Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my dad a computer for Christmas, and I found an old Gateway Essentials desktop in my closet (?, I know). I took a picture to get an idea for a mod and this was born! What would you guys think? I have some black vinyl dye, and I'm giving myself a budget of about $45 on the case.

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liability
View Post

To hell with that!

Just put the $45 towards a real case... That thing isn't worth putting any amount of money into.

I agree that buying a new case would be a better investment but if you want to mod, do this gateway

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd love to see how the vinyl dye turns out. Been thinking about vinyl dying(?) my HAF's front bezel white, so I really want to see some vinyl dye on something.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I may as well dye it, huh? Even if I do buy one, there's no point in the case and dye going to waste.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Awesome, I can't wait to see what it looks like! You totally need to do this. Screw buying a new case, because for Christmas it is the thought that counts! It will show your dad that you put work and effort into making him a present. Subbed!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a dremel, but I've never cut anything intricate like letters. How would you guys go about this?

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekFreak View Post
Alright, I'll start cleaning off the case tonight, maybe start painting tomorrow.
Cut before you paint/dye it. Well.....I guess it's not a huge deal if you don't but it'll look better if you do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking that, but I need to practice cutting the letters first. I don't want to mess up the case. Good thing I have some extras!

·
Chackie Jan
3,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekFreak View Post
I was thinking that, but I need to practice cutting the letters first. I don't want to mess up the case. Good thing I have some extras!
Maybe instead of cutting letters out you should just print out the letters on paper, cut those out with an exacto knife and use it as a stencil for spraypainting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kind of want the letters so that when the PC is off, they wont show, and when it's on they light up. But if cutting them is too difficult, then I go with the stencil.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
Great idea. The thought and effort would be a cool gift. Good luck.

·
Registered
928 Posts
That's what I did with my skull. I printed a pic of the skull on adhesive paper, traced the design with an exacto knife, which etched the design onto my case, then I use a dremel to cut out the design.

Finally I used the exacto knife, razor blade & sand paper to smoothen & clean up my design.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Something just hit me... It's only been around 15°F to 35°F the past couple weeks. I don't think any paint would work in that kind of weather. Any ideas? By the way, that skull is incredible looking!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Subbed because the idea is very nice, and the idea in general looks awesome. No you might not want to do some painting in that weather, but I suppose it could be done, though probably isn't recommended. I painted my HAF 932 in the summer.

To that picture above me with that skull, that came out fantastic! Very nice work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts