Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmm...so after a week and a half..I got all my parts and everything is put together now. I don't have a digital camera so I can't provide pictures -_-" {at least not yet). The wire management was a hassle and the hardest thing was mounting the
TT Big Typhoon VX @#$%

Now...a few things first...

When I first power on the system, there is this short loud fan sound for about 1-2 seconds then it dies back down to very low/silent. Is this normal?
BTW, the P5W DH Deluxe has two ethernet ports..what is the point of have "dual" ethernet ports? Isn't one sufficient?

I'm sure I have some more questions I just can't think of right now..

·
Banned
931 Posts
That is probably the heatsink fan on your processor. When you first boot it turns on just in case your processor would need cooling right away, then when it reads the temps it turns it down a little to reduce noise.

·
Banned
931 Posts
It's not really an issue. It is what the mobo and heatsink do. My Zalman does the same thing and I'm sure a lot of them do it.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
i believe having ethernet ports is so you can bridge your netowrk or something to that extent..thats what i have heard..but i have no clue what that means..

hope that helps..

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind the ethernet question.

The fan/sound thing again..now that cisf0rcalvin mentioned the video card, I'm not sure. It's coming from the HSF/Video card area since they are a few inches away from each other. Aside from my rig, I encountered this same problem on my cousin's pc once. It was on stock cooler and onboard graphics.

Any other insights? I would remount the Typhoon VX but it is a HASSLE. It took me probably an hour to get the thing in. Plus, if I were to do that, I would have to take everything out, which I am not going to do

EDIT - Do these light up in any way? Since it says UV..i'm not sure how it realy works.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ It probably is the stock cooler on the x1900xt. I'll probably replace that. Which one is a good one? I saw some people have this zalman one but i forgot which one it was.

Problems now..Sometimes when I use the DVD drive when the disc is inside..there is this weird "static-like"/"electricity-like" sound being emitted. I'm not sure if it's from the inside of the drive itself or something with the wires. Help?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
A lot of Core 2 Duo fans, when plugged into the CPU_FAN header, will boot up with the fan on and then the fan will deactivate under a certain temperature. You might be able to choose this temperature in your BIOS.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyyboii
When I first power on the system, there is this short loud fan sound for about 1-2 seconds then it dies back down to very low/silent. Is this normal?
I had an ATI X850 XT 256mb. It would do this when the system first turned on. The stock fan on the ATI would spin loudly and then die down. When I installed the zalman vf900 gpu cooler, and booted the system, I noticed that it didn't happen anymore. This is the only way I knew it was coming from the video card. So like it was said before, it's most likely the fan on your video card.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts