·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft Office 2010 Review

Version: Office 2010 Beta
Release Date: June 2010

Introduction
Microsoft Office was first released for personal computers way back in 1989 for Apple’s Macintosh systems. There have been various versions of Microsoft’s Office suite since then starting out as small updates [Microsoft Office for Windows 1.5 and 1.6] to the version which some of you may remember, Microsoft Office for Windows 3.0. Office 3.0 was the first release of the software which contained all the programs that you get in the most recent versions of Office [Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Publisher and Outlook]. Since then there has been roughly a new release of the office suite for each new version of Microsoft’s operating system. Office 95 for Windows 95, Office 97 in time for Windows 98, Office 2000 for Windows 2000 and ME edition, Office XP and Office 2003 for Windows XP, Office 2007 came about around the time Vista was released and now that Windows 7 is here we have the new Office 2010 coming out.

So What’s Changed?
The first thing you will be asking yourself is what has changed in the new version, Office 2010 and whether or not it’s worth shelling out your hard earned cash for. Upgrading from Office XP or 2003 was worth it as Office 2007 and improved performance and it had a huge user interface redesign although this time round there isn’t many noticeable changes and this may be a good thing. The change from the familiar menus and buttons in the older versions of Office to the new ribbon style that was introduced in Office 2007 was a lot of hassle for many people. The general user of office software is people that aren’t really “computer savvy†so a small change in some software that they used every day can throw them causing companies time and money to retrain staff using the software, this happened at my college and the facility was shut down for the day while the staff were retrained when Office 2007 was introduced to the machines there.

Office 2010 introduces better file compatibility, a small user interface change to match Vista and 7’s Aero desktop themes and a refined user experience. This is also the first time Office has had a 64bit version although Windows XP 64bit isn’t supported by this so the 32bit version will have to be used. Another new feature which to be honest I see rather pointless is the Social Connector, this allows you to write emails while keeping track of family and friends by viewing status updates and communication history this to me seems to be social networking gone mad.

The Applications

Word

Excel

Access

PowerPoint

Publisher

The Ribbon Navigation Menu
As I said before the ribbon navigation is still here and I rather like it. Users of Office 2007 will easily get on with it as well not much has actually changed. One noticeable change is the fact that the Windows logo type start button has been replaces with a more familiar menu to older users of Office, File. The file menu is colour coded to match the software you are using for example when using Word the file button will be blue but when using Excel the file button will be green just a nice little touch I think. Click this button no long opens a menu however, it opens a whole page to tell you all the information you need about your current document and then the usual save buttons you would expect to find. In comparison to the ribbon system in Office 2007 don’t expect much change other than a slight visual change which looks much more appealing.

Above: Office 2007 Ribbon System

Above: Office 2010 Ribbon System

Office Logo
For Office 2010 there is now a new enhanced logo which seems only right considering it’s a new version of the software. It’s similar in design to the Office 2007 logo although there is a slight construction change and it’s now yellow rather than the multi-coloured 2007 version.

Office 2007 and Office 2010 logos

Versions
As usual with Office there are an array of versions for you to choose from although for general home use you can get away with just buying the “Home and Student†version which is the cheapest retail version around although it will lack a few features of the other versions.

System Requirements

Minimum Requirements
-500Mhz CPU or higher
-256MB Ram
-3.5GB Disc Space
-1024x768 Screen Resolution
-DVD Drive

Supported Operating Systems

Office 32Bit
Windows XP with Service Pack 3
Windows Vista with Service pack 1
Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2
Windows 7

Office 64Bit
Windows Vista with Service pack 1
Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2
Windows 7

Windows XP 64bit isn’t supported so 32bit should be used in this case.

Mac Edition
There is a Mac edition confirmed by Microsoft due for release in 2010 but I don’t have any more information on this version.

I hope you enjoyed reading this review and enjoy the software when it's released.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by djsporting View Post
Awesome..!
Thanks, glad you like it

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly View Post
very nice review~!
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.