Overclock.net banner

Replacing motherboard fan (XFX nForce 680i LT SLI)

8756 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  The Master Chief
Hi there, I'm very new to this site, this being my first post:

I have owned an XFX nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard for 1 year. On the day I got it, i heard an unusual loud fan on the first power-up. I assumed it was the CPU and gradually got used to it.

Since about 2-3 weeks ago (and a year later), the sound has increased. I opened the case up and found it wasn't the CPU that was causing the noise, but the motherboard fan.

Heres what it sounds like:

The fan making the noise is the lower right one.

The instruction manual labled the fan as "NVIDIA MCP".

Because the noise is distractingly loud, I really want to replace it.
I don't know alot about replacing fan's so I ask the Overclock community to assist me on this one.

Any information on this subject would be of great help! Thanks for reading!
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
http://www.cwc-group.com/nvidiavga.html This fan would work as an adequate replacement, though you'll need to find someone who ships to the AU! Good luck though, Timon
See less See more
small fans make noise and fail often. I've replaced that fan with a zalman cooler running passive. Plenty of air blowing around it from the video card and front case fan. By touch it feel hot but sensors say it runs better then before and never breaks lower 40s the last time I took a look. I'm using this one, but of course there are better out there. Just make sure you check to know it will fit. You can mount it slightly offset to fit the video card or perhaps use the bottom pci-e. But that's my suggestion, good luck on silencing it.
Would a normal 60mm fan fit on The XFX 780i NB?
Jaycar electronics have compatible fans for that one just unscrew it and take it with you and they will be able to match it up for you
Quote:

Originally Posted by f4tqu4ck
View Post

small fans make noise and fail often. I've replaced that fan with a zalman cooler running passive. Plenty of air blowing around it from the video card and front case fan. By touch it feel hot but sensors say it runs better then before and never breaks lower 40s the last time I took a look. I'm using this one, but of course there are better out there. Just make sure you check to know it will fit. You can mount it slightly offset to fit the video card or perhaps use the bottom pci-e. But that's my suggestion, good luck on silencing it.

I See! Thankyou for this information!

I'm very eager to go and buy the Zalman Cooler. I don't do any overclocking at all, so would you say it's a safe replacement? Last thing i want is for it to burn out from overheating. :/

I'm all for Zero-fans and pro heatsink.. always go for the quieter option.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timon1771
View Post

I See! Thankyou for this information!

I'm very eager to go and buy the Zalman Cooler. I don't do any overclocking at all, so would you say it's a safe replacement? Last thing i want is for it to burn out from overheating. :/

I'm all for Zero-fans and pro heatsink.. always go for the quieter option.

If you get the Zalman, you should make sure that there good airflow in your case. It might just get hotter since there is no fan cooling the heatink. Instead, I recommend this one. http://www.petrastechshop.com/evvcvgcodnf4.html
See less See more
I've Solved this problem using the "Zalman ZM-NB47J" f4tqu4ck suggested. Thanks f4tqu4ck! & everyone who gave their tips!

First time I installed a heatsink by myself too. I'm relieved the noise level is 85% quieter.
I'm having the same noise issue with this fan that is compounded by the Coolermaster case it is in. Do you recall what you did to get the fan off? I pushed in the two pins and part of it comes off but part of it stays on the mb.
Hmm, I remember pinching the end of the pins, then pushing it out of the motherboard. That's about all there is to it really. Try doing both pins at the same time.
After looking at the pictures of the Zallman heatsink it looks like they are just push pins. Did they just pull out?

See less See more
I don't remember if those pins come out easily. But they shouldn't cause too much trouble. The Zalman is easier to clip on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC;5774387
If you get the Zalman, you should make sure that there good airflow in your case. It might just get hotter since there is no fan cooling the heatink. Instead, I recommend this one. http://www.petrastechshop.com/evvcvgcodnf4.html
That looks like a good cooler. I myself have the board (look at signature), and i've noticed its the loudest fan in my system. I may consider that fan, since its low profile. I cant/shouldnt get the zalman for the reason being that it would interfere with the future card i plan to get. (ECS GTS 450 black edition, its a huge beast, look it up)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc10512;12097227
That looks like a good cooler. I myself have the board (look at signature), and i've noticed its the loudest fan in my system. I may consider that fan, since its low profile. I cant/shouldnt get the zalman for the reason being that it would interfere with the future card i plan to get. (ECS GTS 450 black edition, its a huge beast, look it up)
Your gonna cripple the 450 with that crappy netburst CPU:mad:
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.