Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow members, I just recently bought a Antec 300-R and i must say it's the best case i ever owned. One thing is bothering me though, In order to finish my cable management i'd like to reverse the hd's but as far as i can see there is not enough clearance between the front fans and the hd's leaving me not enough room to mount the hd's backwards. Is there a solution for this?

Looking forward for your input and thoughts,

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Can't give you any specifics, but I've seen it done on the 900, so it should definitely be possible on the 300. With heavy modding, of course.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Just a word of advice, you shouldn't have hard drives infront of the fans on the front.. It makes them run too cool and could potentially cause BSODs or even a dead HDD after some months. I started getting BSODs from my HDD and realized that it was running too cool. After placing it in the lowest HDD bay instead of the top, I fix'd the problem and have never experienced any problems with it since.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbot View Post
Just a word of advice, you shouldn't have hard drives infront of the fans on the front.. It makes them run too cool and could potentially cause BSODs or even a dead HDD after some months. I started getting BSODs from my HDD and realized that it was running too cool. After placing it in the lowest HDD bay instead of the top, I fix'd the problem and have never experienced any problems with it since.
This is new to me, always thought that heat is a killer, not cool temperatures. There is no way i can house my 3 hd's in another spot other then moving them to the 5,25 bay. I'll have to dig into this a bit deeper before i start my cablemod.

Thanks anyway for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberbot View Post
Somewhat true. The ideal hard drive temp is 35c. With decent airflow they can hover under 30c. Won't kill the drives outright, but certainly can cause early failure. Google did a study on it some time back.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
you know i tried that with my 300.......it's possible if you drill new holes and turn it.....but you'll need a rivet gun and rivets.....you also will need to take the top off so you can get in with the gun to rivet the hd cage back on
......i pulled mine out for more room....had to take the top off so i could drill out the rivets which held the cage

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC Gamer View Post
YouTube- modern warfare 2
lmao
.......why do people install only 3 banks of ram and insist on lying about having an i7 rig

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pir View Post
HD1 : 19c
HD2 : 27c
HD3 : 27c
MB : 32c
CPU : 24c

This is when idling.
Guess my airflow is to perfect?
Haha, yes. 19c is dangerously low.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pir View Post
Must be windows 7 turning my hd's off when not in use, i can hear them spin up when i access them giving me a little delay.
Yeah, you should turn that off. A drive will run forever if never turned off, it's the spin up / spin down that kills em.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

you know i tried that with my 300.......it's possible if you drill new holes and turn it.....but you'll need a rivet gun and rivets.....you also will need to take the top off so you can get in with the gun to rivet the hd cage back on
......i pulled mine out for more room....had to take the top off so i could drill out the rivets which held the cage

lmao
.......why do people install only 3 banks of ram and insist on lying about having an i7 rig

Pretty sad isn't it!

I am guessing it is an 1156 i7.....

Not only that the ram will run in single channel because only 3 out of the 4 slots are used lol

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Yes to an extent:

This is my config:

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been thinking about reversing those hd's but came to the conclusion that it's just not worth it. That still leaves me plenty of things to do like for example, Cut holes for cable management, paint dvd drive housing, paint backplate of 4850 and wlan card black.
By the way after finishing the temporary build i found out that my psu is mounted upside down so eighter i have to reverse it or cut some more holes for the non existing heat to disapate in the bottom of the case.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pir
View Post

HD1 : 19c
HD2 : 27c
HD3 : 27c
MB : 32c
CPU : 24c

This is when idling.
Guess my airflow is to perfect?

Oh I don't know, those are some nice temperatures. I get that on one of my file servers in the middle of winter too, when I'm sucking in cold air from the outside to cool down my Home-Depot-Rack

Actually I did experience a freeze on a pair of old WD1600JB hard-drives on an Adaptec 1200A IDE RAID adapter one time because the hard-drives, uh, froze. Literally. I was sucking in cold air, and I rebooted the server, and it wouldn't boot into Windows. Actually the array couldn't be found.

Long story short, took it apart, found the hard-drives had frost on the surface. Was a little concerned at the time because it was my Exchange server. Anyways, brought the drives up to room temperature, put everything back together, and no problems booting, lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: Pir

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i have mine in backwards with both front fans in the case. you have to use right angle sata cables and be creative with the power cables. if you take off the front panel and open the front fan cages there are holes that you can snake the wires through. wheni get home in a couple hours ill take a pic for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts