Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
Medal of Honor is an upcoming first-person shooter video game in the Medal of Honor series, developed by EA Los Angeles and DICE, due for release on Microsoft Windows on October 12th, 2010. This game is going to kick start the series off again by setting the game in the 2001 Afghanistan war.

What I tested
This review is based upon a short period of playing Medal of Honor's multiplayer mode. There were two game types, "Team Assault" and "Combat Mission" but more on those later. On both of these multiplayer modes you can play as either Terrorists or Marines (My guess is that they're US Marines) much like in the Call of Duty Modern Warfare series.

Medal of Honor also compares to Bad Company 2, when you are put onto a team you have three "classes" to choose from which can be customised. These classes aren't like the Call of Duty weapon classes which can be fully customised to how you like.

I took various screenshots and recorded some game play which I then put together and put onto youtube but the videos are embedded into this review

Main Menu and Settings

Here are some screenshots of the menu system and game types that were available. I have also taken a screenshot of the settings I tested the game on. I had roughly 45-60FPS depending on area of the map and action with my sig rig

Classes:
  • Rifleman
  • Special OPS
  • Sniper
These are the three main classes for both Marines and Terrorists but with different guns depending on which team you are on. The weapons will be explained under each screenshot.

Marines

M16 assault rifle with grenade launcher, pistol

M4 Carbine assault rifle with pistol and rocket launcher

M21 Sniper rifle with red dot sight, pistol and C4

Terrorists

AK-47 assault rifle with pistol and grenade launcher

AK74U sub-machine gun and pistol with RPG's

SVD Sniper rifle, pistol and IED road side bomb

Team Assault Game Mode
This is the game mode I enjoyed most, Team Assault is basically Team Deathmatch. The terrorists and Marines have to fight it out by killing each other until the score limit is reached or the time limit expires. This is a conventional game mode that you would expect on any multiplayer FPS.

Team Assault only featured one map on the pre-release version which is very well designed. Kabul City Ruins is a desert city featuring various levels of buildings and brilliant sniper spots. The streets are also littered with obstacles and other forms of cover. If camping is your thing then you'll truly love this map although when I was playing other players often rushed into the buildings and cleared them out before you really got chance to get a decent kill streak going.

The points system is relatively simple for team assault is pretty straight forward.

While I was playing the game I came across these points:
  • +05 Points: Assisted Kill
  • +10 Points: Getting a Kill
  • +15 Points: Getting a kill by head-shot
  • +15 Points: Getting a kill that saves a team-mate
  • +20: Getting a revenge kill
film_go.png
YouTube- Medal of Honorâ„¢ Team Assault

Combat Mission Game Mode
I'm not one for objective type multiplayer games unless I'm with friends or a clan but none the less I had a quick go. I didn't spend as much time on this game type as I didn't enjoy it but the main idea of this mode is to protect the objectives or destroy them depending on which team you are on. This isn't like Search and Destroy as there are respawns but with a small delay.

Like in Team assault there was only one map to play on, Hellmand Valley which is set in the desert with more wide open spaces but popping out of cover for a long period of time resulted in getting yourself picked off pretty quickly. I am expecting this game type to be very popular and have great potential for the final release of the game in October.

film_go.png
YouTube- Medal of Honorâ„¢ Combat Mission

How does it compare to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2?

Firstly it compares a lot with COD especially in the team assault game type, there seems to be an introduction of awards at the end of a game which are very similar to the accolades that you acquire in COD for each game type. The points system seemed very similar although much less points per kill, saving a team mate and getting revenge points were given in MOH this time round which is something that was introduced to COD last November.

The main comparison to Bad Company 2 is just the way the game feels. The way your character moves around isn't as "arcadey" as in COD and it takes a lot more bullets to kill anyone. I am a keen COD player and it took a while to get used to this game to start with as sniper bullets aren't 1 shot kill and it can sometimes take a whole clip of ammo to take 1 enemy down which is something I remember complaining about a lot when I played the pre-release of Bad Company 2.

Overall verdict and Score
Overall I am pleased with how MOH is turning out and I think the single player especially has a lot of potential. After getting used to the game the multiplayer is fun and can give hours of entertainment but is it a rival for Modern Warfare 2? My answer would be no but it may be able to give Bad Company 2 a run for it's money.

One thing that does annoy me is the fact that other people take a lot of bullets to kill them and that the snipers don't have telescopic sites on them as default

This is a game I will definitely be pre-ordering this summer!

Pre-order now at the EA Store or other online retailer for your BETA key

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've spent 3 days trying to get my beta after getting the old "key is already in use". I'm tired of dealing w/ EA customer service over it.

