Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

So bought a "Aura compatible" LED strip for my ASUS STRIX Z270-I mini motherboard with the expectation to bling things up a little.

However, they don't really seem that compatible.

The connector/adapter supplied for the strip is a 3 pin - yet the motherboard is 4 pin. Great start, cant even hook it up.

I also noticed the LED strip is rated at 5volts, but my motherboard pinout says 12v? would this also be a problem? (Pics below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hgda8l8bdara1h/rgb.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zkmmbdr0zd3mxt/P_20180823_152620_vHDR_On.jpg?dl=0

Have i just wasted 30 dollars on a single LED strip? (Really, there was nothing else i could find in the market to suit my requirements..)

If so, i think i'm going to forget all about the "Aura" capabilities until they get their act together and stop making lights unnecessarily complex, or at least put some LED's on the market that arn't ridiculously scarce and overpriced.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is the exact name of the product you purchased? Link?

A compatible cable from what I can tell should have 4 pins. I.E. https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-widebeam-magnetic-rgb-led-strip-30cm/
Cheers for the reply

the LED strip is a Akasa Vegas MBA https://www.scan.co.uk/products/aka...rip-light-ideal-for-asus-aura-gigabyte-fusion

Not only does is state "Aura compatible" it also says: "Connector 3-pin or 4-pin digital addressable LED connector only"

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,881 Posts
This is quite confusing. If that's the case, and it didn't come with the appropriate 4-pin connector, I would contact SCAN or AKASA.

As well, if it's compatible, why is it 5v when clearly Asus states it should be 12v.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help but I can't find any additional information from users about that product.

https://www.techfortechs.co.uk/akasa-argb

Edit: There is some sort of review here with a list of compatible motherboards and from what I can tell, yours isn't on there.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4929aa_0f467f78d5eb42ff9c628986c9287eb3.pdf

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is quite confusing. If that's the case, and it didn't come with the appropriate 4-pin connector, I would contact SCAN or AKASA.

As well, if it's compatible, why is it 5v when clearly Asus states it should be 12v.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help but I can't find any additional information from users about that product.

https://www.techfortechs.co.uk/akasa-argb

Edit: There is some sort of review here with a list of compatible motherboards and from what I can tell, yours isn't on there.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4929aa_0f467f78d5eb42ff9c628986c9287eb3.pdf

Confusing is exactly what it is. Cheers for the help but i think this is just more trouble than it's worth for the sake of a few LED's.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hm, Just looked at the reverse of the packaging:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbbjfsav62vwp7o/P_20180823_160429_vHDR_On.jpg?dl=0

seems like Akasa's idea of a "4 pin adaptor" is basically a 3 pin. Something conveniently not made clear on the website(s).

Yeah, when manufacturers do this sort of bull**** i think it speaks volumes for that particular market on a whole. Get the distinct impression the whole RGB scene is all gimmic/marketing/extortion than it is simplicity and actual sincere appeal.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,881 Posts
I think it's safe to say that its worth to try to return it. My guess is that the adapter that is provided will allow you to safely install the LED cable into a 5v, 4-pin connector. However, since your motherboard is 4 pin, 12v connector, I wouldn't risk trying to make it work.

If you look closely at the picture, the 4-pin slot that they're expecting the user to use is a 4-pin spaced layout with one of the pins missing. From my understanding, your board isn't compatible.

My suggestion, return it and try to find a 12v LED cable that is compatible, like that Cable Mod cable I linked. I'm unsure if that product is available in the UK but you should be able to find the correct product.

I partly blame Asus on this. If there are differences between Aura cables, it should be clearly identified.

Edit: You may be able to find the proper adapter online from your 12v - 4 pin motherboard header but I would safely assume that you would still need a 12v LED cable. If you find the proper adapter, it might fry the cable if the cable is indeed rated for 5v.

Jesus... what a headache lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are two types of LED strips.

5v addressable (digital) and 12v RGB.

Your board only has a header for 12v RGB.

