Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had my water cooling setup in my computer for about a year and a half now and i couldnt be happier with the results.

ive switched around a few parts here and there and typically change the coolant anywhere from every 1-3 months.

one annoying thing about switching the coolant is the draining of the current coolant in the system. i have been wondering if there are any products out there that can make draining the system something that can be done real quick instead of having to undo clamps and tubes and risking making a mess.

right now my reservoir (swiftech micro-res) sits at the top of my loops in a cooler master cosmos case. im thinking i could probably put a t-line at the very bottom of the loop to make draining it a bit easy. any ideas or setups that anyone else uses here that make draining a much quick process?

also, while im draining getting all the coolant out of the radiator usually means disconnecting the radiator and emptying it out. so is there a decent method to when draining the loop i could say force some distilled water through the loop to empty out the radiator without really risking any damage to my pump if i were to accidentally run the pump while it was dry?

basically im looking for any good methods anyone might have that make draining the loop a much quicker process, cleaning the loop with distilled water a simple process of just running it through the loop, and refilling the loop with coolant something that can be done real quick. i figure theres got to be some sort of reservoir that can be used to do this, or t-line setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use a can of compressed air with the long, tiny spray tip stuck into the tubing where I fill it and squeezed shut around it. With the drain open, I shoot some air into the system for a few seconds and it helps to evacuate a lot of the coolant. It doesn't get every bit of it but it does remove a great deal of it.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
You can used canned air, a air compressor or what some guys do is just take a upper line loose and blow through it.

A drain line is something I wouldn't do without anymore, makes it really easy to keep my loop clean.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
You can used canned air, a air compressor or what some guys do is just take a upper line loose and blow through it.

A drain line is something I wouldn't do without anymore, makes it really easy to keep my loop clean.
100% agree about the drain port, worth it with all the changing of parts that I do

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
I just cut a plastic "T" into my lowest line somewhere after the pump, put a long enough piece of tubing on it so that I can flip it over into a bucket to drain. I Cap it with one of these.Brass Fill Port ..Or sometimes one of these.1/2" Brass Plug .1/2" brass rod would do just as well.

You can get little line valves to, that way you just put the longer drain line on when its time to drain it. I have one like that on my bench, I use a 3/4" PVC ball valve on it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts