1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSC02076.jpg

d181257e_sneww.jpeg

Compared to the ZOWIE FK1
The ZOWIE fk2 is basicly just a smaller version of the FK1.

Compared to the ZOWIE FK
Nothing besides the new sensor and a new lense to achieve the low lift off distance. These small but important changes would be enough to justify switching to the new fk1 or fk2 though if you need a better performing sensor and lense.

Compared to the ZOWIE AM
The design is still ambidextrious, it still have the same sensor but it feels like a completely different mouse because of the change to a more | | shape than the / \ used in the ZOWIE AM. Other changes are a better scrollwheel with and a sensor that works much better with ZOWIEs custom lense, which I will get into later. Other than that the there's a new coating and yellow theme instead of the red one used in the ZOWIE AM. So to sum it up the features are:

Features:
• Ambidextrous mouse developed for claw grip usage
• Two thumb buttons on both sides to comfortably serve left- and right-handed users
• Plug and Play (no drivers needed)
• Easy to switch between left- and right-hand functionality
• 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 DPI adjustment
• Adjustable USB report rate 125 / 500 / 1000 Hz
• Perfect lift-off distance = 1.5 ~ 1.8mm
• Operating system: Win2000/XP/VISTA/7/8; Mac OS X v10.2 after

c2b9403f_sensorperformance.jpeg

The sensor might have been the biggest drawback of the ZOWIE FK and ZOWIE AM, despite actually being a very good sensor. But the lense seemed to hold it back in terms of perfect control speed and even with the stock lense, the avago 3090 was never perfect because of the high lift off distance. The avago 3310 is a different story though, with both a VERY high perfect control speed and in the ZOWIE FK2 and FK1 a very low lift off distance too. The sensor behaves pretty much perfect in terms of control, speed, lift off distance and won't hold anyone back from performing their best. Also the sensor now does 400/800/1600/3200 which should be enough for anyone and are much better options imo than the unusual dpi options the AM/FK have. Most pro gamers I've seen usually use around 800dpi and 1150dpi that the AM/FK have is simply too fast.

Below are my results for perfect control speed using enotus mouse test. I have only done the tests using 1000hz since I think there's no reason to use a lower rate. I can post more results though if requested.

400dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7Ml

800dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7M3

1600dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7M7

3200dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7Mf

I tested the mouse for prediction and jitter also and the results are below. There's no jitter or prediction, and there was no tracking bugs either as with the ZOWIE AM/FK have on some light colored surfaces.

400dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7Mw

800dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7Mz

1600dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7MY

3200dpi
http://www.imageshost.eu/image/7Mg

67127dbb_weightandshape.jpeg

This is ofcourse going to be very subjective but I will try my best to be as objective as possible.
I have compared it to 4 other ambidextrous mice that I have tried

Ninox Aurora
Very comfortable mouse. Very short and fits both hands. If you have small hands then this can definately be used all day without any discomfort. The weight is about the same as the g100s so it's very easy to move around.

Logitech g100s

Great ambidextrious shape that will fit both hands.Its small and definately not made for larger hands or palmgrip. Using it for a whole day gives some discomfort in the thenar region of the hand and will getting the "gamer mark". The weight is around 70g and that combined with the sensor makes me miss some shots sometimes

Steelseries sensei raw
Again a great ambidextrious shape that works well for all types of grips depending on the size of your hand. In my hands it's a bit on the larger size and feels a bit too wide. The weight is around 90g and it feels very balanced.

ZOWIE FK2
Very similar to the steelseries sensei and feels much much different than the ZOWIE AM. The shape is very easy to hold and will work perfectly with all grip styles, although you won't be able to palm it if you have large hands. It feels more \/ shaped which imo gives a much much better grip than the ZOWIE AM which have a more /\ style shape. Coming from a steelseries sensei raw or ZOWIE AM you will quickly notice that it's not so tall though and it feels much smaller than the sensei raw, so it might take a couple of days to get used to the lower height and overall feel. The side buttons are positioned in a much better place than both the sensei and the ZOWIE AM though and I haven't clicked them by mistake yet or having trouble finding them while gaming.

Overall the ZOWIE FK2 definately have the most comfortable shape of them all if you have a small or medium sized hand. If you have large hands the sensei raw is probally more comfortable.

ed197536_buttonsscrollwheel.jpeg

ZOWIE is using their own switches in all their mice and depending on various things like placement of the switches they can be very hard to press.

They are harder to press than most gaming mice, but they give a GREAT feedback in terms of feel and sound. Also they have a very short travel and shorter than all mice with omron switches(except the ninox velocity/aurora) so despite the higher pressure required, it's easy to double click

The ZOWIE FK buttons feels easier to activate than both the ZOWIE AM and the ZOWIE Mico and about the same as the ZOWIE EC's. While it's still a bit harder to press than the average gaming mouse that I have tried, it's still comfortable to use all day.

From my findings highest to lowest amount of pressure required to activate the buttons:
ZOWIE mico
ZOWIE am-gs
Ninox aurora
Zowie FK2
Steelseries Sensei
Mionix naos 8200
Logitech g400
Razer deathadder 2013
cm storm spawn

The scrollwheel definately feels better than the scrollwheels in the older ZOWIE models but it takes just a little longer than normal to scroll through a document.

65bf3cfe_software.jpeg

Like all other ZOWIE mice the ZOWIE FK2 doesn't come with any software. This is both a good thing and a bad thing,

The good thing is that you avoid having to rely on a software that might crash or drain your memory.

The bad thing is that you have to use a third party software or rely on ingame control settings if you want to assign the buttons to other things than the default. But pretty much all new games allow you to assign mousebuttons to a command so this shouldn't be an issue.

Luckily you can change everything else without using the software, from the dpi, to the polling rate and even which side buttons are active.

4831377d_buildquality.jpeg

This part has always been difficult to write about in my reviews since mostly I have only used the mice I review for a week or so. So this time I gave myself a much longer period to test it out

ZOWIE is still using the same cord which in my opinion is the best cord out there.It is neither too thin or too thick and it is very flexible so you can feel the mouse moving in the direction YOU want.

The mousefeet are big and glides well and the mouse comes with an extra set of mousefeet so you won't need buy new for a very long while.

Like the first ZOWIE FK, The coating is one of the biggest changes from the ZOWIE AM and it feels super smooth and easy to grip. Having used the mouse for more than a month I can tell that it's more resistant to sweat than the usual rubber coating used normally in gaming mice. Another great thing is that it's easier to clean.

2da38c9b_finaltca.jpeg

Putting everything in to account the ZOWIE FK2 overall is probably my favourite mouse that I have ever tried and it's hard to find any flaws with it. In terms of shape, weight and build quality it is pretty much perfect for anyone using clawgrip or fingertip. Sensor performance it's greatly improved since the ZOWIE FK and should be more than enough for anyone. The switches feel good but can't can get a bit tiring in moba and strategy games because of the higher amount required to activate, so If I had to change anything it would be to make them a bit easier to press.

So to sum it up
+Very good perfect control speed
+High performance at all dpi levels
+No prediction
+No tracking bugs
+Very low lift off distance
+No acceleration
+Good balanced weight(85g)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Excellent review, love the formatting. Informative and detailed yet to the point. Good quality pics as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
So the FK2 is just a smaller FK1?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserFrederick View Post

So the FK2 is just a smaller FK1?
Yes. Internally and performance-wise they are identical.

• Rep+
Reactions: KaiserFrederick

·
Registered
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post

Yes. Internally and performance-wise they are identical.
Cool, thanks for clarifying that
tongue.gif

·
Registered
135 Posts
I read somewhere that the fk2 is using a different huano switch compared to the fk1 (something about huano reds and blues), and as such fk2 switches are supposedly lighter compared to fk1. Can you confirm this? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That sounds like far to big a change for Zowie to make in one go. Expect that after sales have died down
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Ok review, thanks for the work.

But in my opinion it was a bit biased.

- The feet are (way) too thin.
- The shape is only suitable for fingertip or claw (but small/medium hands). Large hands won't even get a good claw grip on the FK2.
- DPI steps are nice but it lacks the configurability the 3310 provides.
- coating is good but wears out fast.
- FK2 (as well as FK1) might have the hardest clicks and get in your way when your hand isn't warmed up for example.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's got the old logo which surprises me.

As always Zowie mice lack the full functionality of the PMW-3310 sensor which is configurable CPI in 50cpi increments and a LOD that can be adjusted in small increments. The configurable CPI is really important for anything that uses a cursor because it's the only way to adjust sensitivity. Too many people are way too FPS focused in their reviews to the detriment of other genres such as MOBA and RTS.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerronchua55 View Post

I read somewhere that the fk2 is using a different huano switch compared to the fk1 (something about huano reds and blues), and as such fk2 switches are supposedly lighter compared to fk1. Can you confirm this? Thanks in advance
It's more likely that people are just noticing a difference caused by the shell. After all, the shells are responsible for a large part of the stiff clicks of these mice but people attribute that entirely to huanos.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ak57 View Post

It's more likely that people are just noticing a difference caused by the shell. After all, the shells are responsible for a large part of the stiff clicks of these mice but people attribute that entirely to huanos.
mentions that the FK2 uses the huano blues as opposed to "huano reds" (google search doesn't yield any results, pretty sure he meant huano whites) on the other zowie mice. I remember reading from somewhere that huano blues are supposedly lighter, so it'll be good if someone could confirm this. The huanos on my FK1 is slightly too stiff for my liking.

EDIT: Takasta mentions about the switches at 1:24.

·
Mouse reviewer
3,103 Posts
Quote:

mentions that the FK2 uses the huano blues as opposed to "huano reds" (google search doesn't yield any results, pretty sure he meant huano whites) on the other zowie mice. I remember reading from somewhere that huano blues are supposedly lighter, so it'll be good if someone could confirm this. The huanos on my FK1 is slightly too stiff for my liking.

The FK1 uses blue Huanos too. Iirc the older ones used reds.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:

He was referring to the old FK (listen again), and yes they are white/grey.
FK1 uses blue

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the older ZOWIE models anymore. But before I compared to the ninox aurora and the ninox aurora still feels harder to press, and it still feels harder to press than the steelseries sensei. If the switches in the fk1 and fk2 is lighter it's not lighter by much than the older reds. I would say it's probably the shelf itself that makes the buttons harder to press than the usual gaming mice.

I wouldn't call it a flaw though, more a preference. Some people want the buttons to be hard to press, others want it to be very easy to press. I prefer it to be light like on the Mionix naos 8200, Logitech g400 , Razer deathadder mice, cm storm spawn

EDIT

I did a small tests on "How many times can you click in 10 seconds" http://www.brainbashersgames.com/games/10seconds.asp. The FK2 is actually quite fast. Maybe takasta is right about it being easier to press. I think because my hand is small so when I hold it in my normal grip my fingers are further back on the mouse which makes it harder to press. At the front of the mouse it's definately easier to press than the steelseries sensei. Thanks everyone I will update my review asap with this information

Cm storm spawn 92
logitech g100s 87
ZOWIE FK2 87
Ninox Aurora 85

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoprince View Post

wow a HaiiYaa review, its been a long time since i've seen one of these (your old reviews were awesome!).

nice man, thanks.
There just hasn't been anything worth reviewing, and I found some mice that I actually liked instead of having to keep searching for the perfect mouse
biggrin.gif

I was close to getting the logitech g502 because of the sensor but then I saw the weight...

·
PC Gamer
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiiYaa View Post

I did a small tests on "How many times can you click in 10 seconds" http://www.brainbashersgames.com/games/10seconds.asp. The FK2 is actually quite fast. Maybe takasta is right about it being easier to press. I think because my hand is small so when I hold it in my normal grip my fingers are further back on the mouse which makes it harder to press. At the front of the mouse it's definately easier to press than the steelseries sensei. Thanks everyone I will update my review asap with this information

Cm storm spawn 92
logitech g100s 87
ZOWIE FK2 87
Ninox Aurora 85
only got 77 with my G302

1 - 20 of 35 Posts