Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how come whenever i shut down my computer in windows, it restart instead?

i'm using windows vista ultimate 64 bit.

please help me!!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rather than using the shutdown button in the operating system, just press the power button, but dont hold it. If it restarts, then you have a hardware problem, if it shuts of like normal, then you have a software problem. Beyond that, im not exactly sure what you would do. I guess if its a hardware problem, then flash your bios, and if its a software problem, ummm...., just use the physical button?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Give a little more specifics. You mean every time you click shut down it always comes back on? Has it always done this? Is this a new OS install thats doing it or did it just start doing it out of the blue?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it just started in the blue. I didn't know about ti until today. whenever i go to the start menu and click shut down, and it restart. I been suing this OS since i built this system.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
OK, stupid question, but what color is the "Shutdown" button?

Also, make a shutdown shortcut on your desktop and see if it still does it. (Right click on desktop, make new shortcut, type "shutdown -s -t 0" without the quotes name it, save it then click on it).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it seems to work if i click the red button on the start menu. but when i go to the arrow with the log off and lock options and clic shut down from there it restart instead of shuting down. ANd i downloaded a gadget from microsoft gadget for vista sidebar with the shut down button it seems to work too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts