Overclock.net banner

Replacement cooler for Hyper 212+?

991 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  jakjak 
#1 ·
Hey guys, as the title states, I'm looking for an air replacement for my CM Hyper 212+
It will be used in my sig rig with the FX8120 clocked at 4.3GHz, 1.42v
I was looking at the Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm UFB, but I want to know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm looking at the Phanteks, but a problem arises, will it work with a CM 690II and the motherboard I have?

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfeatenwaffles View Post

It will for sure work with your motherboard. It might be a tight fit in your case, but it should fit. I would try asking in the 690 II club.

Hopefully ram clearance isn't an issue.
redface.gif
Hopefully it isn't an issue as well. :s

Will it?

#6 ·
I'll link this here because this might help you out?

LINK

Based on the second picture, you might be okay. I have those RipJaws and in my mind they are close in size to the snipers. You could always pick up a set of the samsung 30nm?

EDIT: Actually the very paragraph of text says "I'm not sure about vengeance but ripjaws and sniper are fine.
You can use ripjaws ram, and other models/brands with similar height heat sinks. I used to use ripjaws and use sniper now. These ram models can be accommodated by simply positioning the fan higher up on the cooler. The cooler still gets full coverage even if the fan is moved."

You should be good! Now just to make sure it will fit in your case
thumb.gif

#8 ·
Alright, I'll pick up from here. Thanks everybody!

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus359 View Post

why do you need to replace it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLT View Post

The hyper 212+ won't be sufficient if he wants to OC with lower temps. The hyper 212+ has too little surface area
It's a 8120 so don't forget it's a hot and slow running thing (Kinda like preshott?)
Pretty much what this guy said.

#13 ·
Im still learning here and taking lots of advice and reading many bits of advice and some of it does not always match up ...

Perhaps its worth giving your 212 a try or try to reseat it ...

I have the 212 EVO (from what I read - no real performance difference between the + or EVO) on my 3770K and when I read up on coolers - seemed that installing them correctly was way more important than any other factor ... that being said, I purchased some Shin-Etsu (sp?) thermal paste from Microcenter in case I messed up my first try ...

I cleaned both surfaces - spread the paste on the 212 very thinly and about wiped away anything not in a small crevice ... then did the 3 (small) line method (to get the best square coverage) and im running into a wall with OC'ng in regards to voltage and not heat.

Im only getting 49 multiplier at 1.45v and my temp is hitting 90c ... most say that 85 is what they want at top end of 24/7 OC along with 1.45v ... so even an upgraded cooler wont get me much further, but can allow me to run perhaps a multiplier more.

DaveLT spoke about the 8120 as he has knowledge of it not being a good match with the 212 ...

Not sure of your goals or the chip you have, but I would say that a replacement AIR cooler for the 212 EVO is alot of money for perhaps small if any gain ... have you considered the out of the box water sets if you are spending alot more? Or as most water guys say ... if you are goign to go past air - make your own water set ...

#14 ·
#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodloose View Post

Im still learning here and taking lots of advice and reading many bits of advice and some of it does not always match up ...

Perhaps its worth giving your 212 a try or try to reseat it ...

I have the 212 EVO (from what I read - no real performance difference between the + or EVO) on my 3770K and when I read up on coolers - seemed that installing them correctly was way more important than any other factor ... that being said, I purchased some Shin-Etsu (sp?) thermal paste from Microcenter in case I messed up my first try ...

I cleaned both surfaces - spread the paste on the 212 very thinly and about wiped away anything not in a small crevice ... then did the 3 (small) line method (to get the best square coverage) and im running into a wall with OC'ng in regards to voltage and not heat.

Im only getting 49 multiplier at 1.45v and my temp is hitting 90c ... most say that 85 is what they want at top end of 24/7 OC along with 1.45v ... so even an upgraded cooler wont get me much further, but can allow me to run perhaps a multiplier more.

DaveLT spoke about the 8120 as he has knowledge of it not being a good match with the 212 ...

Not sure of your goals or the chip you have, but I would say that a replacement AIR cooler for the 212 EVO is alot of money for perhaps small if any gain ... have you considered the out of the box water sets if you are spending alot more? Or as most water guys say ... if you are goign to go past air - make your own water set ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsai View Post

You're the second person with the FX-8120 that I've heard that the 212 isn't good for high OC.

AMD says the maximum safe temperature to run any FX-series processor at is 61C..

Look the post #4734 about a comparison made by a mate that switched from the 212 Evo to the H100 because the 212 didn't performed good enough:

http://www.overclock.net/t/632591/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-evo-club/4730#post_18263085
I don't wanna water cool. Too scared. :\

#16 ·
There's a air cooler i use for monster air cooling solutions short of a dual tower with 1 AFB1212SHE fan or 2 AFB1212H-PWM or i also do 2 AFB1212SHEs
http://www.deepcoolglobal.com/product/ICE_BLADE_GS/ The reason i like it alot is because i bought it for 25$ and it has a massive amount of surface area unlike the Hyper 212+ which still costs 45$ here
There's also Ice Blade V2 which is better by quite a bit (But you might as well get a neptwin at those prices)
And then there's the powerful budget king Neptwin (Not the pro edition which is fully nickel plated, not available elsewhere yet)
http://www.deepcoolglobal.com/Product/NEPTWIN_E/
Not to forget the Deepcool Assassin, i've seen it in stores for 75$

I also like coolermaster but i can't get any of the top dogs for cheap
frown.gif

#18 ·
hmm, I've had great cooling with the Hyper 212+ on both AMD and Intel chips... but then, I'm still using last generation (OC'd) CPUs. I've often browsed the frostytech heatsink reviews.. rather like the CPU hierarchy charts at toms hardware, they put a lot of different choices in a single list format. They seem to like the Spire Thermax Eclipse II SP984B1-V2 for the new large area AMD CPUs (among others, of course). That is where I'd start if the old faithful was falling short of expectations.
Cheers... stay cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.