Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my volcano 12 last night. Initially, I had the fan speed controlled by the rheostat that fits in an empty 3 1/2 in. bay. I had the fan speed set at about 3500 rpm and was surprized at how quiet it was. It was giving me idle temps of 38 C at that speed, about 2 C cooler than the cheap all aluminum hsf I replaced it with and with somwhat less noise. During the night the rheostat must have given up the ghost because this morning the volcano 12 fan was turning full bore. I quickly ascertained that the control was bad as turing the knob had no effect on fan speed. So, I switched over to the under the cpu temp probe auto control and at a fan speed of about 3000 rpm (very quiet) I am getting an idle temp of about 40-42 C and less delta under load than I was getting with the aluminum hsf. Of course, the Arctic Silver 5 hasn't had a chance to cure yet, so I expect the temps to be even a little lower a week from now. Summary, a little cooler and considerably quieter with the Volcano 12.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I currently run at 2500Mhz w/the listed sys. The Volcano 12 is @ 4600RPM and I'v yet to see load over 46c and its no louder than my spare which has a default Reatail 2400xp/FHS w/2 front common 80s and a common 80mm fear fan. 44c and below under gaming load is the norm. Not bad for a $29 FHS.

BTW, it seems if you let the sys idle for about 3 days @ a nonOC low voltage the idle temps will drop 3-5c then go for the OC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

I currently run at 2500Mhz w/the listed sys. The Volcano 12 is @ 4600RPM and I'v yet to see load over 46c and its no louder than my spare which has a default Reatail 2400xp/FHS w/2 front common 80s and a common 80mm fear fan. 44c and below under gaming load is the norm. Not bad for a $29 FHS.

BTW, it seems if you let the sys idle for about 3 days @ a nonOC low voltage the idle temps will drop 3-5c then go for the OC.

Thanks for the info. The innovative fan design on the Volcano 12 is really effective for limiting noise.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trents

Thanks for the info. The innovative fan design on the Volcano 12 is really effective for limiting noise.

Are we speaking the same language here? I have a Volcano12 and its loud enough to wake the dead (thank god I don't live next to a graveyard...)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

Are we speaking the same language here? I have a Volcano12 and its loud enough to wake the dead (thank god I don't live next to a graveyard...)

Yup, mine sounded like an airplane taking off @ fullblast.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Yup, mine sounded like an airplane taking off @ fullblast.

At 3500 rpm and under, mine is reasonably quiet, definitely quieter than my Coolermaster Xdream at the same speed and the Coolermaster fan is only 25mm deep. Of course, my hearing isn't what it used to be.

·
Registered
200 Posts
At 2100 rpm my volcano 12 runs quieter than my 92mm case fan. Then again running the volcano at its maximum 6k rpm is loud enough to wake the dead.
The only real issues I've had with it are getting it on and off the socket, and I wish they had installed a grill onto the heatsink top. I don't know how many times I've gotten bloody knuckles from that thing.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anklebiter

At 2100 rpm my volcano 12 runs quieter than my 92mm case fan. Then again running the volcano at its maximum 6k rpm is loud enough to wake the dead.
The only real issues I've had with it are getting it on and off the socket, and I wish they had installed a grill onto the heatsink top. I don't know how many times I've gotten bloody knuckles from that thing.

definatly...at full speed, i sliced my pinkie in half and like hit an artery lol, so everytime i look in my computer im scared to put my fingers by it. but as long as u keep the rpms on it less the 5K its nice and quiet, and it cools plenty. and i think its the best bang4buck Xp heatsink out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anklebiter

Yea, Thermaltake should have put a screwdriver slot on both ends of the clip so you could push down on the first end to snap it in place before you have to flatten the sink out on the cpu. I had to slide mine a little bit to get it properly positioned and I wondered if I wiped off my thermal paste in the process.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

It made the vacuum cleaner sound like a low hummm when switched on near my old Volcano. As I've always said "Volcano is a very apt name for that cooler".

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1

It made the vacuum cleaner sound like a low hummm when switched on near my old Volcano. As I've always said "Volcano is a very apt name for that cooler".

Maybe they've changed the fan design since you bought yours.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

It does get a bit loud when I push the OC!!! Thats why I keep it around 2500Mhz... 2636Mhz and the RPMs are maxed and LOUD!

·
Banned
550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

It does get a bit loud when I push the OC!!! Thats why I keep it around 2500Mhz... 2636Mhz and the RPMs are maxed and LOUD!

whats like good temps for a 64 3200 likebetween... and ... and its a newcastle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts