Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have an Acer Aspire 8935G-874G100BN laptop featuring a 18.4'' glossy display. I truly dislike reflection and wanna replace the screen with a matte one. Do you have any ideas where to get one?

On a related note, I'm curious about compatibility issues. My next laptop will probably be a next generation Acer Aspire with the same screen size. Matte probably won't be an option. I'd like to use my future matte display for my next laptop but don't know about hardware interfaces and compatibility issues. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be highly appreciated.

I've also heard about anti-reflective films but I'm not that sure whether they'd cut it regarding lessening the reflection enough. I'd like to read about your experiences regarding those films, too.

Thanks,
Laci
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,132 Posts
You could just buy a matte cover for the screen it will be a lot cheaper than getting a new screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547;13060989
You could just buy a matte cover for the screen it will be a lot cheaper than getting a new screen.
If would if I knew that such a cover would provide the same visuals (matteness) as a new screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect;13061086
they usually do and you can order them on ebay for around $20
Have you witnessed the quality being comparable? If so, I might give such a film a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondalaci;13060952
Thanks a lot, I guess it should probably be compatible.

Is it just me or $127 seems suspiciously cheap to you, too?
No, thats roughly the going price. I would've expected it to be slightly more as 18.4" is an uncommon screen size.

But like other people have mentioned, I would suggest you try anti reflective film first, as they are cheaper and work pretty well AND you dont have to risk wasting $100 if you order an incompatible screen.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
I would double check on that screen first if you plan on buying it, because there is the 1 tube backlight, 2 tube backlight, and LED backlight, all are different hookups. So just double check what screen you have already.

if you do take your original screen out, just look for the model number on there and search it on the website.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13063760
I would double check on that screen first if you plan on buying it, because there is the 1 tube backlight, 2 tube backlight, and LED backlight, all are different hookups. So just double check what screen you have already.

if you do take your original screen out, just look for the model number on there and search it on the website.
Thanks a lot, very useful advice!

Since my last post I've disassembled my screen and the model number is N184H6-L02 Rev. C1 whose datasheet can be found at http://www.notebook-lcd.ru/pdf/N184H6_L02.pdf

I have several questions.

* What properties do I have to check for in order for another screen to be compatible with my laptop? You've mentioned backlight (which isn't compatible since my laptop uses LED backlight vs the CCFL-2 backlight of the matte LCD that I could buy). The resolution and screen size are other obvious properties that have to match but I wonder whether there's anything else.

* Second, I'm worried about the glossy glass that covers the screen. When I disassembled my laptop it was fairly apparent that even if I get a matte screen, the glossy glass that protects it (and which is part of my laptop) can make the matte screen glossy. How much can this be an issue and if so how should I deal with it?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Well is the screen under the glass glossy or matte, because if you have a glossy piece of glass over top of your screen, it won't matter what you do, it will be glossy.

I would see if the screen is matte or glossy under the glass, you are going to need to remove that glass somehow to get the matte you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13076928
Well is the screen under the glass glossy or matte, because if you have a glossy piece of glass over top of your screen, it won't matter what you do, it will be glossy.

I would see if the screen is matte or glossy under the glass, you are going to need to remove that glass somehow to get the matte you want.
The screen under the glass is glossy.

I can remove the glass on top of the screen but that'd look pretty lame and nothing would protect the screen in this case. I wonder whether there are matte glasses or are all matte screens directly exposed to the outside world.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondalaci;13077087
The screen under the glass is glossy.

I can remove the glass on top of the screen but that'd look pretty lame and nothing would protect the screen in this case. I wonder whether there are matte glasses or are all matte screens directly exposed to the outside world.
You know most laptops don't have anything over top of the screen. Most of them just have the panel as is. so it wouldn't really be an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13077123
You know most laptops don't have anything over top of the screen. Most of them just have the panel as is. so it wouldn't really be an issue.
Although I don't know about most laptops but in principle I guess you're right.

I can only foresee a minor visual glitch as the screen side surface of the laptop will have a small, 1mm hole in it as the glass will be removed. It shouldn't be a huge deal though.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondalaci;13077195
Although I don't know about most laptops but in principle I guess you're right.

I can only foresee a minor visual glitch as the screen side surface of the laptop will have a small, 1mm hole in it as the glass will be removed. It shouldn't be a huge deal though.
Not an issue. My screen on my laptop is set back a few mm because it is a tablet and sits behind a the tablet part. It doesn't really effect the viewing pleasure unless you are actually trying to look for the gap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13077220
Not an issue. My screen on my laptop is set back a few mm because it is a tablet and sits behind a the tablet part. It doesn't really effect the viewing pleasure unless you are actually trying to look for the gap.
Ok, I won't worry about the glass anymore.

The last issue that worries me is when searching for http://www.google.com/search?q=N184H6-L02%20matte I seem to get invalid results. There are four different revisions of this display: A1, A2, C1, C2. The problem is that I can see the C1 revision sold as matte which calls for bull**** since I have the exact same revision and it's glossy for sure.

I'm not sure who should I trust. The datasheet doesn't provide any information about these revision numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems to me that most of the LCD search results have been edited to feature glossy finish instead of matte. I feel that the situation is pretty hopeless for me to find a matte screen but if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top