It looks like it has good potential though. Thanx for the screenies and review. + rep

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i have the MOH beta...and everything unlocked....hp ammo...hp scope...slugs...

i have everything unlocked in BC2...i can honestly say i like MOH beta fare more than bc2...the US weapons are very realistic looking such as teh m16 and m4 models...playing on 1920x1200 with graphics set to high and 2x by 2x is good

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thiru View Post
I found the sound to be bad. Weapons don't sound good at all, and everything seems to have the same volume.
I thought the sound was pretty good especially compared with COD:MW2
I must admit the explosions are really loud but they sound good!

·
Banned
564 Posts
meh, they usually dont worry to much about sound in beta's. lets hope thats whats going on here. that was one of my major likes about BC2 everything sounds so realistic, on wartapes of course.

ew, only 3 classes, this looks alot like a scaled down version of BC2, i might be skipping.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CM690 View Post
Overall verdict and Score
Overall I am pleased with how MOH is turning out and I think the single player especially has a lot of potential. After getting used to the game the multiplayer is fun and can give hours of entertainment but is it a rival for Modern Warfare 2? My answer would be no but it may be able to give Bad Company 2 a run for it's money.

One thing that does annoy me is the fact that other people take a lot of bullets to kill them and that the snipers don't have telescopic sites on them as default

Weapon damage will probably be balanced like it was in BC2 coming out of beta.

Honestly BC2 is way better than MW2 in my opinion so I guess I need to try this?

Quote:

What about sound compared to BC2? Sound in BC2 is miles ahead of MW2.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Quote:

Explosions are pathetic, you can hear everything around you while there's a mortar strike. Try BC2 if you want to hear nice battle-like sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzbane View Post
Honestly BC2 is way better than MW2 in my opinion so I guess I need to try this?
What about sound compared to BC2? Sound in BC2 is miles ahead of MW2.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I played it for about an hour. I thought it was awful. It's not as intense as COD and these multi maps are so small, I find it hard to play more than 5 minutes. Very diasspointing as far as the beta is concerned.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have the beta install, can't increase AA with the latest nvidia drivers for some reason. Anyways, the beta is kinda broken. The game crashes when i try to change some of the control commands, and the game also stops responding when i am in the game and hit Y to chat, the box just sits there and i can't even remove it, yet along type anything.

Other than that, the game is alot of fun and it runs on my quad nicely at 50-60 all the time.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown View Post
I played it for about an hour. I thought it was awful. It's not as intense as COD and these multi maps are so small, I find it hard to play more than 5 minutes. Very diasspointing as far as the beta is concerned.
same. installed, played for an hour. never touched it since. uninstalled. I still have hopes for it becoming something close to COD once the final releases though.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
my issues with this game

the game lags like crazy!!
and explosions do no damage. i shot a guy with a nade launcher about 5 feet from hum and he didnt die!!!
he should have been dead.
and smoke nades act like frags, i killed a guy with a smoke nade.
frags do no damage unless its 2 feet to the guy.
the binoculars have NO ZOOM, WTH??
ragdoll physics need work.
non destructible environment
every kill is a headshot. why?
it takes half a mag too kill some1. no.
i sniped a guy with a MP7. plausible but idk if that could happen in real life.
bolt action snipers take 2 SHOTS TO KILL. BS!!! it should be 1 shot 1 kill.
id rather use my dragonov ACOG than that other sniper.
when you empty ur clip u are suppost to c0ck your gun. in this game you just change the mag and dont c0ck the gun. it really ruined the realism.
AGM missile is impossible to control with a mouse! its a good thing i have my joystick
the guns sound like airsoft guns, not as realistic.
weapon switch with mouse wheel doesnt work.
poorly optomized for PC.

i might buy the game if there is more weapons and better optmization for PC. and this game needs lean an prone!
in all its a good game tho

·
Registered
447 Posts
I tried the beta, but I didn't really like it. Too similar to Bad Company 2. The only difference I noticed between the two games is that the guns have less recoil. I'm waiting until this one hits the bargain bin.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XX55XX
View Post

I tried the beta, but I didn't really like it. Too similar to Bad Company 2. The only difference I noticed between the two games is that the guns have less recoil. I'm waiting until this one hits the bargain bin.

I agree here. I've played a bit of it and it really just feels like a BC2 re-skin. It's WAY too similar to BC2 in my opinion

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibage View Post
I agree here. I've played a bit of it and it really just feels like a BC2 re-skin. It's WAY too similar to BC2 in my opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX55XX View Post
Doesn't MOH online use the same game engine as bad company? If it does it's bound to feel the same

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slytown
View Post

I am glad the maps are small. Super huge maps in a online game is a bad idea imo.Take too long to find someone , with small maps there is more action.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
i didn't like it, it didn't feel smooth to me at all, and the game play was **** to me. Uninstalled within 10 minutes of playing it. I still want a refund.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.