Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people. I've been away for some time now, and my first post in forever is a question.

I'm currently building a new rig, and although it's coming along nicely, I haven't sourced a good PSU for it.

I'm wondering, I have a Corsair HX-750W PSU that has been in my build now somewhere between 3 and 4 years. I cannot for the life of me remember where I bought it, so can't get a specific date. On a side note, I've found out that the HX series PSUs have a 7 year warranty which is reassuring.

What I am wondering then is would it be sensible or suitable to put this PSU into my new build. It's not going to use 750W anywho so wattage isn't the worry, it's the age etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

my seasonic S12 650w is almost 7 years old and is currently on the 3rd system build that i've used it in.

re-usability is one of the reasons why we stress quality over quantity here.
That's pretty ace dude. I know, I know, quality is good
wink.gif
. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

It should be fine.
thumb.gif

·
Subarashii Mortal
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeo772005 View Post

Hey people. I've been away for some time now, and my first post in forever is a question.

I'm currently building a new rig, and although it's coming along nicely, I haven't sourced a good PSU for it.

I'm wondering, I have a Corsair HX-750W PSU that has been in my build now somewhere between 3 and 4 years. I cannot for the life of me remember where I bought it, so can't get a specific date. On a side note, I've found out that the HX series PSUs have a 7 year warranty which is reassuring.

What I am wondering then is would it be sensible or suitable to put this PSU into my new build. It's not going to use 750W anywho so wattage isn't the worry, it's the age etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
You won't have any problem. My old PSU which was of crap quality was used in 2 different builds. It still works but its only 400w + it's not a good one so I upgraded to Seasonic M12II.
Your psu is good much better than what I used for 2 builds so you'll be fine
smile.gif

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
if it aint broke don't fix it, they say!

But if i was building a new rig with a higher pull rate I probably would get a new psu for peace of mind - but that's me
biggrin.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
4 years is not that long i say 5 years and maybe depending on what unit it is its time for a new one

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice
biggrin.gif
!
Just was a little niggle in my mind so I thought I'd ask!

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif
!
If you want to spend the money you can get something better but its not really a must

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif
!
remember one of the reasons we recommend such high quality PSU is so you can use it forever
biggrin.gif
with that said, there's nothing wrong with buying a new PSU for the sake of having a "new" PSU to match your "new" system
biggrin.gif
it's like shoes man, do you REALLY need another pair to match your outfit?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
567 Posts
With the right brands, you can keep them until they are no longer compatible. Corsairs better psus are made by Seasonic and that is all I use these days. Don't bother replacing it until it dies.
thumb.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro0428 View Post

With the right brands, you can keep them until they are no longer compatible. Corsairs better psus are made by Seasonic and that is all I use these days. Don't bother replacing it until it dies.
thumb.gif
Too bad we wont see another Seasonic made Corsair PSU ever again

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

Wat?? They aren't using SeaSonic anymore?
Seasonic got feed up with Corsair trying to tell them they cant work with anyone else and when Seasonic tried they got bullied by Corsair to back off

The EVGA NEX models sould have been Seasonic units but Corsair messed that up

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
aha corporate skumduggery, it just hurts a little when it's a brand one likes
redface.gif

nevermind CoolerMaster are rising from the ashes of my friend's motherboard to bring us nice new supplies (hint hint still waiting to hear the news that is or was under NDA Shilka!
smile.gif
)

Go on then Jakeo show us your build!
smile.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMan1971 View Post

aha corporate skumduggery, it just hurts a little when it's a brand one likes
redface.gif

nevermind CoolerMaster are rising from the ashes of my friend's motherboard to bring us nice new supplies (hint hint still waiting to hear the news that is or was under NDA Shilka!
smile.gif
)

Go on then Jakeo show us your build!
smile.gif
Its still under NDA which means i cant talk about it yet

Dont think its going to be more then 5-6 weeks max before NDA lifted

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.