimizer at -30, but nothing so far after setting it to -10.

Run it stock for a couple days before messing with anything. I know it's exciting to get it, have your fun then reset the BIOS.

This should be the practice even when there aren't known issues to make sure you have stable hardware.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lionvibez

·
Premium Member
10,903 Posts

This is not a thread for failures in over or undervolting.

It is for stock settings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting reading here Gentlemen...
yep - it's interesting. I'm happy to hear that "AMD are taking these claims seriously"
I don't understand though why there is no reaction to the reboots topic with 500+ posts on AMD's official forum.
I don't understand why there is no such topic in Intel's community.
I don't understand why we have 1000+ posts in this topic if things are just fine.
I don't understand why we have 5 different AGESA versions in 3 months if there are no serious issues.
I don't understand how it is possible to get 2 defective CPUs in a row (hard reboots and BSODs on the 1st one, BSODs on the 2nd one)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
yep - it's interesting. I'm happy to hear that "AMD are taking these claims seriously"
I don't understand though why there is no reaction to the reboots topic with 500+ posts on AMD's official forum.
I don't understand why there is no such topic in Intel's community.
I don't understand why we have 1000+ posts in this topic if things are just fine.
I don't understand why we have 5 different AGESA versions in 3 months if there are no serious issues.
I don't understand how it is possible to get 2 defective CPUs in a row (hard reboots and BSODs on the 1st one, BSODs on the 2nd one)
Seeing you dont understand much, maybe try a different hobby

:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, guys... I just recently (like 3 days ago) installed a 5950X into my X570 Aorus Master and like most, I got the crashes and reboots... Now, I wanted to ask something... Did any of you guys find any other thing wrong with the system??? Like any small thing that is small and went unnoticed as we were staring at the big issues of crashing PC? I did... I did notice that my sound had crackling all over... So, I went a different root and seem to have stumbled upon something just now (literally like an hour ago...). I too did what all of you tried... BIOS update, changing BIOS settings and stuff.... My system crashed (100%) a few minutes into the game (DotA 2 was my choice of game for sacrifice). I think there is some problem with the chipset drivers that you install for your motherboard. All I did waws uninstall it and set my XMP to 4000Mhz and rest to default and tried watching some video (which also caused the random crashes) and then played a bot game of DotA 2 like all the times before. The sound issue completely disappeared and My PC did not crash in the past 2 hours of testing. I will perform further testing and update if there is a crash or not. I really hope this helps at least a few people out there... Have a good day...
Hi guys, I had stability for some time with the above process but it eventually crashed... However, after a few attempts, I noticed that the system is very stable if I get the FCLK to 1800. I changed the FCLK to 1800 and my ram to match it in 1:1... Since morning I did not have a single crash.... I hope that AMD can fix the FCLK issue if not I have just wasted money buying a 4000Mhz RAM... :( Also, my system is running on Auto OC mode using Ryzen master and I was switching PBO and Auto OC without any issues. Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys, I had stability for some time with the above process but it eventually crashed... However, after a few attempts, I noticed that the system is very stable if I get the FCLK to 1800. I changed the FCLK to 1800 and my ram to match it in 1:1... Since morning I did not have a single crash.... I hope that AMD can fix the FCLK issue if not I have just wasted money buying a 4000Mhz RAM... :( Also, my system is running on Auto OC mode using Ryzen master and I was switching PBO and Auto OC without any issues. Hope this helps someone...
For most people buying ram in the range of 3800-4000+ is indeed a waste of money. There's no guarantee it will run at those speeds with a 1:1 with the fclk and as far as I know AMD doesn't claim it would, so it's a total gamble. They might make it more stable in future AGESA but they don't really have to as far as I understand it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I received my replacement CPU on Monday Feb 15th and have been running with it for about 36 hours now. The new CPU was from batch 2104PGS (4th week 2021 instead of my original 5950x manufactured the 43rd week of 2020).

I'm still monitoring performance, but I have not received a single WHEA error or idle reboot like I saw with my previous (RMA'ed) 5950x. With my old CPU, I would have experienced multiple reboots by now.

I'm quite happy with the replacement so far and will provide updates if anything else comes up.

Overall, I would recommend that anyone experiencing idle/low-power reboots at bios defaults and/or WHEA errors strongly consider RMA'ing your CPU.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up getting a new 5900x recently after returning my WHEA-ing one a month ago. Had a bit of a WHEA scare (mostly correctable, though one reboot) when using the latest stable BIOS (though never tried it with XMP off) on my MSI x570 ACE, but once updating to the beta BIOS with AGESA 1.2.0.0, absolutely no problems for a week. +1 on RMAing these CPUs. This whole experience will probably make me go with Intel next time out of principle though. When I was waiting for the 5900x to come out, I had a DOA 3600xt. And this whole business with zen3 BIOSes still being in beta months after release is embarrassing

1121 - 1140 of 1574 Posts