Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Okay, i have been seeing this happend alot recently that when a new member comes on a thread and breaks the rules everyone just gangs up on him and is like "dude don't post that/don't hijack the thread/etc. and then says reported.

I mean that's just so rude and unwelcoming and it's probably the reason why i've seen threads around here stating that OCN has become more and more unwelcoming to new people.

I mean let's say i was a newbie and went to a thread and misread 1 or 2 rules and then broke them and everyone would be like reported!!! that would make me feel like nobody wants me here and that i should go, just think about it.

It would be alot better if people just reported the person and told him/her that that's against the rules and refer him/her to the rules sticky politely and not post stuff like im gonna report you.

Well yeah, thanks for reading...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,332 Posts
That's what it's supposed to be like, a professional, sarcasm free environment. Watch what you post, and everyone else do the same. If something is way out of line, report their post and move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by AC_Smoothie
View Post

Hi,

Okay, i have been seeing this happend alot recently that when a new member comes on a thread and breaks the rules everyone just gangs up on him and is like "dude don't post that/don't hijack the thread/etc. and then says reported.

I mean that's just so rude and unwelcoming and it's probably the reason why i've seen threads around here stating that OCN has become more and more unwelcoming to new people.

I mean let's say i was a newbie and went to a thread and misread 1 or 2 rules and then broke them and everyone would be like reported!!! that would make me feel like nobody wants me here and that i should go, just think about it.

It would be alot better if people just reported the person and told him/her that that's against the rules and refer him/her to the rules sticky politely and not post stuff like im gonna report you.

Well yeah, thanks for reading...


I topologist to you for OCN's rudeness but it is your part to read the forum rules and abide by them. Not doing so will land you warnings, interactions and/or bans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
I've been on quite a few forums, and upon coming to OCN (very recently) I admit I was a bit put off by the amount of rules and guidelines. I assumed that would make this environment a childish one, but I couldn't have been more wrong. These rules give OCN a sense of structure and maturity that is unequaled. Ultimately however, it's up to us to make OCN into the kind of forum we'd like to take part in.

Just food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Noobs should get a gentle reminder to read the rules (hey, I was a member for many months before I read the rules). Give them a chance to correct their post. If they don't, report it.

If you see a noob repeating their violations, a more stern reminder and immediate reporting are in order.

Jumping all over someone the first time they cross the line will discourage a potential valued member. They are probably just used to how things work (or don't) on other forums, and need to be politely educated how we do things.

In the event of spammers, ignore the above. Report and ban those f'ers immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
In some aspects I agree with you, often it seems like a thread can just become a pecking party. But you really should read the rules, and learn some forum etiquette before posting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emotional Post-it Note View Post
I've been on quite a few forums, and upon coming to OCN (very recently) I admit I was a bit put off by the amount of rules and guidelines. I assumed that would make this environment a childish one, but I couldn't have been more wrong. These rules give OCN a sense of structure and maturity that is unequaled. Ultimately however, it's up to us to make OCN into the kind of forum we'd like to take part in.

Just food for thought.
I could not agree more bro. You pretty much sum it up right there. I also felt like it was a little "over the top" at first but I have found that it has to be to keep things respectable. Even the Ol'schoolers get Infractions from time to time...don't take it too personally just fix the problem and don't let it happen again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
What is this infraction thing I keep hearing about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,761 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by bomfunk
View Post

Infractions


Not nearly as bad as interactions. God forbid I have to socialize.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,190 Posts
Ironically, I posted a rant not too long ago that there seems to be quite a few "OCN police" lately. Granted, the report post function serves it's purpose. My opinion is that some individuals need to take a breath! Hopefully, the implementation of the spoler tag will ease some of the tensions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by JEK3
View Post

Noobs should get a gentle reminder to read the rules (hey, I was a member for many months before I read the rules). Give them a chance to correct their post. If they don't, report it.

If you see a noob repeating their violations, a more stern reminder and immediate reporting are in order.

Jumping all over someone the first time they cross the line will discourage a potential valued member. They are probably just used to how things work (or don't) on other forums, and need to be politely educated how we do things.

In the event of spammers, ignore the above. Report and ban those f'ers immediately.

Yep, that's exactly what i meant
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by AC_Smoothie
View Post

Hi,

Okay, i have been seeing this happend alot recently that when a new member comes on a thread and breaks the rules everyone just gangs up on him and is like "dude don't post that/don't hijack the thread/etc. and then says reported.

I mean that's just so rude and unwelcoming and it's probably the reason why i've seen threads around here stating that OCN has become more and more unwelcoming to new people.

I mean let's say i was a newbie and went to a thread and misread 1 or 2 rules and then broke them and everyone would be like reported!!! that would make me feel like nobody wants me here and that i should go, just think about it.

It would be alot better if people just reported the person and told him/her that that's against the rules and refer him/her to the rules sticky politely and not post stuff like im gonna report you.

Well yeah, thanks for reading...

well if the person read the tos this would not happen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,004 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by noobdown
View Post

well if the person read the tos this would not happen.

However, we do not live in a perfect world and lets face it, not everybody is going to read the TOS. That does not mean we should be any less polite to them than otherwise, especially if they are new. Breaking rules is not acceptable, sure, but even in infraction or warning messages we strive to as educational and respectable as possible. After all, our goal is not to chastise somebody for breaking a rule, but to help them realize what they did wrong and how they can avoid doing it next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chipp
View Post

However, we do not live in a perfect world and lets face it, not everybody is going to read the TOS. That does not mean we should be any less polite to them than otherwise, especially if they are new. Breaking rules is not acceptable, sure, but even in infraction or warning messages we strive to as educational and respectable as possible. After all, our goal is not to chastise somebody for breaking a rule, but to help them realize what they did wrong and how they can avoid doing it next time.

Good explanation
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chipp
View Post

However, we do not live in a perfect world and lets face it, not everybody is going to read the TOS. That does not mean we should be any less polite to them than otherwise, especially if they are new. Breaking rules is not acceptable, sure, but even in infraction or warning messages we strive to as educational and respectable as possible. After all, our goal is not to chastise somebody for breaking a rule, but to help them realize what they did wrong and how they can avoid doing it next time.

i agree. im not condoning the actions of other, that make people feel unwelcome. i just wish people would read the tos. but like you said, its not a perfect world.
beside ocn would be pointless if no one was here.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top