Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen,

I'm considering a rather big "upgrade" to my current rig, or rather, an entirely new rig stealing a few parts from my current one. My question regards the practicality of reversing the airflow in a case.

My computer sits next to my desk, below and a bit in front of my window mounted air conditioner. As summer is rapidly approaching, this AC unit will be blowing nearly non-stop. Since the cold air flows from above and behind my case, I'm considering: attaching the H70 so it pulls air in from the back and expels it into the case, as well as reversing the top mounted fans for intake. The front mounted fans would be upgraded for higher flow and reversed to push the air out.

Are there any particular dangers to this setup?

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
actually no, as long as you have as much exhaust as you have intake youll have no issues

EDIT since your in a 912, id set the side panel slot exhaust too if you turn your top intake and h70 intake

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
As long as you create an internal airflow path for air to exhaust cleanly you should be ok. Each rig I have built has required a different airflow path based on location and hardware used. On several rigs setting the top fan as intake resulted in nice temperature reductions and I wasn't even dealing with AC units
smile.gif

Just make sure you make a plan for a good clean exhaust IMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

One of my concerns is that I planned on adding another 560ti to this rig, and I can sorta see the bottom card being left out of the airflow this way. Am I overthinking things? Given how cold (and often) the AC runs, I'm imagining some frosty temps in the case.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo79;13137314
Thanks for the replies, guys.

One of my concerns is that I planned on adding another 560ti to this rig, and I can sorta see the bottom card being left out of the airflow this way. Am I overthinking things? Given how cold (and often) the AC runs, I'm imagining some frosty temps in the case.
Although it is usually optimal to match the amount of intake with exhaust - you can modify this to alleviate issues like that. Setup the side panel as exhaust you would still be having airflow circulation so it wouldn't be starved. Plus the 560 doesn't get too hot from what I hear.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
How exactly do you match intake with outtake, like exactly?

I just raise and lower the speeds of my (7) case fans based on performance or if I want it to be quiet. I have push/pull as well on my heatsink so that probably sucks in a good bit (or exhausts it... im not sure). I see the temps drops or rise and I find what's acceptable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts