Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
GPU Prices too damn high!
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As thread implies, I'm helping a friend out by building him a rig, He's paying for everything and I'm ordering and assembling the parts for him.

Now it's been a while since I have been in the PC building scene and I just wanted to make sure that everything I have is the best choice for the money provided.

I should mention this is a rig I'm building to power dual 7970's in crossfire and or any dual GPU equivalent in the near future for high resolution eyefinity gaming. For now we will be reusing two old 9600 GSO's in SLi for the time being.

This rig is being built from scratch nothing is being reused everything brand new (This is strictly barebones hardware):

betabuild.png

Please I am open to any serious advice here we would like to get the most bang per buck in this price category. Revisions are welcome.

Side note: Would be nice to be able to overclock 4.5-5GHz on air if possible. And will the PSU be enough to power dual 7970's or any dual card equivalent in the future?

**If image doesn't show here is a direct link**
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4066/betabuild.png

·
Registered
221 Posts
Everything looks good. I would recommend the Noctua D-14 over the 212. You'd be lucky to get 4.5ghz with the 212. I'm running my 2500K @ 4.8ghz with my D-14. The heatsink should come with it's own thermal paste too. The only other recommendation would be the power-supply. Antec power supplies are good, but I would choose one from there HCP or HGP series.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks pretty solid. i have another thread thats up about my first build and this is like it
smile.gif

If you want to take full advantage of them 7970's then you might want to consider a mobo with PCIe 3.0 support. Many people say its barely a difference but to me, it is still a difference

·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the mobo I have selected has 3.0 PCie I believe:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806

And could you guys link me the parts you would use? Such as the better 1000w PSU in question. Would like to keep it at $150-200 usd price range.

And as for the 2500k i'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as I can for the guy as this will be his first gaming PC but hes doesn't want to spend a fortune either.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKon View Post

If you want to take full advantage of them 7970's then you might want to consider a mobo with PCIe 3.0 support. Many people say its barely a difference but to me, it is still a difference
The mobo in his list is Gen3 capable.The only problem is,most Z68 Gen 3 mobos will only support x8/x8 if you populate both.Might have to wait for the Z77 chipsets to get real x16/x16 specs.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachigo View Post

The mobo in his list is Gen3 capable.The only problem is,most Z68 Gen 3 mobos will only support x8/x8 if you populate both.Might have to wait for the Z77 chipsets to get real x16/x16 specs.
What if he went with a 7990 or 6990 would he get true x16 speeds or would it be split too?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
1000w enough for 2 7970s.... Noctua or H100 are the two best coolers. Just as a side point, a good psu is normally the last part I have to replace (minus cases) getting a good one is always worth the money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosai View Post

Yes the mobo I have selected has 3.0 PCie I believe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806
And could you guys link me the parts you would use? Such as the better 1000w PSU in question. Would like to keep it at $150-200 usd price range.
And as for the 2500k i'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as I can for the guy as this will be his first gaming PC but hes doesn't want to spend a fortune either.
Ahhh I stand corrected
smile.gif
I forgot my previous plans included this mobo; the normal ATX factor and it supported PCIe 3. Yes you do have a pretty nice build there. Try on stronger cooler tho i would recomend

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosai View Post

What if he went with a 7990 or 6990 would he get true x16 speeds or would it be split too?
The 6990's are PCI-E 2.1 so the Z68's would do x16/x16 configuration on those even if he went Xfire i believe.Basically if your using just a single PCI-E 3.0 card it would be x16 but if you go Xfire with them it would split to x8/x8.If you use two PCI-E 2.0 cards it would be x16/x16,single or Xfire.

·
RPG Gamer
4,230 Posts
Thermal paste I would change. The AS5 is no longer that good, not for that price. Rather get the MX-4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

I like this PSU from XFX, there 1000w Platinum is the same as the Seasonic version.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207019

What you can do is get a 1TB drive + SSD

If you like the NZXT series, you could wait for there new Switch 810. Should be about $150.
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/switch_810

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you get the Noctua D-14 cooler it comes with excellent thermal paste. The 2500K is an excellent processor for gaming. You get the same performance in games as the 2600k at a fraction of the price. Plus you can overclock it nicely with a good cooler.

·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Budget is roughly $1,200.

And to all suggesting ssd+hdd, links man LINKS! And please it needs to stay in this price range. Otherwise Im not going to bother changing it.

Thermal paste, PSU have been changed to MX-4 and Cosair 1000w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

If you like the NZXT series, you could wait for there new Switch 810. Should be about $150.
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/switch_810
As for the case, that seems unattractive... He picked out the case mainly because of the Storm Trooper look lol. Not my exact taste in cases I like my Tonka truck HAF case.

·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jrock60 View Post

If you get the Noctua D-14 cooler it comes with excellent thermal paste. The 2500K is an excellent processor for gaming. You get the same performance in games as the 2600k at a fraction of the price. Plus you can overclock it nicely with a good cooler.
I know the Noctua DH-14 is superior in every way..... it's just it was such a pain in the ass to install lol (I have one). And Im trying to keep it cheap the only reason I went with the Hyper 212 is because of how hyped to hell it was. Again im not sure would they be the same when it comes to installing?

Also what about the RAM slots? That DH-14 is MASSIVE wont it block the ram slots?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts