Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every thread that contains a repost should be dealt with a different means rather then the first page or multiple pages all complaining about the same thing:

"repost"
"not a repost"
"yeah it is, here's link"
"difference source!"
"same topic"
"derp"
"herp"
"flerp?"
"okay"

Instead, I believe that given the drop box in the report post tag, it should contain an option for "Repost". Once selected, it'll give a box stating: "Link towards the repost" and another text box saying something on the lines of "extra information" or whatever. If confirmed, the thread is removed, if not, a the drop down box will not give the option for "repost" when reporting.

"This is a repost" is off-topic and could possibly be classified as "trolling". It is thread derailment and only provokes other members to post about it later on.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
This would be a great feature to the report list, and would cut down moderation on reposts by a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Problem is how do you keep people from abusing it? Moderators still have to review them to verify.

Just report them as a repost and let the mods do their job.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post

Problem is how do you keep people from abusing it? Moderators still have to review them to verify.
For the same reason people don't abuse the "Mark as Held" feature, or the report feature itself. There's consequences when using both of these incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher View Post

Just report them as a repost and let the mods do their job.
In the comments section, you post the link. The mods check out the link, look at the timestamps, and deal with it.

On the other hand though, this doesn't seem like a big priority....at all... it might just be me, but reposted threads die fairly fast. Once every two weeks or so, OP's example will come up, if that.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post

In the comments section, you post the link. The mods check out the link, look at the timestamps, and deal with it.
On the other hand though, this doesn't seem like a big priority....at all... it might just be me, but reposted threads die fairly fast. Once every two weeks or so, OP's example will come up, if that.
This is how it is done now, except no way to "remove" the repost, it must be done by a mod.
What is being suggested still requires mod involvement, and then adds the possibility of abuse. The only addition is that the post would be removed from "general" view while in the moderation queue, but does not really help anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

For the same reason people don't abuse the "Mark as Held" feature, or the report feature itself. There's consequences when using both of these incorrectly.
The "Mark as Held" check box is not available to everyone though.

The thing is, Posting "repost" is against the TOS, so anyone that does that in a thread should technically be reported.
If you see a repost, just report it and move on. If nobody responds with "Repost" it will drop down and not be seen anyway till mods can take care of it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Domino

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does the "mark as held" do anyways? I remember checking...or unchecking that option and a mod messaged me saying that they are having problems with it.

I hope OCN adds many more options in reporting. So far, they are doing a wonderful job at infracting for the sake of a deserved infraction, regardless of reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts