Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
Has anybody ever thought that its not video games that make people violent? that people who are already VIOLENT are more attracted to more violent video games.... It's your choice to play Sonic Adventures or Doom 3.... the more violent natured person plays doom... Its as simple as that...

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Let me see if I get this straight: is your paper defending the position that violent vido games make people go out and commit violent crimes? Here is what I think about video games and violence:

Society as a whole has taken the easy road and put the blame on everything but themselves. I'm fat, so I sue MacDonalds. I smoke and have cancer, so I'll sue the tobacco company. My kid commited suicide while listening to Ozzy, sue the record industry. That is just plain and simple crazyness.

But back on topic; as a race, are humans predisposed to violence? I think so. As a social creature, we direct that aggressiveness to our fellow men. Look at the war technology we have now, imagine putting that same effort and dollars into medical research, how much less suffering would be in the world.

Let me tell you about myself a bit; I used to run with the wrong kind of people in my younger days. And I have always been a gamer of some sort (from D&D to CS:S), but also played with GI Joes, green army men, and toy guns. And I know I have a propensity to blow my fuse quite fast. Does that makes me want to go to my gun cabinet and pull everything I have in there and go commit a crime? No. Do I think about it? No. Do I scream BOOM Headshot at the gun club after a good day of shooting? Sometimes
But that doesn't make me a killer.

Those Columbine kids knew what they were doing. They planned it, and carried out their plan. There was intent and malice behind their actions. Not because they were gamers, but because they were not widely accepted kids. They had a bone to pick.

No, it was not video games, but society who pushed them to the edge because they didn't conform to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow'puter

Let me see if I get this straight: is your paper defending the position that violent vido games make people go out and commit violent crimes? Here is what I think about video games and violence:

Society as a whole has taken the easy road and put the blame on everything but themselves. I'm fat, so I sue MacDonalds. I smoke and have cancer, so I'll sue the tobacco company. My kid commited suicide while listening to Ozzy, sue the record industry. That is just plain and simple crazyness.

But back on topic; as a race, are humans predisposed to violence? I think so. As a social creature, we direct that aggressiveness to our fellow men. Look at the war technology we have now, imagine putting that same effort and dollars into medical research, how much less suffering would be in the world.

Let me tell you about myself a bit; I used to run with the wrong kind of people in my younger days. And I have always been a gamer of some sort (from D&D to CS:S), but also played with GI Joes, green army men, and toy guns. And I know I have a propensity to blow my fuse quite fast. Does that makes me want to go to my gun cabinet and pull everything I have in there and go commit a crime? No. Do I think about it? No. Do I scream BOOM Headshot at the gun club after a good day of shooting? Sometimes
But that doesn't make me a killer.

Those Columbine kids knew what they were doing. They planned it, and carried out their plan. There was intent and malice behind their actions. Not because they were gamers, but because they were not widely accepted kids. They had a bone to pick.

No, it was not video games, but society who pushed them to the edge because they didn't conform to it.

YAY +1 Rep for personal responsibility!

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the third installment of my paper if you want to comment feel free i will probably use it in my paper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts