Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a monitor that is X inches in size and you play certain games at X resolution, if you increase your resolution with the proper ratio for your monitor, are you in fact making objects (such as people you want to shoot in your game) smaller and slightly more difficult to shoot?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
So you're asking what happens if (for example) you have a 20" monitor at 720x480, and you bump it up to 1680 x 1050?

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
You should make the people smaller, but they would probably look really pixely (like if you took AA off).

Don't quote me on that one though.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
From what my eyes tell me, the size of objects doesn't change on resolution change. Just the quality at which they are rendered.

·
Registered
295 Posts
only fov changes character size, i think...

low fov = more zoomed in = bigger target
high fov = zoomed out/wide angle = smaller target

also, if you run 4:3 rez on a widescreen monitor, the targets will be stretched out and fatter

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conley
View Post

So you're asking what happens if (for example) you have a 20" monitor at 720x480, and you bump it up to 1680 x 1050?

yes.

in my case i have a ''22 and have a preference for 1024x768

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Field View Post
yes.

in my case i have a ''22 and have a preference for 1024x768
wth? Seriously? Does your game not look like ass?

Have you tried playing at the "native" resolution on your monitor at all?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T1nk3rb311 View Post
wth? Seriously? Does your game not look like ass?

Have you tried playing at the "native" resolution on your monitor at all?
Yeah, most 22" monitors have a resolution of 1680x1050. Why is it so low?

·
Registered
550 Posts
22" monitor with res of 1680x1050 = More pixel pitch, less res in X space, bigger objects.
22" monitor with res of 1920x1080 = Less pixel pitch, more res in X space, smaller objects.

That's why I want my 1080P monitor to be not smaller than 27" and that's why I didn't buy a 20" monitor when 1680x1050 monitors first hit the market.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
The bigger the monitor the easier it is to aim.
When you increase the resolution it becomes easier to see the person and the size doesn't change.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
More pixels = more view = more better.

You want the highest pixel density possible. Unless you need glasses but don't wear them, higher res is better.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
since you have an ati card you can enable image scaling set it to centered and there you go

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
some pros game with low res because supposedly it promotes better aim and less chance to miss, I tried it and found it difficult when your enemy is a conflagration of 3 pixels.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
Umm, i dont think the size difference is going to be that big of a deal that it will completely hinder your ability to be good at whatever game your playing...

Play at your native resolution. Its the right thing to do.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by l337sft
View Post

Umm, i dont think the size difference is going to be that big of a deal that it will completely hinder your ability to be good at whatever game your playing...

winning and beating other players is all in the details. everything adds up. the goal is not to be ''medium skilled.'' You understand this.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Impagliazzo
View Post

22" monitor with res of 1680x1050 = More pixel pitch, less res in X space, bigger objects.
22" monitor with res of 1920x1080 = Less pixel pitch, more res in X space, smaller objects.

That's why I want my 1080P monitor to be not smaller than 27" and that's why I didn't buy a 20" monitor when 1680x1050 monitors first hit the market.

No. If the aspect ratio is the same, the game will render everything the same size (think about it, with that logic, at 640*480, you'd only be able to see the gun). No, on non gaming things, then yes, you'd be right

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJ5Broli
View Post

some pros game with low res because supposedly it promotes better aim and less chance to miss, I tried it and found it difficult when your enemy is a conflagration of 3 pixels.

This

Honestly, set your settings as high as you can while making sure your framerate is good enough to not hinder you. Things like resolution, etc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by philhalo66
View Post

since you have an ati card you can enable image scaling set it to centered and there you go

what does that do?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Impagliazzo
View Post

I am pretty sure this is wrong. That only works for objects that are measured in pixels, like desktop icons. In-game objects are not measured in pixels, and will therefore be roughly the same size, but much more distorted (if you're keeping the screen size constant while changing resolution).

If you want bigger in game objects, you should increase screen size while keeping the resolution constant, thus increasing the area that would be used to draw, say, a head.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts