Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I. Introduction

The CM Storm - Scout, is what Cooler Master is calling a, True LAN Gaming Chassis. It offers mobility, sound design and proves that careful thought was put into the design of the case to accommodate new builders and LAN Pro's alike. The Scout is a fairly rugged, yet extremely portable, mid-tower chassis. Cooler Master, in building the Scout said that they dedicated their focus on "Strength, Security and Control" and it certainly shows.

The Scout is BLACK... and I mean ALL BLACK. Careful attention was paid to rounding off all the corners and giving the inside of the box a smooth matte black finish. Aesthetically, the case is a beautiful blend of menacing lines and luxurious features. The flat-black interior looks great through the automotive tinted side window.

The side-window accommodates two exhaust fans for more efficient cooling. There is also a clever and useful button that triggers "Stealth mode" deactivating cooling fan LEDs on the front of the case. Inside, the case also utilizes a Motherboard cut-out that will allow you to swap heatsinks without the hassle of removing your motherboard, a logical inclusion.

The case retains it's stability and rigidity while boasting wonderful cable management (especially when compared to my Antec 900). There is also a handle on top of the case that CM says is steel reinforced. It makes carrying the case around an absolute breeze. Nothing about this case feels cheap or like an afterthought. The case manages to be lightweight yet sturdy, sporty yet practical, and offers features that you don't normally get out of the box with the competition.

II. Specifications and Features

The CM Scout is a fairly large Mid-Tower at 19(D) x 8.6 (W) x 19.5 (H) in inches. The case weighs in at just over 19lbs according to Cooler Master. Thanks to the handle on the case, it feels much lighter than that when transporting (even when full). There are Five, 5.25" Drive Bays and a kit to convert one 5.25 inch bay into a 3.5" Drive Bay for your customizing pleasure. It also comes with a kit to convert the 3.5 inch bay into a 2.5" Bay. The case includes one 140mm Red LED Fan on the front (60 CFM), one 140mm fan on the top and one rear 120mm Red LED Fan (44 CFM). The Acrylic side-window supports two additional 120mm fans giving you plenty of opportunities to properly cool your machine.

The case also boasts some nice, additional features that might not be immediately apparent. As previously mentioned, you have the ability to turn off the LED lights of the case fans with one touch of a button on the front/panel of the case. It is extremely convenient and a very nice addition... especially if you sleep in the same room as your CPU. Cooler Master also included StormGuard, a security system for safeguarding your gaming peripherals that locks them into place in your case. The case is also completely screw-less, which may or may not be a feature depending on where you stand. The case also includes 4 top-mounted USB ports and an eSATA port.

III. Installation

The case was honestly very easy and a joy to work with. The case comes with various accessories you'll need including standoffs, screws, drive rails, rubber grommets, zip ties, and the aforementioned drive bay converters. Moving my components from my Antec 900 to the CM Scout was actually easier than I expected. The case was slightly cramped when all was said and done but everything fit well enough. I would be wary though if you have an overly large video card. My 9800gtx barely fit into the case... and I mean BARELY. Anything larger than the 9800gtx might not fit.

The bottom-mounted power supply unit actually sits on a mesh grill. This is a very nice and welcomed addition. The power supply when mounted in the Scout will actually have clearance above the ground thanks to some nice sized case-legs. This will allow you to mount your power supply in any way you desire without any worries.

As I mentioned before the expansion slots are completely tool-less. I always (normally) ditch the tool-less methods and opt for screws, but for the reviews sake I figured I'd give the tool-less design here a try. To my amazement the tool-less design employed actually worked very well. My components felt safe and secure and I didn't feel the need to switch to screws.

My only real gripe, if you can call it that, is the cable management. The Scout does have some cut-outs and gaps for routing cables behind the motherboard and around the case, but there is limited space behind or below the hard drive cage and it was a very tight squeeze to fit everything behind the MB with the side-panel on. I suspect that non-modular PSU's would be somewhat cramped in here. While the CM Scout certainly offers more cable-management options than the Antec 900 I was coming from, CM could have probably been just a little bigger to accommodate some more elaborate setups... but I'm really just nitpicking.

That complaint aside, everything about the inside of this case screams high-quality. There are no loose or questionable parts. The case feels sturdy and substantial in every respect of the word and there is not a single part of the case that isn't painted, coated and sealed in a delicious black matte.

IV. Summary

Overall I think the CM Scout is a wonderful case. It's slightly more cramped inside than my 900 was but offers a lot of features that I don't get in my old Antec. The SafeGuard feature is great for LAN parties and keeps someone from walking away with your peripherals. The handle makes moving the computer a breeze and the case is unquestionably stylish and cool to look at. The case kept all my components cool with the stock fans and I will probably be sticking with the case.

Features & Design = 10/10
Build Quality = 10/10
Ease of Installation = 9/10
Cable Management = 9/10
Air Flow = 8/10

I will monitor the thread for suggestions, questions, or requests.

Thanks for reading!

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually given the case by Cooler Master. I had contacted them to obtain some TIM for my TIM review (which was literally the worst decision of my life... it's so damn time-consuming)... and one of their product reps asked if I would review their case for them. So I did.

