Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this thread and it seems most people play on 1680x1050. Can someone please explain the pros/cons for resolution in games (I'm talking about high-level competitive gaming, not casual gaming
), you know, stuff like if the response time significantly slower in 1920x1200 than in 1024x768 or not, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
the higher the better. more precision, less time taken to process a non-native resolution (correct me on that if i'm wrong)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Play at whatever res your game can keep its minimum frame rates above 60fps (although 30+ is playable)

for instance I play l4d2 at 2048x1152. Is the game play any different than at 1366x768?
No, prettier maybe, but when the game is always keep running never stop firing...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flooom
View Post

... most people play on 1680x1050.

The reason most people play @ this resolution is probably because most people have 19" wide screen monitors, and this is the most popular native resolution for that particular size of screen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flooom
View Post

Can someone please explain the pros/cons for resolution in games (I'm talking about high-level competitive gaming, not casual gaming
), you know, stuff like if the response time significantly slower in 1920x1200 than in 1024x768 or not, etc.

There are no cons to having a high resolution except when your system and/or video card can't keep up with the particular resolution you're trying to display on the monitor. That would result in jumpiness and a general lack of smoothness.

A high resolution usually means a larger screen, which can help the player see things better than if they were using a smaller monitor of that particular screen type. Different screen types have different levels of performance. The best screens for gaming have the lowest possible amount of delay and highest integrity of image between the output signal on the video card and the eye of the user... and performance does vary widely.

In general, the best gaming screens are:
1. large resolution CRT (old style monitors) running 1680x1050 or above
2. Large (23"+) TN panel LCD screens with proven low response time running 1920x1080 or above
3. Your run-of-the-mill 17"-19" CRT monitor
4. All other LCD monitors

·
Banned
4,012 Posts
yep CRT is supreme no response time and the best color clarity sadly there disappearing from the market but my 1600x1200 is awesome

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flooom View Post
I saw this thread and it seems most people play on 1680x1050. Can someone please explain the pros/cons for resolution in games (I'm talking about high-level competitive gaming, not casual gaming

Thanks.
There is not benefit other than being able to have a larger monitor that keeps a clear picture. Getting a higher resolution screen won't improve your game, gameplay, or give you any advantages (assuming 1440x900 and greater) it will just give you better picture, though I am willing to bet most people couldn't tell the difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 if put under scientific test conditions.

Mostly higher resolution just means bigger monitor, because stretching lower resolutions across a larger surface looks bad.

·
Banned
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust
View Post

There is not benefit other than being able to have a larger monitor that keeps a clear picture. Getting a higher resolution screen won't improve your game, gameplay, or give you any advantages (assuming 1440x900 and greater) it will just give you better picture, though I am willing to bet most people couldn't tell the difference between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 if put under scientific test conditions.

Mostly higher resolution just means bigger monitor, because stretching lower resolutions across a larger surface looks bad.

well i choose to disagree my CRT renders 800x600 and 1600x1200 and as for clarity its the same lol and the 800x600 only looks worse because there isnt as much detail in the models at 800x600 and alot of texture details are lost but the actual game looks fine god bless CRT we can do 800x600 one minute and 1600x1200 the next

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
They need to revolutionize crt's, the picture quality is so crisp and bright it makes my underwear crunchy

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSandman
View Post

well i choose to disagree my CRT renders 800x600 and 1600x1200 and as for clarity its the same lol and the 800x600 only looks worse because there isnt as much detail in the models at 800x600 and alot of texture details are lost but the actual game looks fine god bless CRT we can do 800x600 one minute and 1600x1200 the next

I am not really sure what you are disagreeing with?

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust View Post

This is totally wrong. It does effect gameplay, more pixels means more detail and generally that is a good thing. I have a 22" Samsung 226BW that is 1680x1050 and a T260HD that is 25.5" and 1920x1200 and while both are great monitors for their own reasons the higher resolution in games and movies makes a big difference. At least for me personally.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
This is totally wrong. It does effect gameplay, more pixels means more detail and generally that is a good thing. I have a 22" Samsung 226BW that is 1680x1050 and a T260HD that is 25.5" and 1920x1200 and while both are great monitors for their own reasons the higher resolution in games and movies makes a big difference. At least for me personally.
Please explain? If you mean it effects gameplay because it looks better, than I might agree with you, but if you mean it changed the gameplay in any other way... Well then I don't know what you are trying to say and you need to unpack that a little more.

Yes more pixels means more detail, but when you are already at 1440x900 or so resolution you have enough detail to play the game. You are never going to play better because you moved from a 19" to a 24" unless you have really poor eye sight.

I'll say this again, resolution does not effect gameplay, only visuals, and I would be willing to bet that most average gamers wouldn't be able to spot different resolutions in a controlled test.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I use 1400x900 19" and no problems at all. If I buy new bigger monitor with 1920x1080 would I see much improvement? Does that change eat much performance too btw?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WIGILOCO
View Post

I use 1400x900 19" and no problems at all. If I buy new bigger monitor with 1920x1080 would I see much improvement? Does that change eat much performance too btw?

You wouldn't even need that 4890 playing at 1400x900.

And yeah, your performance hit is going to change. But if your gpu has enough memory it should have no problem maxing out alot of titles with still playable framrates (30+)

My rig still maxes out most games, but I am reaching the "cap" on some games because I only have a 512MB memory GPU.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I am well informed of the Korean Starcraft Pro-Gaming Scene. They are the most hardcore gamers in the world, and guess what they use? CRT Monitors, best response time you'll ever get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would get a CRT, but lugging something like that around for LAN parties and stuff would not be ideal. How much different is the input lag/response time from an LCD? What about an LCD at 120hz?

So it's true that anything above 1440x900 is just going to have a clearer picture? You won't be able to see more to your sides/above or below you in an FPS with 1680x1050/1920x1200?

I was looking at the Samsung 2233RZ 120hz 1680x1050 LCD monitor, it looks great. If what you guys said about resolutions is true, I think that it would be a good choice to get for me instead of a 1920x1200 60hz LCD monitor.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
I play at 1920x1200 most the time. Usually the more graphics memory you have, the better framerates you will have at high resolutions. The hz level is lower with most cheaper monitors(at high resolutions), my monitor only goes 60hz @ 1920X1200 but can go 75hz at smaller resolutions(overall you can't tell much of a difference).

I say if your Framerates are good at high-res play @ high-res because it looks better.

A 120hz LCD monitor is going to cost you some serious bread.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts