Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction:
The PA2V2 was developed by a man named Gary attending university for electrical engineering 4 years ago. From his first model (PA1) to this one Gary built over 6000 amps across 60 countries. Today with the success of his headphone amps Gary is able to purchase higher quality parts in bulk and passes his savings on to his customers. You can purchase a PA2V2 at http://www.electric-avenues.com/ for $60 USD shipped.

Features:
  • SMALL! 2.6"(L) x 2.6"(W) x 1.1"(T)
  • AC Adapter (To recharge batteries or use at your desk)
  • 100 hours of playback on a charge (2x AA batteries, not sure if they're included or not. Mine came with them but I'm close so he may have thrown them in since I save on shipping.)
  • ABS enclosure
  • Output of up to 200mW RMS
  • Frequency response 5Hz - 40Khz
  • Signal to noise ratio (SNR) is 100 dB
  • Power supply filter circuit (Eliminates 50/60Hz hum when listen with it plugged into the AC adapter)
  • High quality caps, pots and Swiss made volume knob)
  • Lifetime warranty! As long as Gary is alive your amp can be repaired at no extra charge if something goes wrong.
  • While his website and operation instruction don't say, Gary has informed me that his new versions of the PA2V2 have gain adjustments on the inside via two small blue screws.

The Package
Approximately a week after I ordered the head phone amp from Electric-Avenues it arrived at my door in a padded envelope then the package again was wrapped in bubble wrap. Everything was well packaged and survived travel perfectly.
Upon removing the bubble wrap I discovered 2 nice surprises. First off, Gary had added a nice personal touch and included a nice little message. Secondly he had packaged in a 3.5 male to 3.5 male cable (~1' long) to hook up my external source. While the cable is nothing special it does the job and helps keeping the price so low. I would've liked to perhaps see a longer cable (Maybe 3 or 4 feet) especially if you plan on using this at your desk and attaching it to your sound card, but the short cable makes sense for on-the-go with your MP3.

The AC Adapter:
The AC adapter to recharge your AA batteries or power the amp is a Japanese made Unisonic unit. It powers the amp with 3v at 200mA. The converter is small and seams fairly solid. The cable is ~6' by my guessing and is very thin. The connection to the amp is a 2.5mm male mono with a negative polarity tip.

The Unit:
Upon closer examination the first thing I noticed is the size. The PA2V2 is TINY. It easily fits in your pocket along with your iPod. The second thing I noticed is the build quality. The unit is constructed of thick ABS plastic with 2 screws on the underside to hold it together. The front features a Swiss-made volume knob, on/off switch, AC adapter plug, input and output 3.5mm jacks. All of these are mounted on a crimson red panel that illuminates when a power LED is on within the unit. All the jacks, switch and knob are excellent quality and don't feel frail at all.

Powered off

Powered on

The Sound:
Now to what really matters! I tested the amp with FLAC files played via Winamp through my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and finally my trusted HD555s. I tested with the amp running on AC power and on battery. All testing was done a 60% volume from the computer and adjusted via the amp, as recommended.
Upon first listening I noticed that the lower end is much more powerful and clear. I had to readjust my custom EQ because I normally have the lower end higher than the other frequencies. The clarity was improved as well, I noticed things in songs that I've never heard before. The high ends never got harsh and still very smooth as well as the mids. The main difference I noticed was the increase in the lower end and the increase in "punch".
I heard no noise at all from the amp even with the AC adapter plugged (Thanks to Gary's handy work). Although the unit offers screws on the inside (Via opening the enclosure by those 2 screws on the bottom) to adjust the gain I found that my personal preference was the way mine came. This could just be my ears and/or cans but worth a try to see if you find a sound you like better.

Pros & Cons:

Pros:
  • Build quality
  • Sound quality
  • Price
  • Customer care and support (Gary was quick to answer any of my questions and provide input, as well as the lifetime warranty)
  • Packaging
Cons:

• I would have liked to see at least a 1/4" jack for output but after inquiring about it to Gary he said he had to sacrifice the jack to keep the small size and I completely understand.
  • AC power cable is quite thin. While not a huge deal but if you're accident prone like myself make sure to keep it well out of the way.
  • AC power input placement. Again not a huge deal but for desk use I would have liked to have the power input on the back of the unit to keep the look clean. Again this isn't possible without increasing the size because the battery housing is at the back.
This is one kick ass product. If I had a gold award I would gladly award it to this little amp but alas all it gets is my praise.

Conclusion:
First off I would like to thank Gary for the awesome product and support he's offered with it. I would also like to thank you for reading this, I felt this product would be an excellent addition for anyone here looking to go hi-fi on a budget. I'm sorry about the picture quality, my DSLR had no juice when I had the time to write this up. Please feel free to message me with any issues/complaints/criticism/suggestions, etc.

Thank you

·
Lep
1,384 Posts
Thank you for the write up, I haven't read it yet as I'm too tired from work but could you tell me how heavy the unit is without PSU? Thanks

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ariasoli View Post
I'm surprised for the price and the turnout of this review that this amp hasn't gotten more attention. Any reason why?
It gets quite a bit of attention, to be fair.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Dude, you actually survived the chair??

Asl I've been looking where to buy these everywhere. . .I might just pick this up.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I'm actually surprised the PA2v2 gets as much notice as it does... I wouldn't say it's a great amp at all, very bassy and grainy IMHO.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster;13285096
The Fiio E5 also looks better. I definitely noticed a difference in sound quality and "tightness" in my Sennheiser HD238 when I plugged it into the Fiio E5 than just having the Zune HD.
do you guys think the e5 will make a difference with my m50s and my itouch?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts