Overclock.net banner

Returning air in rad and confused

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  vf- 
#1 ·
I put my water-cooling together in March, pressure test no leaks lovely jubbly. My memory and CPU loop keeps getting air pockets in the radiator which sits at the top of the case, Alphacool XT30 V2. I have a Corsair XD5 that sits below, then to my memory, then the CPU TechN which has no bubbles then to the radiator and back to the XD5. I only notice as the space I leave in the reservoir 2/3 inch reduces to 1/2 inch, give the case shake and tilt and bubbles appear from the radiator. I have my GPU on a separate loop and don't suffer the same problem at all, however the radiators 2x480 XT45 are on the front vertical and the XD5 is mounted on the radiator. Any ideas how to prevent this I'll appreciate.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Purple Light Helmet Human body

Top of CPU block no bubbles
Purple Violet Electric blue Magenta Engineering

See less See more
#3 ·
Do you have a bigger picture of your entire loop?

Is that a crack in your CPU block?
I saw that, but it doesn't leak under pressure. I also didn't do them up tight.
Purple Hat Violet Fedora Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Purple Microphone Violet Pink

Blue Engineering Electric blue Machine Space

#4 ·
Is that a crack?
Purple Water Automotive lighting Violet Magenta

I don't see any bubbles that would concern me. Tiny bubbles are normal.

HOWEVER, I would make some recommendations.

First, flip both radiators around.

Second, make one loop.

But at least flip the radiators and run the loop like the attached photo (don't hate the Paint).
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electrical supply Electricity Engineering

Third, congratulations, your build is officially the first build ever that I've seen with a side mounted sound card. Well done!

#5 · (Edited)
Is that a crack?
View attachment 2573455

I don't see any bubbles that would concern me. Tiny bubbles are normal.

HOWEVER, I would make some recommendations.

First, flip both radiators around.

Second, make one loop.

But at least flip the radiators and run the loop like the attached photo (don't hate the Paint).
View attachment 2573456

Third, congratulations, your build is officially the first build ever that I've seen with a side mounted sound card. Well done!
It could be a scratch when I used a pipe wrench to do up the fitting. Those minor cracks around the fitting I reckon are thermal stress cracks, CPU gets very warm when pulling 275 watts.

I planned two loops as I thought the GPU and CPU would create a lot of heat and I didn't want the GPU and CPU to cook the RAM and make them error. As it is the GPU doesn't get hot 45-50'C, water 30-35'C on two rads and that loop is fine. The CPU can get warm when stressed with cinebench @ 82'C, while gaming it's perfectly fine around 60'C, water about 37'C. Somehow the air pocket in the reservoir is getting into the rad, I'll have to stop getting my CPU so hot and see what happens.

That sound card is on my little HTPC media thing 5700G, it makes my Sony XM2 headphones sound a lot better than onboard sound.

#6 ·
Your front rad is probably trapping air since it is the highest point of the loop. When you bleed the system you'll want to run the pump full speed to try to push the air out of the rad as much as possible. You can rotate the system around during bleeding (if possible) to try to trap the air in the res. If that doesn't do the trick you can switch the CPU rad to the front and rotate it so in/out are at the top as others have suggested. Or you can leave it alone, it will just take a long time to bleed all the air out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.