Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off i know i dont have 15,000,000,000 posts,thast b/c i try to find answers to the questions, that i can anser,i in fact do not know it all, nor do i pretend 2 be all knowing, that: and im not a post whore, popping in and saying something like; "yeah, u r right." sometimes i go out of my way to prove a less supported counter point. and for my efforts what do i have to show for it? 500+posts and 38 rep. i must ask several questions.
1) is there a list explaining the consept of a rep worthy post?
2) Is the concept of rep'ing explaided, and understood by everyone?
3) can different users rep the same post if it is healpful to each of those, and
other subseqent ppl?
Dont take this the wrong way, im not begging for rep. it is just conerened
that i was beaing ignored, what i'm trying to say just give credit were credit
is due not just for me but for all who @least contribute to the toppic @ hand.
thank you for your time.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It realy does not answer q#3)

as well as what does this mean?

Quote:

- Do not hold grudges with rep.

oh and i think most peole seem to be stinjy with rep. or they just miss this part

Quote:

...Give rep to ANYONE who posts something that deserves acknowledgement

and how does days as a member factor into the reputation power?

Quote:

Reputation Power
Reputation power is displayed in each member's postbit. New members have a "power" of 1. Meaning, they will increase a members reputation by 1 point when they leave feedback for them. The higher your rep points, posts, days as a member etc., the higher your Reputation Power.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The simple fact is that rep should be given out for anything that a person feels is noteworthy or beneficial to the group/forum or individual. At least that's how I feel about.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nayo_450

oh and i think most peole seem to be stinjy with rep. or they just miss this part

So, did you give a rep to Yiffy for helping you out? If not, why are you complaining?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actualy i had to go some where, i was planning 2 do so as soon as i could get
back.
[edit]uh...done!! his rep is up by the substatal value of his repbe4+1

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

actualy i had to go some where, i was planning 2 do so as soon as i could get
back.
[edit]uh...done!! his rep is up by the substatal value of his repbe4+1

I dont see why worry so much about the rep thing... I go to honda message board, I have more than 4000 posts and there's no rep system, no 4ghz status, none of that. I post and help people because I want to, not just to earn a rep.

I had a whole thing typed here... then this damn 56k took a crap, and I'm not typing it again... Sorry for the incomplete post.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Nayo, Youve been here sense april, and you have 394 posts and 37 rep. thats about right.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Am I as a new user more likely to believe someone with a higher rep?
probably not.

If someone answers a question I have and helps me out will I give them rep
probably.

Is someone with a higher reps opinion more valid?
depends on if I agree with it or not ;-)

I really have no idea where I am going with this.
I'm not quite sure if I really even understand what the rep system is all about, is it a way to give a little pat on the back to people who didn't get enough positive reinforcement as a child? I just think if you help someone out, just knowing that you did should be enough, but then again, I guess a little recognition is nice every once in a while. Enough with my ramblings.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Reps, it just a way to say thanks to someone for being helpfull. A person with 500+ should be seen as someone who is very helpfull and nothing more.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
in reality, i believe, the rep system is underused. i try to give rep where it is due, and none where it isn't. i think that someone's rep points do play into their validity, because if they have so many reps, they must be doing something right, huh? look at me, i joined in sep., have 750 posts, 73 reps... i don't beg for reps and am not a rep whore, i just try to give the best information i can and when people give me rep, i appreciate it and move on. it's underused, but it's not that big of a deal...in my opinion.

back to the on-topic-ness of the thread, what do you want "to revamp the rep system" to in your opinion?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I barely ever give reps, but If I think you deserve one I'll give it to you, if not dont ask... just cuz I got the power of 3

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I don't hand reps out very much either...especially with my rep power of 5, I gotta choose wisely

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
well there is always a problem.. the rep system isnt always accurate

say a nub comes in here and has several high computing degree's and knows alot about alot

....if we went soley on the system then we should look to the 13yr old who has been here for a year and has 100 reps (no offence to anyoe)

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I don't hand reps out very much either...especially with my rep power of 5, I gotta choose wisely

I dont hand them out either. But I do rep every who helps me when I make a thread. And every once in while I'll rep the big helpers that are always actively helping others just for that.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I dont hand them out either. But I do rep every who helps me when I make a thread. And every once in while I'll rep the big helpers that are always actively helping others just for that.

so back to the original topic of discussion, what needs to be modified about the rep system?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.