Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
Hundreds of millions of hacked user names and passwords for email accounts and other websites are being traded in Russia's criminal underworld, a security expert told Reuters.

The discovery of 272.3 million stolen accounts included a majority of users of Mail.ru (MAILRq.L), Russia's most popular email service, and smaller fractions of Google (GOOGL.O), Yahoo (YHOO.O) and Microsoft (MSFT.O) email users, said Alex Holden, founder and chief information security officer of Hold Security.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-passwords-idUSKCN0XV1I6

This news is two days old but not yet posted here, and for some reason I haven't seen widespread panic yet.

Alternative sources:
The Guardian
Engadget

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Starting to think that hackers (not white hats/professional hackers that work to find breaches so they can be fixed) need to be made examples of. Harshly. I mean what else is going to stop this nonsense other than handing out exccessive punishments that clearly do not fit the crime?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
My GF told me about it a few days ago or was it yesterday???
tongue.gif

I've got gmail... hopefully I'm safe for a while
tongue.gif

At least I didn't get a text from google saying my pasword is reset or something
tongue.gif

..........................yet..............................

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also change any and all accounts associated with Gmail accounts, especially ones with the same password as the Gmail account.

·
Iconoclast
30,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

Starting to think that hackers (not white hats/professional hackers that work to find breaches so they can be fixed) need to be made examples of. Harshly. I mean what else is going to stop this nonsense other than handing out exccessive punishments that clearly do not fit the crime?
Even executing hackers wouldn't be remotely as effective as improving security.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

I mean what else is going to stop this nonsense
Start by not using the same password for every site.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
"Choosing to ignore it" seems pretty stupid. At least report there might be a lot of fakes. If you only let the allegedly FUD spreading sources talk about it, you aren't helping to promote the truthful perspective at all by just "choosing not to write about it". Creating a weird rift where not all sites even report the news just adds into doubt as in "are we being kept in the dark in purpose". Not entirely buying it either.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
hahaha, hackers can sk it, i require pone texts for any pw change on any of my websites. and sk it good ~

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
But don't worry folks we'll pour more money into Game DRM than e-mail security, wouldn't surprise me if National security was lax compared to DRM xD

Seriously though, it get's stupid all this non-sense, it doesn't get anyone anywhere but sadly there is big money in selling peoples data now, even if most of it is either bogus or out-of-date.

Edit: As a user of Hotmail and G-mail, it was nice to have been informed of this by either company. Even if my Data wasn't stolen. *Sigh* U.S Companies.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Would be nice it they at least told how current the credentials are. I'd be willing to bet that most of these accounts were compromised through spyware/malware recording your credentials so most of you should be safe... "should be".

At any rate... time for a password change just for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post

Thanks for posting this. Should we also change our overclocked gmail passwords too @Chipp?
I have not been notified of this breach having any impact on Google Apps for Business accounts, which is what we're using. An abundance of caution and regular password rotation is always good policy, but I don't think this incident is cause for alarm.

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

O boy, that is sure asking peeps. I know so many that use that single sign on from facebook or google and such. Me, password for everything and make it a darn sentence. So far no one ever got into any of my accounts. Plus, I do make sure to change them ever so often even if there is no breach of passwords. I specially have important sites force me to switch it every time I login.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivan View Post

While that's certainly a factor, that's not the only factor.

You can't pass the buck onto the ignorant PC user because ultimately, the hacker is doing something illegal and dishonest.

Blaming victims only works if the agitator is benign in intent.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts