Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
On March 10th 2010, Activision announced that the first of its DLC would be released for the Xbox 360 console on March 30th 2010. It later appeared on the Xbox 360 consoles under the Spotlight tab along with a trailer download and the price of 1200 Microsoft Points. This is a little more expensive than previous map packs for COD4 and COD:WAW which were 'cheap' at just 800 Microsoft Points.

So the long awaited 'expansion pack' for MW2 has been released today [30/03/2010] at 13.30 GMT in the UK to download although they didn't work and Xbox owners were required to wait until 16.30 GMT for the patch to be released which updated the game to use the maps
This caused quite an upset with Xbox 360 owners although patience is all that was needed.

I'm here to tell you if its worth shelling out that 1200 Microsoft Points.

Where to find the map pack
The map pack can be downloaded through the Game Marketplace tab on the Xbox 360 console. It will set you back 1200 Microsoft Points and the file size is 329mb which is surprisingly small compared with other map packs so it should only take a few minutes to download.

What's included in the Stimulus Package
There were hopes for extra game types, weapons, perks, extra Special Ops missions and of course some extra maps. Sadly, the only thing included within this package download is the five maps which can be seen in the teaser trailer.

It's not all disappointing though, while three of the maps are brand new for MW2 [Bailout, Storm, Salvage] the other two are a couple of the best ever maps from COD4 [Overgrown, Crash] and any COD4 fan will know that those two maps alone will be enough to make you buy the map pack.

Ranger maps have been added to Hardcore Headquarters [These maps include Highrise, Invasion, Skidrow, and Terminal.] Along side the DLC, but something ALL of you will get, is a title update for Modern Warfare 2. Included in this update is support for the DLC [if you choose to purchase it], as well as some tweaks to the One Man Army perk, some matchmaking updates that will help international users find more locally hosted games thanks to how ping is now sorted, and various other code updates that will help improve the overall quality of multiplayer on Modern Warfare 2.

On the 'FIND MATCH' option on the multiplayer menu you can now select from two new play lists [Stimulus and Hardcore Stimulus] which is a great addition because if you desperately want to try out the new maps you can jump straight into them rather than waiting for them to come up, like on previous titles. These two game types [and sadly only these two] includes Double XP but I suspect this will only be for a limited time.

Map Descriptions and pictures
Firstly I would like to say that due to the maps being released on the Xbox 360 console first I've struggled to get detailed photos of the maps so I've had to take the photos of the maps on my TV. Sorry about the quality

Bailout
This map seems to be very crowed and in doors. A proper sniper map with all those buildings and windows and it looks like its taken from a single player mission

Here are some screenshots:

I wasn't overly impressed with this map as I can see its going to be full of snipers camping in the various spots

Storm
This map is very much middle sized and dark. Various amounts of buildings, I rather liked this map when I was exploring it earlier on. Nice balance of indoor and outdoor places for those gun fights.

One problem I did have with it is it's very dull but that adds to the 'Storm' effect.

Salvage
I can see this map by far being my favourite, I love small maps on COD and this is the smallest map out of the five. It's very much based outdoors so no trouble with camping snipers

It's not only visually appealing it will consist of some very close combat battles

Overgrown
Now for the return of the COD4 map Overgrown, as you would expect nothing has really be changed other than it seems to be a lot more sunnier and generally brighter. Inside buildings seems darker as well but otherwise don't expect too much change. I suspect some bugs will have been ironed out as well now
This will be a great map for thermal sniping! Strangely I noticed a lot more grass though

Crash
Another favourite of mine from COD4 is crash. Just as with Overgrown nothing seems to have changed other than a brightness increase and everything seems to be a fair bit more colourful
Again I noticed and increased amount of grass down the alley way which can be seen in the pictures.

I did notice that a glitch had been sorted, there was a house near on of the spawn points you could jump onto the roof by firstly jumping on to the air conditioning units. This has now been fixed since COD4.

Final Thoughts and Score
Nice set of maps to explore and should get you back into the game again if you got a little bored of the original maps. The COD4 maps are a great addition and are truly the best maps of all time which beats any of the COD: MW2 maps so far. Personally, I was hoping for a little more in the way of game types such as First person Team Tactical but sadly this wasn't added. If you get this pack though you will not be disappointed at the maps

Update: Resized Images

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,590 Posts
Great review, and I agree... It just doesn't seem like you truly get what you pay for. Map packs should be $10 and under, never more than that.

Could you resize the images? Took me awhile to load the page fully, and I'm on cable.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
Great review, and I agree... It just doesn't seem like you truly get what you pay for. Map packs should be $10 and under, never more than that.

Could you resize the images? Took me awhile to load the page fully, and I'm on cable.
Thanks
Yeah I was hoping for a lot more features but oh well
The maps are pretty good

EDIT: Resized pictures

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump

·
Registered
252 Posts
I gotta say Salvage is really fun to play CTF and Sabatoge. Crash is fun to play CTF and Storm is awesome for SND. The other maps are okay, and I am happy with my 15 dollar purchase as 15 bucks is not an issue for me (for those who ***** about it).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
I gotta say Salvage is really fun to play CTF and Sabatoge. Crash is fun to play CTF and Storm is awesome for SND. The other maps are okay, and I am happy with my 15 dollar purchase as 15 bucks is not an issue for me (for those who ***** about it).
Yeah I like all the maps really, bailout is my least favourite however
. I only paid £9.99 for mine so I'm overall happy

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's no way I would pay 1200 MS points for 2 Maps I already paid for in the first Modern Warfare and 3 others for the exploit nerds to wreak havoc on (just give it another week or so).

The worst part of all of it? That they sell so well that companies will continue to overcharge for DLC that really has no business making it to the market without proper QA being done first.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,554 Posts
i like the maps, and ill pay the money for them. who cares about 15 bucks in the pc/console world anyways. (at least thats how i look at it)

if i go out at night i leave the bar with 30 bucks or more on the tab, hmmm for a couple hrs of fun, i think it would be a better investion to drop it into an expansion for my game

(pc gamer)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpankyFantastic View Post
There's no way I would pay 1200 MS points for 2 Maps I already paid for in the first Modern Warfare and 3 others for the exploit nerds to wreak havoc on (just give it another week or so).

The worst part of all of it? That they sell so well that companies will continue to overcharge for DLC that really has no business making it to the market without proper QA being done first.
I do see your point but they are fun maps and great if all your friends buy them

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post
i like the maps, and ill pay the money for them. who cares about 15 bucks in the pc/console world anyways. (at least thats how i look at it)

if i go out at night i leave the bar with 30 bucks or more on the tab, hmmm for a couple hrs of fun, i think it would be a better investion to drop it into an expansion for my game

(pc gamer)
I don't find it fair that PC get it for free and console have to pay but there you go. Good point though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Angel -X View Post
Great review CM690

Thnx for the info/review

Thanks glad you enjoyed the review

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post

(pc gamer)
I get your point but I'd totally rather have it for the bar

Anyways, I totally retract my point on the basis I paid 1200 ms for the first MW map pack (chinatown, creek, etc).....LOL

Funny what having a kid does to you.

Great review, much better than the slobfest the fanboys wasted my time with.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpankyFantastic
View Post

I get your point but I'd totally rather have it for the bar

Anyways, I totally retract my point on the basis I paid 1200 ms for the first MW map pack (chinatown, creek, etc).....LOL

Funny what having a kid does to you.

Great review, much better than the slobfest the fanboys wasted my time with.

Glad you liked the review.

I wasn't that impressed with the first MW pack really but I got those for free with a little email to IW so I can't really complain
and I never bothered with the WAW map packs.

Quote:

As for this, I see your point but MW2 adds a little more to the first MW along with the thermal snipers for Overgrown and those masses of shotguns for running round with on Crash
Put together with all that air support and launchers it's like how MW should have been. Very much like how Windows 7 is how Vista should have been.

There are already a few glitches on Bailout and I must admit it ruined my game I had on that map the other night with friends because thanks to their glitching we couldn't plant or defuse the bomb in demolition!
but at least the bugs in the first MW maps have been fixed

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Is it just me, or is it kind of pointless to spend money on the 2 maps from COD4...that we already had? I mean, essentially, you're paying for THREE new maps. Not 5. Overgrown and crash are not new maps, so IMO they shouldn't be charging us for it.

I'm still glad I haven't bought this game yet
. They just keep screwing it up more!

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post
Is it just me, or is it kind of pointless to spend money on the 2 maps from COD4...that we already had? I mean, essentially, you're paying for THREE new maps. Not 5. Overgrown and crash are not new maps, so IMO they shouldn't be charging us for it.

I'm still glad I haven't bought this game yet
. They just keep screwing it up more!
It's not. The Cod4 maps were a greater addition than I thought. 1200 msp is perty steep if you ask me, but it was worth it (my brother paid).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are worth it like I said in another post

Quote:

As for this, I see your point but MW2 adds a little more to the first MW along with the thermal snipers for Overgrown and those masses of shotguns for running round with on Crash Put together with all that air support and launchers it's like how MW should have been. Very much like how Windows 7 is how Vista should have been.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.