Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace my Dell mobo with an ASRock, It is basically an Asus but cheaper! w00t. My question is, is this mobo compatable with a dell cpu 2.8 p4 chip 800 mhz fsb? You guys are alot of help. Thanks! (Link Below)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...157-034&depa=0

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you are planning on using your dell case be carefull. Most (if not all) mobo's wont fit in your dell case. The holes dont line up. They do it to stop you from upgrading. You might be able to do it but you are looking at some seriouse case mods.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
the processor will fit...
but BS is right you might not be able to mount it to the mobo tray....
i would just drill some new holes and goto the hardware store and bolt through the holes....instructions as follows
what you need
a. drill with a bit that fits through your mobo holes
b. Hardware that will fit through the mobo holes(9 1" bolts with at least 4 nuts each 36)

1 set your new mobo into position on mobo tray
2 using a marker or something mark the wholes on the tray by going through
the wholes on your mobo (6 is the most i ever put in"there are 9 usually")
3 drill the holes out
4 stick your bolts through the back of the tray towards the side the mobo will be on
5 add your first nut too all of these bolts to secure the bolts to tray
6 add one more and leave it a little above the other nut
7 place your mobo over the bolts (it should rest on the nuts you just placed)
8 add the rest of your nuts two the topside of the mobo and tighten
9 finish hooking up the rest and enjoy

to make your mobo fit you might have to break out the I/O connectors in the back of the case not sure though

good luck

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Same here...got a new case and the front panel switches & ports connect via a ribbon in the Dell instead of idividual plugs in the Raidmax case. I feel a HUGE headache coming on if I try to save the Dell mobo (old plan).

So new plan = new mobo. What is recommended without going all out? I want to keep the memory for now (2 sticks 512mg DDR SDRAM PC2700/333). I know, I should probably just cash out the RAM too, right?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Same here...got a new case and the front panel switches & ports connect via a ribbon in the Dell instead of idividual plugs in the Raidmax case. I feel a HUGE headache coming on if I try to save the Dell mobo (old plan).

So new plan = new mobo. What is recommended without going all out? I want to keep the memory for now (2 sticks 512mg DDR SDRAM PC2700/333). I know, I should probably just cash out the RAM too, right?

I would cash out everything....... Keep the Dell as a browsing station or something. Get yourself a spiffy socket 754 AMD, a Radeon 9800 and some DDR400. You will be happy with that set-up and it won't break your bank either!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ozzi and Bind, I'd suggest getting new cases first. That way, you'll be assured that any future upgrades will have a secure home and will already be set up for better ventilation/cooling, and already compatible with any mobo changes you might want to make. Along with having more docks for drives and such, it's just a wise decision to lose the old box.

I have a Gateway that I originally planned to upgrade and oc, but after some research, I decided it would be cheaper to just start from the ground up for a new pc.

Bind, as far as your memory is concerned, it should be sufficient for any changes you decide to make, as long as the new mobo is 533 fsb. If you get an 800fsb mobo, it will work but not as well as pc3200. Though, you will always be able to upgrade later if you wish.

Hope this helped a little.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Thanks 40oz...that's the plan. Minimal investment now with eye on the next year or so. The existing is 2-1/2 yrs old and still works, just needed a better video card, then a PSU for for the ATI, then a case for the PSU and now a new mobo for the case (to have front panel switches work unless I do like another person and leave the old Dell switches hang out a PCI slot!). Also need to get a cooler for the CPU-the Dell one is integrated into the case!

For the mobo...how about this?

ASUS "P4P800S-X" i848P Chipset Motherboard For Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

I would be ok with going to the P4P800SE but with it having dual channel RAM will it work with what I have??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow Bind, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Anyhow, about that mobo...I believe if you replace your mobo, you will be able to do what you want, when you want with your comp. By that I mean upgrade any component, overclock or add/replace anything, whenever. Good choice of mobo's too.

As far as the memory in dual channel, you have 2x512 so you shouldn't have any problems and you'll probably be surprised at how much better it runs.

Overall, it's like getting a new comp because you'll be able to go into the bios and actually set it up to run how you want it to, and not how Dell designed it to run. Just wait til you oc it for the first time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts