Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. i'm retiring my 4 years build. and I've been looking around in the market in my country and i found the below available in the
The build won't be instantaneous and will take me about 3 month to save the money. and i want this build to last for another 4 years so all your comments and guidance is much appreciated.

NOTE: I got 1/3 of the budget now. might be able to get it all by the end of the month.

[*]CPU: Intel 3770K
[*] GPU: EVGA 660TI
[*] RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (4X2)
[*] MOBO: ASRock Z77 OC Formula
[*] HDD: W.D 1TB 1000RPM :will throw in a 128GB SSD if i can get the money"
[*] Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
[*] PSU: Cooler Master GX650W
[*] Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
[*]

after the Opinions taken i've changed to this

Motherboard GigaByte Z77-UD3H
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
Ram: CORSAIR VENGEANCE CL9 1600 2X4GB
GPU: SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5
Case: Thermaltake | Overseer RX-I
PSU: XFX Pro Series 650 Watt
Cooling CM Hype 2r 212 Evo
HDD: SeaGate Barracuda 1TB
Getting SSD after i recover from the $$ spent.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
i7 is a waste of money unless you know for sure you will be able to utilize the hyper threading. Just my opinion.

Right now I think that AMD 8-Core is the way to go. If you don't want AMD then wait for the next Intel generation. You already waited 4 years you might as well wait it out.

Either that or go for the cheapest z77 board and a used 2500k. The 3rd gens are PITA. I traded my 2500k for a 3570k and regret it.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks givemedew for your advice and as i said that is a primary build. and finding used reliable stuff in my country isn't easy.
Never been an AMD fan. i'll work on saving the money and if the next gen PSU is out by then i might consider it. issue is although i like intel they r like the apple corp in cpu industry. they release stuff so fast and the newer models are always overpriced.

If the rig above is sufficient to let me survive for another 4 years at the tie i buy it i would buy it then.

any other suggestions and advice is more than welcome.

·
Registered
447 Posts
what are you going to be doing with it? HT might not be necessary for you. If it is not, then you can drop $100 down and get a 3570k, and put that money into a 7950/7970 or 670 and last longer.

MOtherboard might be a little overkill, but that is not necessarily bad. Look at a UD5H and see which is cheaper where you are. Both are good, but I would go for the UD5H myself.

HDD. DOn't know about egypt, but here (stateside USA) Seagate drives are cheaper for the same size and are still reliable and fast.
SSD should you get it, I wholehartedly recommend Samsung or OCZ drives. Very fast and durable drives.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the purpose of the rig is gaming mainly.. my last build lasted good 2 years and then memory demands on video cards got higher so i went back to my xbox 360.
Now with some huge titles coming this year and next year. i just need a new rig to last for another 3 solid years.
will look into your suggestions and feedback. yet is the 3570 enough for some serious gaming?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The 3570k is a 3770k without hyperthreading. Gaming really does not use 8 threads yet, so the 3570k is a better buy. It will allow you to put more into GPUs or other parts of your system and thus to last longer.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@wolfking also i've had the UD3R on my current build and i find it amazing. OC was nice and easy. and i've been using Gigabyte for a little while and i think i like what you are going for. the cpu will be my main issue as i said in my upper post. if the power of the i5 is equivalent to the i7 i would go for it.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have also checked that price difference and it will be exactly what allows me to get EVGA 670FTW edtition. if that will balance the equation i'm up for it hands down.

·
Still kinda lost
3,419 Posts
I only got the i7 because the i5 was 350$ and the i7 was 370$ thats my country
biggrin.gif
so go with the i5 and a better GPU

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Awsan and @Boris. what's funny is both of you guys own an i7 machine. hearing such a feedback about the 3570K from you sends me mixed signals. anyway i'm going slow as i mentioned earlier as it will take me about 3 months to save for the build. so i will have time to think it over and also make sure of my choices
smile.gif

·
Still kinda lost
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzinho View Post

@Awsan and @Boris. what's funny is both of you guys own an i7 machine. hearing such a feedback about the 3570K from you sends me mixed signals. anyway i'm going slow as i mentioned earlier as it will take me about 3 months to save for the build. so i will have time to think it over and also make sure of my choices
smile.gif
then wait up for Haswell in june!

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the price tag is the same I sure will. If it's overpriced. I would consider the current gen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I agree with getting the Gigabyte over the Asus board. The power delivery is just amazing. But in all honesty even the cheapest z77 board w/ 4phase power will get you to 4.4GHz so it's really personal preference. As for HT like others have said it isn't usually worth it. One thing though I want to point out is that HT is not doubling the amount of cores and only significantly increases performance in very limited situations. Also I do not know about 2nd and 3rd gen i7s but with the 1st 900 series i7s HT caused a lot of heat, in fact it caused around an extra 10c on my i7 so I turned HT off.

Also HT can cause a reduction in performance if the core leveling is not handled properly... For example if the pc is running 3 heavy threads and windows ends up putting 2 of the threads on 1 physical core because it thinks that core is actually 2 cores then it would actually have lower performance than an i5 where no matter what each core is a real core.

I don't really know how your area works with new releases of CPUs but in the US the new processors are usually around what the old processors where and sometimes the old procs don't even go down in price.

I guess you will know for sure in a few months. Also I am currently a NVIDIA user but you may be best off getting a 7950 for price/performance.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzinho View Post

smile.gif
Yeah i7 is nice to have for desktop work because of the extra threads when heavily multitasking, but it makes no difference for games - very few can even make use of 4 threads. The reason I say not to bother with it in your case is because if your budget is tight, you'll get a much bigger improvement from a 670 and an SSD than you will from a CPU with 4 more threads that you'll rarely make use of.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Welcome, fellow Egyptian. I'm from Egypt too, maybe I can help you a bit
biggrin.gif
The board is a bit overkill, something like Z77 Extreme4 should be sufficient.
The 3570k to the 3770k will be little difference in games, the saved money should go towards a better GPU.
The PSU isn't so good as the reviews state, you can find something good like XFX Pro Series 650 Watts within a good price range. If you're gonna SLI, you need a better PSU for sure. The XFX Pro series 750W+ should be good.
Tell me your budget in USD and EGP and I'll be able to help you more
biggrin.gif

·
Still kinda lost
3,419 Posts
Hala! i just noticed you are Arabic! its nice to meet other Arabs that are into Overclocking and Hardware( although i am the only Yemeni thats over here T_T) in general all the points that have been stated are true,Like i said i choose the i7 because it was only 20 dollars more expensive than the i5,Get the gigabyte motherboard + get a better PSU, i would suggest searching for an AMD 7950 as its cheaper and faster than the GTX 670!

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
If your primary use for this rig is gaming, your primary focus should be the GPU. If you get a current generation i7 and even a Titan, 690 or 7990, I guarantee you will find yourself GPU bottlenecked before you find yourself CPU bottlenecked.
Look around for a cheap 2500k and put as much toward the video card as possible. I also recommend going with an AMD GPU because they tend to perform better for cheaper, but even more importantly, they have more VRAM which is extremely important for a long term video card. AMD cards also have more theoretical bandwidth which didn't mean much in the past, but means a lot now because they are focusing much more on software optimization. As time goes by, your card will likely improve.

A 7970 is within reach. You should get it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What about going with an I5, 7950 and putting the extra money into an ssd? Nothing beats a fast boot time and instant program loading.

Unfortunately from what i've seen except for the odd clearance sale CPU's (Intel for sure) don't drop with the next generation's release.
However since amd is holding off on the next GPU line, until whenever, from a couple of things I've read they may be bolstering the their higher end cards. Not too sure exactly what that means but there may be ghz edition 7950's. Since you said that you've had vram issues I vote 7950. In North America the 7950 is price similarly to the 660ti.

If you part out your old computer you could easily reuse your power supply and hdd to get a nice 250gb SSD.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts