Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I need to replace my girlfriend's phone. She's currently running some craptastic LG Neon slider phone, and its on it's last leg. Luckily, her contract is up this month, so we can totally subsidize some of the cost of a new device by signing on with a new extended contract with AT&T.

As it stands right now, after looking at their selection in my area (02780 is zip) it looks as though the Atrix 2 is the most feature rich phone at a reasonable price. We're not looking to shell out $150-200 for the SGSII, as she's not a power user of any sort... However the Atrix 2 has the dual core, nice res on a 4.3" screen (bit bigger than we really wanted, were trying to stick to around 4"), nice camera, etc. It also has a price tag of $100, or even free if we go through Best Buy I believe.

After reading all the reviews on AT&T's website for the device, the general consensus is the battery life is absolutely terrible. All the professional reviews for the phone give it nothing but positive marks. Can anyone attest one way or the other on how this phone is? Does it have a nice solid feel in your hand? Decent battery life? Good app compatibility? If not, what phone should I be looking at in the $100 and lower range? Oh yea, I'd prefer the phone to have Gingerbread as well, as opposed to Froyo, seems like A LOT of devices are still rocking with Froyo. I'm not looking to root or do anything to her phone, so stock Gingerbread is ideal.

Thanks in advance!

·
Not New to Overclock.net
2,553 Posts
I feel like she would probably like an iPhone 4 (not S because of price) at that point because of screen, speed, functionality, etc.

I've heard great things about the Infuse 4G, could look into that. Galaxy S II refurbished on ATT.com is only $9.99
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with TheJesus. If she only needs basic functionality and doesn't care about customization or having multiple options, then the iPhone is the way to go. The iPhone 4 also seems to have better battery life than most Android devices, though that's debatable since a lot of custom ROMs get great battery life. Basically, if you don't want to deal with ROMs and such, the iPhone is probably the better bet. On the other hand, a quick ROM flash can do wonders to a phone, especially a capable one like the Galaxy S II.

Also, while shopping around, check out Amazon Wireless. They have some pretty awesome prices... the Galaxy Nexus was available for $149.99 for a while right after launch (w/ 2 year contract, of course).

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Any high powered device will have awful battery life if you actually used the phone to its full potential. This even applies to the iPhone 4s.

Adding a custom ROM to Android would give her much better battery life than the reviews you read.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that iPhone 4 idea is probably best now that I've been thinking. Simple, straight forward, easiest to use. Question, other than the otterbox, what case is best for her? The Otterbox, while durable, is just too damn bulky. Obviously she's a girl, so she wants purple, pink, something along those lines. Should I be looking at hard slider ones? Rubberized style ones? There's like 70,000 results on amazon for iPhone 4 case... kinda boggles the mind looking through them all.

smile.gif

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I went to a used cell phone store and found my GF a Sharp FX plus for 130 bucks. Its a great little phone and can be rooted easily with an app on the market called z4root. She likes it quite a lot. Its only flaw its it reboots sometimes but so does my EVO so I can't complain.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioxbliss View Post

I don't personally think cases help THAT much. Just grab what she thinks looks fine, and preferably something she likes the feel of. That should do it... After that the most you should need is a decent screen protector.
Is a screen protector even necessary? I used a 3G for over a year, and 3Gs for over a year, and only got a single TINY little scratch on the face. That glass is amazing stuff. My Nexus S? got 3 scratches that make the color's show rainbow through it when it was inside it's clip. I wish they used the same stuff as the iPhone used... I think they have Gorilla Glass right?

·
Banned
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post

Is a screen protector even necessary? I used a 3G for over a year, and 3Gs for over a year, and only got a single TINY little scratch on the face. That glass is amazing stuff. My Nexus S? got 3 scratches that make the color's show rainbow through it when it was inside it's clip. I wish they used the same stuff as the iPhone used... I think they have Gorilla Glass right?
pretty sure they have gorilla glass
thumb.gif
also the iphone is great for simple apps,games,music,movies,etc.. Android is good to but takes some time to learn as the iphone is easy right out the box. Thought this might help
tongue.gif
I <3 my iphone 4s

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
tpu cases are like 2-4 bucks on ebay. ip4 is a great choice.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post

I use them just to be on the safe side... I have a lot of random adventures that pop up out of nowhere and have mangled many phones... If you'd rather go bareback, that's fine too.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioxbliss View Post

I use them just to be on the safe side... I have a lot of random adventures that pop up out of nowhere and have mangled many phones... If you'd rather go bareback, that's fine too.
I don't have 4 kids for nothing!
thumb.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts