Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into my BIOS and reset it, saved and exited, and then when I logged back into Windows my previous overclock was gone but it's still not default. It used to be 3.25GHz, now it's hovering around 2786.1GHz, while the default is of course 2.67GHz.

What's going on?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Doesnt sound like a bad thing, Try clearing the CMOS, rebooting, save and exit, boot again and try.

EDIT: Also check the multiplier and clock speeds in your bios to make sure that they are correct to your stock operation

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddly
View Post

Doesnt sound like a bad thing, Try clearing the CMOS, rebooting, save and exit, boot again and try.

EDIT: Also check the multiplier and clock speeds in your bios to make sure that they are correct to your stock operation

The multiplier is x21, the default is x20. I'll check the clock speed in the BIOS in a minute.

One thing I'm not clear on is how to clear the CMOS. I know exactly where the little red button saying "reset CMOS" is, but do I press it when my PC is on? When I'm in the BIOS? When everything is unplugged? I'm not not sure when to do it.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aelius
View Post

The multiplier is x21, the default is x20. I'll check the clock speed in the BIOS in a minute.

One thing I'm not clear on is how to clear the CMOS. I know exactly where the little red button saying "reset CMOS" is, but do I press it when my PC is on? When I'm in the BIOS? When everything is unplugged? I'm not not sure when to do it.

Turn your computer off. Hold the CMOS button for about 5 seconds and release. Restart your computer (It might restart on its own twice).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Make sure to set everything back to the default. If this doesnt work clear the CMOS

Unplug your power cord and pull the battery out for 1 minute. This will completly reset your BIOS back to default. Remember any certain settings your have saved regarding booting, mem timings, voltage ect.

All the info will be lost and you have to reset everything you have changed in the past.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spuddly
View Post

Make sure to set everything back to the default. If this doesnt work clear the CMOS

Unplug your power cord and pull the battery out for 1 minute. This will completly reset your BIOS back to default. Remember any certain settings your have saved regarding booting, mem timings, voltage ect.

All the info will be lost and you have to reset everything you have changed in the past.

I didn't set anything up with the CMOS or the BIOS or anything like that, I had someone do it for me. If I reset the CMOS, what kind of information will be lost that I should know beforehand so I can re-enter it after?

And is it necessary to remove the battery? I looked at it, and it's very inaccessible unless I unplug some things and I would really like to avoid having to do that.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
My i7 860 has done this before too. Im not sure why but I was thinking it raised the bclk automatically when I set the XMP profile for my RAM. My RAM would not run at 1600mhz with the default bclk setting and multi, so it may have had to increase the bclk to compensate for the 1600 mhz RAM speed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Clearing the CMOS can be done several ways. Taking out the battery, Switching a jumper around, pressing a button. I just suggested that because that is an option for everyone.

The motherboard will be reset to the original factory settings once the CMOS is cleared. No other info will be lost on your HDD or anything

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I reset the CMOS (correctly, I assume, because when I rebooted it said that CMOS was resetting and I had to press F1 to acknowledge and continue). But CPUz is still showing it as 2786MHz & x21.

In the BIOS, interestingly, the multiplier is shown as x20 - the processor's default. I'm not sure what CPU speed the BIOS indicates, it just says "AUTO" next to "Uncore frequency".

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
yah turbo mode, bumps it to 21x multi randomly

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is as far as i can go with it. Im not that familiar with i7s. What stormX2 says is wierd that it bumps your multiplier by 1x randomly(there isnt a setting for turbo mode).

Like I said first off being 100mhz or so above stock should give you any problems.

Id look around for some info on Turbo Mode for you but im at work and i got stuff to do

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
I'm not all that familiar wit i7 but,try rebooting again,completely shutting down instead of restarting.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post
yah turbo mode, bumps it to 21x multi randomly
Cool, that was it. I disabled turbo mode in EVGA E-Leet and it's down to x20 multiplier but the speed is now 2654MHz. While it's only 11MHz slower than default, I'm just wondering if this is indicative of a problem?

Furthermore, the other settings shown in CPUz are not default i7 settings, as far as I can tell. Here's what it shows:

The thing is, I found this image online which is someone's default i7 920 settings.

So my QPI Link speed is almost a GHz slower and my voltages are lower. Is this normal?

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aelius View Post
Cool, that was it. I disabled turbo mode in EVGA E-Leet and it's down to x20 multiplier but the speed is now 2654MHz. While it's only 11MHz slower than default, I'm just wondering if this is indicative of a problem?

Furthermore, the other settings shown in CPUz are not default i7 settings, as far as I can tell. Here's what it shows:

The thing is, I found this image online which is someone's default i7 920 settings.

So my QPI Link speed is almost a GHz slower and my voltages are lower. Is this normal?
What's your RAM speed?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
What's your RAM speed?
According to CPUz, "NB Frequency" is 2123MHz and the "DRAM Frequency" is 531MHz. I have no idea what those two are, but that's what it says. My default RAM speed should be 1600MHz, but I don't see that number anywhere in the "Memory" tab of CPUz. Hmm...

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Your voltage is lower probably because of speedstep. What speed is your RAM supposed to be running at? Looks like you have it on auto and it is running slower than stock speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts