Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
If you are considering buying a DX11 video card then this is a serious contender for the price, coming in at just £140 makes it a good choice for an upgrade.

ATI has always tried to give the best price for the best performance per watt, this HD5770 introduces a 40nm which is very effective at keeping it cool and the fans are incredibly quite considering its performance. This card from XFX is a slightly overclocked version over the stock speeds of a HD5770 giving you an increased GPU clock speed of 875Mhz and a memory speed of 1300Mhz. These clocks aren't really that high and these can easily be reached on a normal HD5770 but if you don't like the idea of overclocking your new video card then this will not disappoint you.

Now DX11 is on the scene it will be something you look for in your next upgrade but lets hope DX11 will be available in many more games than that of DX10. It's not just new games however, some existing titles are getting DX11 updates such as The Lord of the Rings Online which will see an update in the first quarter of 2010.

Packaging and bundle
Now for the packaging and bundle. As with all XFX cards they come in a long and thin shaped box nicely covered in artwork and facts! The box is always well put together and finished with a glossy shine
As you will notice on the right hand side of the box is 2 stickers one displaying that its an XFX overclocked edition and the other showing that it comes with a free game, more on that later.

Within this box is another black box typical of XFX displaying their logo and website. This is their generic box they use for all their video cards.

XFX usually include a nice bundle with their video cards, it comes with all the important items. Included is the Installation guide, quick start guide, VGA-DVI adapter, 2x 4pin molex to 6pin PCI-E adapter (Although I would recommend using your PSU's adapter if you can), ATI Driver disc, Do Not Disturb door hanger which has the serial numbers etc on it, Assassin's Creed full game and finally the GPU.

This seems like a very nice bundle although I feel it could have included a a crossfire connector which used to be supplied with XFX cards.

Assassin's Creed isn't a bad game really but I would have hoped that XFX would have included a copy of Dirt 2 or a voucher to download it like Sapphire and ASUS are doing because that will allow you to experience some DX11 gaming with your new card as it's unlikely that you will have a DX11 game kicking around
This is also an 'old' game now so I would have at least hoped for Assassin's Creed 2; but all the same I'm happy with the bundle XFX gave us with this card.

Closer look at the card itself
Some people can make a decision on two similar video cards simply on the fan cooler alone and with the HD5770 bridging the gap between the GTS250 and GTX260 this is why I think ATI have given it such a good looking cooler which gives the same look of its bigger brother, the 5870, but smaller. It is a very effective cooler because it doesn't blow any of the hot air into the case unlike the standard version of the HD5770 (Which got a revised cooler earlier this year and is egg shaped) it blows it straight out the back of the case cooling the card very effectively. As usual much like most of the high end cards it uses a dual slot heatsink which I personally prefer on a card.

The card looks shiny/rough round the edges but that's because XFX put a sticker over the design to prevent any damage or scratching to the visuals. Just remember to take that off before you install it

The back of the card shows the black PCB which is pretty much a standard these days, a serial number on a sticker and surprisingly only one Crossfire connector although if I'm right in saying, this did have dual connectors but the PCB got revised.

The front of the card slopes down slightly into a curve to add to the design again. These two vents on the front of the card are very effective at what they do. They suck in a lot of the air needed to cool this card and then the fan shoots it out the back of the card which goes out of the case. Tucked away under the right hand side vent is the six pin power connector which once plugged in makes it awkward to get out (or at least with my VX550).

With the HD5770 mirroring its bigger brother the 5870 it shows this rather nice looking strip down the side of the card with a couple of vents on it. These are placed in certain positions to get rid of excess air that isn't taken out the back of the card although this is very minimal.

Although you can't really see it in this picture there is also an engraving saying "ATI RADEON" down the side which is a nice effect as well.

The HD5770 has everything you would expect from a high end video card today, a couple of DVI connectors, HDMI connector and a Displayport connector, with all these connectors there isn't much room left but ATI have squeezed some little vents in there as well which are very important to the cards cooling system.

Now for a few tests
The test setup I used for this card was as follows:
- Intel Pentium E5200 at 2.5Ghz
- Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
- ASUS P5QL/EPU
- Samsung 20" Monitor 1600x900
- Corsair VX 550W
- Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

For the testing I used a GTS250 to compare it with and to see if it was really worth the upgrade. As you can see from the results shown that the HD5770 out performs the the GTS250 in all four tests.

If you was to upgrade from a GTS250 1GB edition I wouldn't expect a huge increase in performance but a small increase none the less. In all my games I have noticed a small increase in FPS.

This doesn't look worth it but there are a number of other benefits as to why you should get this card over a GTS250 and possibly even a GTX260, these are:

- Increased FPS over a GTS250 (I'd say on par with GTX260)
- DX11 support which the other two cards don't have
- 40nm technology which means cooler running cards compared with the 65nm the other two use.
- A lot quieter than the GTS250 at load

I haven't overclocked my E5200 on my ASUS motherboard but when I overclocked it with my Gigabyte motherboard and GTS250 I got 3.5Ghz and was achieving very similar results to the HD5770 in CSS and Lotro although the HD5770 is still outperforming that just. If I overclocked my CPU to 3.5Ghz again I would more than likely see some significant increase in FPS again.

Temperatures
I didn't cover temperatures too much but I did record a few temperatures while playing the Crysis SP Demo and at idle.

As you can see the HD5770 does run cooler than the GTS250 both using auto fan speed. At load the GTS250 is a lot hotter than the HD5770 was and is also really loud which can be annoying although the HD5770 was only just increased in volume.

Final thoughts
Overall, I am very impressed with this card. Its cheap, offers DX11 and very playable FPS on all my games so far.

If you are worried about PSU requirements I was running this on a VX550 and it powers it easily.

One thing I must add, if you are planning on buying this be aware of your motherboard. I had a Gigabyte motherboard which had a 630i chipset and PCI-E 1.0 slot. When I put this card in it failed to boot and the fan speeds went a bit crazy. This is apparently due to a chipset incompatibility but I fixed this by buying a new ASUS motherboard which had a PCI-E 2.0 slot and an Intel chipset. So just be aware of that as I RMA'd 3 and everytime they said it was faulty when it wasn't

Overall Score

Overclocking
Here is an excellent guide to follow to overclock your GPU: How To: Overclock Your ATi GPU
Before overclocking make sure that you update your drivers to the latest version which is currently 10.3. This will ensure maximum chance of stability and performance with your GPU

The XXX Edition comes factory overclocked from 850Mhz Core to 875mhz Core and 1200Mhz memory clock to 1300mhz memory clock. Those overclocks can easily be achieved on a normal version of the 5770 as well as much more.

I overclocked my HD5770 from the factory settings [875Mhz/1300Mhz] to 900Mhz core and 1400Mhz memory clock [900Mhz/1400Mhz].

In the table below I recorded the overclocks, temperatures at 100% load for two minutes and then did two Resident Evil 5 benchmarks to test for any performance gain.

As you can see from the above tests that after overclocking the GPU a little more to 900Mhz/1400Mhz the FPS in the Fixed Test was roughly the same but there was a 2fps increase in the variable test which uses actual game play rather than a constructed scene to benchmark.

During the benchmarking with the fan speed set to auto on the overclocked test the GPU jumped up to 92c but this can easily be controlled if you don't mind a slightly nosier GPU than usual by upping the fan speed to 65% - 70% then the temperatures are around the 85c - 87c area.

5770 [875Mhz/1300Mhz] Results

5770 [900Mhz/1400Mhz] Results

I hope you enjoyed reading this review and enjoy your new GPU and if you have any questions please post them here or PM me
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daney View Post
Nice review there

Perhaps some overclocking tests could be run on the card? Also, why are you on watercooling for 2.5ghz?

I'm watercooling because before I got this ASUS motherboard I had a Gigabyte and was overclocking it to 3.5ghz and 3.6ghz. With this new motherboard its harder to overclock and I just haven't started it yet

I may look into a few overclocking tests thanks

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeviousAddict View Post
im thinking of getting 2 of these in xfire, how do these compare to a single gtx260? i cant find any comparisons on the web

I can't prove it because I don't have 2 to test together but I think they would outperform a GTX260 not sure if many games actually support Crossfire or not or I'd look into that first

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
I wouldn't bother converting Pounds to Dollars in your opening paragraph, because that's way more then we pay for the card ($215 that is)
Thanks I've removed it from the introduction. Wasn't sure how much you would pay for it really so I just used Google to convert

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by corx View Post
Have the same card as you. Nice performance and I have it overclocked on 1000/1400, it's stable.
I might bump mine up a little then

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks a lot for doing this review. I was really confused between this card and the gts 250. Now I'm 80% sure I want this, the only problem is my budget...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unleash The Beast View Post
Thanks a lot for doing this review. I was really confused between this card and the gts 250. Now I'm 80% sure I want this, the only problem is my budget...
I would defiantly go for the 5770 over a GTS250
You can get a GTS250 for around £100-£120 but a 5770 from around £125-£160 so personally I would save up that bit extra and get the 5770

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update 1: Version 1.10

- Spelling and grammar corrected
- Fixed a few sentences that didn't make sense
- Added in a overall score table

Coming soon, temperatures and overclocking table

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Added the overclocking section to the review
(sorry to double post)

Overclocking
Here is an excellent guide to follow to overclock your GPU: How To: Overclock Your ATi GPU
Before overclocking make sure that you update your drivers to the latest version which is currently 10.3. This will ensure maximum chance of stability and performance with your GPU

The XXX Edition comes factory overclocked from 850Mhz Core to 875mhz Core and 1200Mhz memory clock to 1300mhz memory clock. Those overclocks can easily be achieved on a normal version of the 5770 as well as much more.

I overclocked my HD5770 from the factory settings [875Mhz/1300Mhz] to 900Mhz core and 1400Mhz memory clock [900Mhz/1400Mhz].

In the table below I recorded the overclocks, temperatures at 100% load for two minutes and then did two Resident Evil 5 benchmarks to test for any performance gain.

As you can see from the above tests that after overclocking the GPU a little more to 900Mhz/1400Mhz the FPS in the Fixed Test was roughly the same but there was a 2fps increase in the variable test which uses actual game play rather than a constructed scene to benchmark.

During the benchmarking with the fan speed set to auto on the overclocked test the GPU jumped up to 92c but this can easily be controlled if you don't mind a slightly nosier GPU than usual by upping the fan speed to 65% - 70% then the temperatures are around the 85c - 87c area.

5770 [875Mhz/1300Mhz] Results

5770 [900Mhz/1400Mhz] Results

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.