I really love the case. Is there a better place to post the review so people see it?

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post
Nice case but it's priced too close to the HAF 922. The Storm Scout needs to be cheaper, closer to CM 690 pricing.

Yeah... I believe the case is still retailing around $100. It is still a good value when compared to the Antec 900 as the case is slightly nicer in construction, features, overall aesthetic and has some good cable management and a reinforced handle.

· PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,355 Posts

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post
Cable management looks fine to me. Here is kev_b's Storm Scout.
Cable management wasn't really a problem for me... but I have a modular PSU. I would imagine that some of the larger PSU's that are not modular would get pretty messy. Overall I didn't have any real problems with the case but felt like for the review it should be mentioned.

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Yeah here. That would be a great place for that review. It is very well done. I know you have all your "to do" stuff going on, and could only imagine that testing with that many tims can be nothing but exciting. :rollseyes:

With the later part:

Quote:
Build Quality = 10/10
Cable Management = 8/10
Air Flow = 8/10
You should take each one of those scores and add them to the end of each test. Then you can do a recap and get more writing in.

Kind of like:

Text.... Then

Text.... Then
Build Quality = 10/10

Text.... Then

Text.... Then
Cable Management = 8/10

Text.... Then
Air Flow = 8/10

Then....Recap and all scores.
Build Quality = 10/10
Cable Management = 8/10
Air Flow = 8/10

Some questions.
  1. When testing Air Flow, what test did you do or what measurable attributes are obtained from your testing?
  2. What comparable trends to other popular cases lead this cases cable management to a score of 8/10?
    Same for each other score. How does it compare to another case? For comparison reasons, it would give your readers an insight to your personal thoughts to other items. Side to side would work in a few quick sentences. In conjunction with what your already doing would do well.
I really like this review. I gives me great idea about what to expect with the tims shoot out. Great job. +rep

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason4i7 View Post
Yeah here. That would be a great place for that review. It is very well done. I know you have all your "to do" stuff going on, and could only imagine that testing with that many tims can be nothing but exciting. :rollseyes:

With the later part:

You should take each one of those scores and add them to the end of each test. Then you can do a recap and get more writing in.

Kind of like:

Text.... Then

Text.... Then
Build Quality = 10/10

Text.... Then

Text.... Then
Cable Management = 8/10

Text.... Then
Air Flow = 8/10

Then....Recap and all scores.
Build Quality = 10/10
Cable Management = 8/10
Air Flow = 8/10

Some questions.
  1. When testing Air Flow, what test did you do or what measurable attributes are obtained from your testing?
  2. What comparable trends to other popular cases lead this cases cable management to a score of 8/10?
    Same for each other score. How does it compare to another case? For comparison reasons, it would give your readers an insight to your personal thoughts to other items. Side to side would work in a few quick sentences. In conjunction with what your already doing would do well.
I really like this review. I gives me great idea about what to expect with the tims shoot out. Great job. +rep

Product/Review submitted.

The TIM Shootout is still going on. I started really strong but I've been having a hard time lately not bringing work home with me. It is really cutting into my relaxation/gaming/computer time... but I'm just happy to actually have a job after taking the Bar. The review was a bit easier since it only took a couple hours to really play around with the case in its entirety. Plus I was able to take my chicken-scratch handnotes to work with me and write the review there. Real life is definitely impeding my hobbies. haha. The TIM shootout might be the death of me. I have a new found appreciation for what those guys who do this professionally do... and for the amount of crap they take when they leave out someone's favorite TIM. lol

As for the review...
Thanks for your suggestions/compliments... this was the first review I've written for the site. I'll make some changes and update the review if I'm not busy as work.

I'll be taking a little vacation this weekend, so I won't be updating or testing more TIM's after today... but trust me when I say I deserve this break. lol

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Some questions.

To answer your questions real quick... I didn't actually test airflow by any kind of scientific means. I simply powered up the case compared temperatures to my Antec 900 then removed the side panel and just tried to feel around to see if the air was moving freely. It was a purely off-the-cuff rating. My 900 definitely had better airflow... but I am also comparing the stock CM Scout fans to the YL's High-Speed w/ fan controller in my 900. Overall temps were only up slightly and airflow was very good, if not excellent.

Cable management really should be a 9. I tried to go through the review and start the case out at all 10's... then as I went through I would deduct a point or half point (in my notes) for things I thought could have been done better. I only had 2 "gripes" for cable management.

One was that it was tough for me to fit my cables in between the MB Tray and the side of the case. I just have thicker cables I guess and I really had to put some effort into getting the side-panel on. I should have taken pictures. =\\ And second, I took off a point (although I probably shouldn't have) because I thought that if you had a non-modular PSU that you would run into some problems hiding the cables. I regret taking off a full point for that now... should have been a -.5 at most. If it matters, I'd rate my 900 as a 5/10 for Cable Management.

· Registered
1,455 Posts
Sounds good. I like the review either way, but seeing where you came from for your points system makes more sense now. Good luck on your job and congrats on your tests.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.