Overclock.net banner

My system with a Ryzen 5000 CPU reboots with BIOS defaults

1161 - 1180 of 1291 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm having good results rebooting my 5900x using an image filtering algorithm I have in python using numpy and opencv libraries that use avx.
My script does all sorts of things and the load varies a lot so it is very much different than what a benchmark does.

Will try to adjust it and compile it tomorrow and I will share it here, see if you can trigger reboots with it also. Right now it's 1am here.
Yes please.
Thank you!

Those reboots are made by high or low load?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes please.
Thank you!

Those reboots are made by high or low load?
Light load after a high load. It'a a combination of temperature and boost and the programmed v-f curve. Even with curve optimizer set to 0 it's still a v-f curve there. My guess is there is a small temperature window in each core where coming from a high load to low load makes the cpu think it can sustain a higher boost than it actually can.
Again, my guess, cannot know for sure. But what I am certain based on my experiments is that the reboot happens at a low load but only immediately after a high load or maybe even multi-core load. And of course, it depends on the instructions executed. I tried emulating lots of load variations in python and only numpy vector multiplications that surely use avx or avx2 can crash it.

I am very sure Chrome also uses avx and based on each page content it can cause variable load. But it's a gamble.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Load load after a high load. It'a a combination of temperature and boost and the programmed v-f curve. Even with curve optimizer set to 0 it's still a v-f curve there. My guess is there is a small temperature window in each core where coming from a high load to low load makes the cpu think it can sustain a higher boost than it actually can.
Again, my guess, cannot know for sure. But what I am certain based on my experiments is that the reboot happens at a low load but only immediately after a high load or maybe even multi-core load. And of course, it depends on the instructions executed. I tried emulating lots of load variations in python and only numpy vector multiplications that surely use avx or avx2 can crash it.

I am very sure Chrome also uses avx and based on each page content it can cause variable load. But it's a gamble.
Bring it on mate ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167
It is not only idle reboots.
My 1st one crashed at load also, during Windows install or Linux Live USB boot.
A bit disingenuous on hardware unboxed part to only consider 100% DoA a problem imho.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, well, someone at AMD lit the PR beacon looking for help, as it always does.

Furthermore, I'm still waiting reviewers inquiring about the dual CCD 5600X/5800X, which have issues with RyzenMaster not working with these cpus.

But i'm not surprised anymore when i notice that nobody takes a look a those issues.
At the end of the day, these reviewers belong to the same kind of people that gave Cyberpunk a 10/10!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It is not only idle reboots.
My 1st one crashed at load also, during Windows install or Linux Live USB boot.
A bit disingenuous on hardware unboxed part to only consider 100% DoA a problem imho.
Same could be said for your comment (a bit disingenuous) !

Did you read through the comments section to see how many people did not have any issues ??

This by no means means that people who are having issues in this thread are not having issues, it just means that the issue is not as widespread as many shills are hoping or are making it out to be.

Talking of shills, there is one who has quoted below.....

Well, well, someone at AMD lit the PR beacon looking for help, as it always does.

Furthermore, I'm still waiting reviewers inquiring about the dual CCD 5600X/5800X, which have issues with RyzenMaster not working with these cpus.

But i'm not surprised anymore when i notice that nobody takes a look a those issues.
At the end of the day, these reviewers belong to the same kind of people that gave Cyberpunk a 10/10!!
Apologies if you are not a shill, but seeing you registered just to jump on the bandwagon I will follow my gut instinct unless you can prove otherwise (sorry thats a bit unfair as there is no way for you to prove that!).

The Ryzen Master "issue" is nothing compared to people who have received CPUs that cannot run within spec without producing some hard errors.

I am sure that a Ryzen Master update will correct this (my first 5600x was a dual CCD CPU so I know exactly how the bug occurs).

But some of you peeps coming out here to scream that you should not buy AMD or their stock because of this, that is absolutely fe ck ing re d i cu lou s

Shilling as its finest

·
Registered
120 Posts
Excluding the 76% which voted but did not buy a cpu, we have 21% works and 2% doa (whatever that means, i guess people voted this for any issue with the cpu)... there are 75k votes, so that 2% means 1500 bad cpus versus 15750 good cpus... I would say that is an alarming defect rate, but it depends how you want to read it I guess...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Excluding the 76% which voted but did not buy a cpu, we have 21% works and 2% doa (whatever that means, i guess people voted this for any issue with the cpu)... there are 75k votes, so that 2% means 1500 bad cpus versus 15750 good cpus... I would say that is an alarming defect rate, but it depends how you want to read it I guess...
Look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lmspdd
Apparently, 2% is nothing out of the ordinary. Even Intel are around 1%.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,

Another one bites the dust. :)

System specs

CPU - Ryzen 9 5900x (PN: 100-000000061)
Motherboard - Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master (Rev.1.0, Bios: F13a)
Ram - 2*16GB [email protected] CL16 Crucial (PN: BL16G36C16U4R.M8FB1)
Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black
GPU - Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
PSU - Corsair 550 Gold

Windows 10 PRO 64-bit (Build 19042)

Fresh new install, latest drivers. latest bios.

Bios settings:
  • activated XMP profile for [email protected]
  • activated virtualization
  • everything else is on default/auto

Used for almost 2 weeks now, last WHEA was 2 days ago:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 25

Issue manifest itself when in idle.

Tested with:

cinebench r20 - 8509
cinebench r23 - 21611
aida64 - all benchmarks
memtest86 v9 pro

- found no issues.

Using this computer for remote work + VM's and casual gaming.

P.S.

Just jumped from a i7-6700/ Asus Z170 Deluxe/ 2*8GB [email protected] to this rig so I do not have too mutch experience with AMD.
All Intel starting from my first [email protected] until now.

Seems that I need some help from you guys, I got trough almost all the pages from this post.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi there,

Another one bites the dust. :)

System specs

CPU - Ryzen 9 5900x (PN: 100-000000061)
Motherboard - Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master (Rev.1.0, Bios: F13a)
Ram - 2*16GB [email protected] CL16 Crucial (PN: BL16G36C16U4R.M8FB1)
Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black
GPU - Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
PSU - Corsair 550 Gold

Windows 10 PRO 64-bit (Build 19042)

Fresh new install, latest drivers. latest bios.

Bios settings:
  • activated XMP profile for [email protected]
  • activated virtualization
  • everything else is on default/auto

Used for almost 2 weeks now, last WHEA was 2 days ago:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 25

Issue manifest itself when in idle.

Tested with:

cinebench r20 - 8509
cinebench r23 - 21611
aida64 - all benchmarks
memtest86 v9 pro

- found no issues.

Using this computer for remote work + VM's and casual gaming.

P.S.

Just jumped from a i7-6700/ Asus Z170 Deluxe/ 2*8GB [email protected] to this rig so I do not have too mutch experience with AMD.
All Intel starting from my first [email protected] until now.

Seems that I need some help from you guys, I got trough almost all the pages from this post.
The only help you need is to return your cpu and get another. You're from RO so just return it to the store if you're in the 14 days return period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only help you need is to return your cpu and get another. You're from RO so just return it to the store if you're in the 14 days return period.
Hi Andrei,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I wanted to double check with you guys because I do have a bios version that ends in 'A', meaning it is a alpha version?

Anyway, just noticed that a new version has been added on Gigabyte site today, F13c.

Will do a bios update, test the system and get back to you.

Regards.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Andrei,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I wanted to double check with you guys because I do have a bios version that ends in 'A', meaning it is a alpha version?

Anyway, just noticed that a new version has been added on Gigabyte site today, F13c.

Will do a bios update, test the system and get back to you.

Regards.
It's the same AGESA version, you won't get much difference.

Try to test stability like this: boot into windows, open chrome and some tabs like facebook, this one, imdb, epic games front page, open Cinebench R20 run MC test a few times and then close Chrome, open Chrome a bunch of times and then browse normally.

Test as much as you want but don't wait for the 14 day return period to expire. You can make the return claim to the store now and legally you have another 14 days after you make the claim to actually return the product. If you decide you don't want to return it anymore, don't return it. They won't mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
they talk about it around 17:03 , not really giving a lot of info based on overall data, only from an Australian retailer. Minimal amount of time spent on the issue

• Rep+
Reactions: folklore11

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my case it's a bit different from yours.
I bought a 5900x and it was an amazing sillicone chip, everything worked like a charm, DOCP RAM @ 3600MHZ, ryzen boosting to 4700 by itself, games working perfectly.
But, after a month of use, the computer started to reboot, and the reboots became more often till the computer stopped from displaying BIOS, I still have my old computer and tested every piece of HW, except MB and CPU (Because my old rig was Intel). I RMA the cpu with my local store, and they confirmed it was dead and they replaced it by a new one.
Guess what? The new cpu is a piece of garbage, Can't use DOCP, have to turn off PBO and CPB, to be able to boot windows. There is no other way to be stable.
I believe the issue is with infinity fabric, that specific part burns out, it's not well built.
Going to RMA to AMD directly this time, at least everyone says the CPU from amd stores works well.

First and last time I buy AMD stuff.

1161 - 1180 of 1291 Posts