Most boards now days have both 5v 3 pin and 12v 4 pin headers on them but because your board is an ITX size board, Asus decided to only put one 4 12v 4 pin header on it.

The LED strip you purchased is a 5v addressable (digital) strip and will not work with your motherboard.

You will need to get a 12v RGB LED strips.

Connecting the 5v LED strip to the 12v header on your board will damage the LED strip.

You could also buy a separate 3 pin digital controller for the LED strip and use it that way. Although you would not be able to sync effects and colors between the board and the strip with one control app.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's safe to say that its worth to try to return it. My guess is that the adapter that is provided will allow you to safely install the LED cable into a 5v, 4-pin connector. However, since your motherboard is 4 pin, 12v connector, I wouldn't risk trying to make it work.

If you look closely at the picture, the 4-pin slot that they're expecting the user to use is a 4-pin spaced layout with one of the pins missing. From my understanding, your board isn't compatible.

My suggestion, return it and try to find a 12v LED cable that is compatible, like that Cable Mod cable I linked. I'm unsure if that product is available in the UK but you should be able to find the correct product.

I partly blame Asus on this. If there are differences between Aura cables, it should be clearly identified.

Edit: You may be able to find the proper adapter online from your 12v - 4 pin motherboard header but I would safely assume that you would still need a 12v LED cable. If you find the proper adapter, it might fry the cable if the cable is indeed rated for 5v.

Jesus... what a headache lol

What adds insult to injury is that i never got my LED's from SCAN - instad Ebay which was even more expensive.

Largely because Google, Amazon all turned up results that weren't ideal for me or didn't display anything at all.

Even if i google for another LED strip, I'm not going to be able to trust whats actually written on the product description.

What a sorry state of affairs for a bit of bling. Ridiculous and not worth the effort or cost.

There are two types of LED strips.

5v addressable (digital) and 12v RGB.

Your board only has a header for 12v RGB.

Most boards now days have both 5v 3 pin and 12v 4 pin headers on them but because your board is an ITX size board, Asus decided to only put one 4 12v 4 pin header on it.

The LED strip you purchased is a 5v addressable (digital) strip and will not work with your motherboard.

You will need to get a 12v RGB LED strips.

Connecting the 5v LED strip to the 12v header on your board will damage the LED strip.

You could also buy a separate 3 pin digital controller for the LED strip and use it that way. Although you would not be able to sync effects and colors between the board and the strip with one control app.

^^^^ wish i knew this before i parted with a single penny. Cheers for the clarification. Wish manufacturers did the same. I wonder how many sales they make are actual screwups caused by all the confusion out there.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,881 Posts
jonkrmr explained it very well. Would rep if I could...

Best of luck if you decide to return it.

If not, plug it into your mobo and watch that baby spark up ahahaha....

P.S. Don't actually do that and risk ****ing your motherboard :D

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jonkrmr explained it very well. Would rep if I could...

Best of luck if you decide to return it.

If not, plug it into your mobo and watch that baby spark up ahahaha....

P.S. Don't actually do that and risk ****ing your motherboard :D
This is actually what happend to the last set of molex powered LED's i had. Started smoking and bam.

Decided then to delve into the Aura capabilities that's got Asus's marketing groins so wet. Only to find this crap.

Yeah, screw it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty much marketing hype at this point.

No standardization for it, each manufacture doing their own thing with it.

I have a Gigabyte board, has both 12v RGB 4 pin and 5v digital 3 pin headers on it. The 3 pin digital headers are true 3 pin headers.

Asus uses 4 pin headers with a pin missing for their 3 pin digital headers on their boards.

I believe MSI has a different pin out on their 4 pin 12v headers on their boards, does not follow +12RBG, more like +12RGB or something like that.

If you are planning to do RGB from the start of the build, you can do your homework and make it work (attached a pic of my rig) but doing it after the fact can be frustrating.

Even in my rig I have two separate lighting systems. One off the motherboard and one off of NZXT Hue+ (the NZXT Hue+ is not compatable with +12RBG - it is +5vRBG, go figure).

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts