Overclock.net banner

Retired but returning!

7049 5
Hello peeps!
A lot has happened since I last logged on here - married, divorced. . . **** happened, etc, etc , LOL!
Ihave a few questions for ya all!

1). I still have a HP Z600 which is gathering dust in a closet. What CPU project would it be best used on? Dual 6 core CPU's + 48GB RAM. (sorry can't remember much more than that but it may be in my sig. . . if we still have those?!)

2).I am looking to build a new computer in the New Year and run it on BOINC. How do the newest AMD CPU's fare? Back when I was running my Intel Ivy Bridge CPU. Intel were by far the best choice in a new build. I gather that AMD is takign the lead in core count and overall performance but what about BOINC?

3). I am still running HD 7950 / 7850 GPU's. Are they still worth boithering with?

4). AMD GPU's used to be way better than NVIDIA at crunching data. Is this still the case? Reccomend me a GPU <£500

If you have read this far, thank you. if you have read and answered, thanks a LOT!!

Cheers all

P.s. Good to see that Dark and Tex are still here :D

Doc
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
6,497 Posts
seems AMD gpus still have more FP64 flops unless you get the highest nvidia gpu to compare. 7950s should still be fine.. the size of the work really hasnt changed... its just the faster cards get done with the work faster.

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers matey - which projects have the best work for a 7950? I have found GPU Grid but can't find anything on WCG. . . which I am running on my CPU at the mo.
I will read through all the appropiate threads when I get a chance! I am also running on whatever driver Windows 10 installed for the 7950. Is there a specific driver I should go for? I seem to remember their being a better driver than whatever one was current when I used it last. Thanks for the help!

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I instaleld the latest ATI / AMD driver for my 7950 and couldn't get aqny tasks for Collatz. But MW is working just fine!
I have a 7850 in my workstation and may get that back up and running soon. I just need to see how much my electricity bill goes up by first!

I will be looking into a new build next year and will be back then for advice on my first AMD CPU based system. (y)

· Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For everyone's info: I was getting 6,500 points per task, taking 22 minutes with my 7950 on the Moo! project
I enabled CPU tasks on Collatz today and that gave me GPU tasks. ( i wasn't getting anything for the GPU until I requested CPU tasks too!)
They are getting me 36,000 points for a 35 minute run time.
Collatz all the way for max point output!

EDIT. To add that I am in the UK and my Electricity bill has gone from £2 per day to around £5 per day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.