Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of building a new computer, which means it's time for a fun new case for it. Previously I built a case and desk out of wood.

This time I want to do a submerged build. I've seen a few out there. I'm thinking I'll get a motherboard tray and an aquarium, fill it with mineral oil, and submerge.

The thing is, I want to make this a gaming system. This means two things, really: first, it may require more than passive heat dissipation from mineral oil to cool it - a radiator, of some sort.

Second, I've heard mixed results about equipment failures in mineral oil. However, to the negative(i.e. it killed the processor/video card/etc) I've never heard a solid report, only 'it happened to a friend of mine.'

I've heard things like, you should seal the processor, etc. Can anyone who has experience doing this, give me some solid advice on what needs to be sealed, where, and how?

And any other feedback that I may be missing, as well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
While I have never done it, I thought about it. One of the things I worked on in the Marines was large radar jamming transmittors. The electronics where sumberged in a fluid similar to mineral Oil.

These guys have run an aquarium-pc for 3 years with no failures. They sell all the stuff you will need to build it and have pictures and guides.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php#update3

Only negative thing I heard was fans. They will get worn out from trying to push the oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts