Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 29" CRT TV. I was thinking of connecting my Radeon 5750 to it via a VGA to composite connector. At what max resolution will it run at? will it be Ok to game on it? Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Just try it and find out. =P

·
Registered
836 Posts
The max resolution will probably be 720x576. This is the resolution almost all CRT TVs have.
It isn't really worth it. The TV will probably sync at 24 or 25hz and this will cause the image to be really crappy.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkX 1
View Post

Ok so i have a 29" CRT TV. I was thinking of connecting my Radeon 5750 to it via a VGA to composite connector. At what max resolution will it run at? will it be Ok to game on it? Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

The 5570 intergrated VGA output is capable of max resolution 2048x1536. If your CRT has a native of that resolution, you will get 2048x1536, else the max the CRT has.

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken1649
View Post

The 5570 intergrated VGA output is capable of max resolution 2048x1536. If your CRT has a native of that resolution, you will get 2048x1536, else the max the CRT has.

I have the 5750 with no native VGA connector, I'm using a DVI to VGA connector right now, so i'll have to use the VGA to composite connector to connect to the TV. It's just a generic run-off-the-mill 29" CRT.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I have the 5750 with no native VGA connector, I'm using a DVI to VGA connector right now, so i'll have to use the VGA to composite connector to connect to the TV. It's just a generic run-off-the-mill 29" CRT.

Yes, same with 5750 max VGA output is 2048x1536 but the composite max is limited to 640Ã-480 in 16 colors and going lower into higher colors.

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649;15210156
Yes, same with 5750 max VGA output is 2048x1536 but the composite max is limited to 640×480 in 16 colors and going lower into higher colors.
Ok what about a DVI to composite converter? Can i directly connect the card to the TV using it without a signal converter?

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ok what about a DVI to composite converter? Can i directly connect the card to the TV using it without a signal converter?

The max resolution doesn't change regardless of adapter being a composite. If your CRT has a connector that is compatible to your card, yes you can.

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken1649
View Post

The max resolution doesn't change regardless of adapter being a composite. If your CRT has a connector that is compatible to your card, yes you can.

The DVI end is going to connect to the card and the composite cables are going to connect to the TV. So will it work directly without the darned signal converter box?

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The DVI end is going to connect to the card and the composite cables are going to connect to the TV. So will it work directly without the darned signal converter box?

If you simply using some adapter like this http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCQQ8gIwAA#

Without the converter, the display might look distorted and discoloration because of the different color space. To make it works correctly, you have to get the converter which might end up more costly than buying a new gaming monitor. So it is not worth it. But if you want to try with the simple adapter, by all means, it costs about $2-5.

·
Iconoclast
30,939 Posts
The TV itself is likely going to be the limiting factor, not the component connection. I would not expect more than 800x600 out of any CRT TV. There are some professional CRT displays that look like TVs that can do higher, but they cost a fortune, and chances are that if it has a TV tuner, it's not one of these.

Edit: I see you said composite, not component. Composite is only one step above RF and is probably the crappiest connection you could use. Unless you like gaming at 640x480 with poor quality even for that resolution, I would not bother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasospaok123
View Post

The TV will probably sync at 24 or 25hz and this will cause the image to be really crappy.

Nearly all CRT TVs are 50 or 60Hz.

·
Banned
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless;15210578
The TV itself is likely going to be the limiting factor, not the component connection. I would not expect more than 800x600 out of any CRT TV. There are some professional CRT displays that look like TVs that can do higher, but they cost a fortune, and chances are that if it has a TV tuner, it's not one of these.

Nearly all CRT TVs are 50 or 60Hz.
I could live with that because on my 15" monitor the refresh rate is 60Hz. For relaxing on the bed and playing on the TV with the 360 controller will the TV make do, 'coz i hate the 15 incher. The TV is a Samsung Plano 29" CRT

Edit: My mistake, i meant component. One more question, I used to the same TV to connect to my XBOX 360 using the bundled composite cables. So what i'm wondering is that did the XBOX games run at a resolution of 800*600 as well? 'Coz the quality seemed sharp to me.

·
Iconoclast
30,939 Posts
The Samsung Plano is actually a CRT HDTV and can do 1280x720p or 1080i. Would probably make a decent 720p monitor with a component connection.

I keep forgetting that CRT HDTVs even existed, as they were quickly supplanted by plasma and then LCD.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts