Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new pc with a ryzen CPU. I am staring from scratch and the only thing that I have now is a R7 video card. I'm not upgrading the card now due to the high prices from bit miners. I'm looking for a list of the latest CPUs to start with that are most compatible with overclocking and MB that are as well. I haven't done a pc upgrade in 4 years and I need a good staring point.
Thanks

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
The new 2000-series Ryzens will be coming soon. R5 2600 or R7 2700 would be good choices.

Six cores would be the sweet spot for gaming. Sound and video production/editing, streaming, and lots of multitasking would benefit from eight cores.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Yeah, get a new 2000 series cpu and don't skimp on the cooling. Also get the best ram you can afford as Ryzen is very ram dependent. Slow ram = slow cpu.

Since you haven't OCed in some time it would probably be best for you to look into an ASUS X470 board as ASUS generally has the best bios and there is a lot of community support when you have questions.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Yeah my recommendation for RAM would be 3200C14. You want both high speed and low latency. G.Skill Flare X is specifically designed for Ryzen.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Ryzen 5 2600X + 16gb gskill 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 timings + asus or asrock x470. That's life?
I would probably go with a 2600 as I'm an overclocker. And I would put preference on the ASRock X470 board based on my own previous experience, but it would depend on the exact features and specs of the boards. Either way, that's a solid start to a system.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, get a new 2000 series cpu and don't skimp on the cooling. Also get the best ram you can afford as Ryzen is very ram dependent. Slow ram = slow cpu.

Since you haven't OCed in some time it would probably be best for you to look into an ASUS X470 board as ASUS generally has the best bios and there is a lot of community support when you have questions.
Thanks, I plan to put two 240 radiators I have from an old build I no longer use.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Any cl14 3200 will do. Flarex is just repasted over heatsinks on cl14 3200. So whatever is the cheapest you can get that speed and cl for do it. Flarex is just marketing hype imo. Hell the flarex kit I got on ryzen launch wouldn't even train half the time, but ryzen is much more ram friendly these days.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Wait for Ryzen 2700 / Ryzen 5 2600 series CPUs on April 19th to make your decision. It's only 7 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts