Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on OC'ing my Q9550 a little tonight and just wondering if 1 fan will even keep the temps below 70C.

my case fans suck also but right now i'm running out of the case.

would anyone suggest some fans to replace my stock ones? they should both be exhaust i'm assuming and that it shouldn't 1 exhaust and 1 intake.

Budget i'd like to keep it under ~40 but a little over ~20 for 2

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
scythe looks good right now. good cfm and makes a little more noise which i don't care about.

whats anti-static pressure all about anyways? and can anyone confirm that the fans for this heatsink should both be exhaust?

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The stock fan is great, as Confessed points out. I disagree on getting a second fan just yet though.

Try OC'ing and see where your temps end up, then make that decision. From my limited reading push/pull on the 212+ does not provide worthwhile benefits.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity View Post
The stock fan is great, as Confessed points out. I disagree on getting a second fan just yet though.

Try OC'ing and see where your temps end up, then make that decision. From my limited reading push/pull on the 212+ does not provide worthwhile benefits.
From what i've read it gives about a 2-3C* improvement

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by k0rnh0li0 View Post
scythe looks good right now. good cfm and makes a little more noise which i don't care about.

whats anti-static pressure all about anyways? and can anyone confirm that the fans for this heatsink should both be exhaust?
Fan 1 > Heatsink > Fan 2. One should push air into the heatsink while the other fan pulls it out.

I like my S-FLES G. They aren't as loud as my R4 or blademaster when running at 2,000 RPM. I have heard good things about the AP15s.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
That cooler should definitely keep your temps below 70C on that processor, even with one crappy fan.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlo
View Post

From what i've read it gives about a 2-3C* improvement

If you've got a second blademaster laying around, then sure, 2C is worth it. I don't think it's such a big deal I'd lose any sleep over it though.

OP - I still think you'll be fine with the stock setup. Start OC'ing, and watch your temps while you're running Prime/Linx/whatever. May get further than you anticipate.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz
View Post

Fan 1 > Heatsink > Fan 2. One should push air into the heatsink while the other fan pulls it out.

I like my S-FLES G. They aren't as loud as my R4 or blademaster when running at 2,000 RPM. I have heard good things about the AP15s.

This.

I have two S-FLEX E fans running on my 212+, which are quite a bit quieter than the G's, and I can stay under 70C at 3.83Ghz. I am thinking about getting a couple of G's however, and upping my OC to 4.1Ghz+. I can move the E's I'm currently using to replace some of my cheaper 120mm case fans.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
This.

I have two S-FLEX E fans running on my 212+, which are quite a bit quieter than the G's, and I can stay under 70C at 3.83Ghz. I am thinking about getting a couple of G's however, and upping my OC to 4.1Ghz+. I can move the E's I'm currently using to replace some of my cheaper 120mm case fans.
Yea the S-Flex and what I hear from the AP15s are the way to go if you want your computer quite and cool. Thats why they can drive the prices they do. I use my blade master and R4 fans, but I plug them into my motherboard and have them set to the lowest fan speed I can. Even then when I do any stress testing my computer can get really loud compared to my S-Flex running at top speed. My last option before getting a better heat sink is to try a fan shroud, but I think I will go water before that happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts