Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please provide feedback on my choices. Much appreciated.

Here is a list of parts I could find on PCpartspicker:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/daveownsjoo/saved/3Wlj

Case: Corsair 760T (new this month). pretty much sold on this.

Psu: Going for a fully modular, gold, psu. I know 650W is plenty for me but on Newegg the 750W is only $10 more. If I can find the 650W somewhere cheaper I will just go with that. I don't necessarily need to go with Seasonic, so if you have suggestions, shoot.

SSD: I don't need the Pro series, if I can find the Evo for significantly less, I'll go that route, unless you guys think otherwise. The 256GB is plenty for my needs. I have an old 128GB Crucial c300 which I also plan to use as a secondary and a WD Caviar Black 1TB for media storage. Anyone see any problems with this?

RAM: this was tough to decide on, any help is appreciated. Not sure if 16GB is ridiculous and I should just go with a 2x4GB kit?

GPU: Not including this part yet as I will stick it out with my GTX 570 until early summer and then we reassess the market for a new card. If I were to buy today, it would be a GTX 780, however I am going to save the money at this time.

Intended use: Games (SC2, TF2, CS:GO for now, later on I'll grab a new card and probably get into some BF4). I will also use this rig for later releases of FPS games probably. Other than that, I don't do anything intensive but I plan to use this for folding. Never done this before, but for some reason I have the itch to do so. This is the reason for the 4770K over the 4670K. I understand hyperthreading will be useful. I usually keep these builds for 5 years or so before moving on so I would like something that will hang for a few years.

No real budget to go on but money saved is money earned.

Current rig: sig rig. don't laugh, been out of the game for a while. It is time for a new one. My mobo can't even use TRIM support so my SSD is kinda pointless. Sad.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
You dont need more then 500 watts for a GTX 780

If you want fully modular in that wattage range then pretty much the only unit thats good is the XFX XTR

Stay away from the Corsair RM

• Rep+
Reactions: MaKe OuT

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Honestly I would throw my hat in for this RAM, you can get 2 kits to get you to 16GB. And it's 2133.

Edit: I imagine Seasonic makes good PSUs, but the NZXT one here is $10 for another 200W. Only 2 reviews on Newegg but they're beautifully crafted and reviewed on other sites.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvos00 View Post

Honestly I would throw my hat in for this RAM, you can get 2 kits to get you to 16GB. And it's 2133.

Edit: I imagine Seasonic makes good PSUs, but the NZXT one here is $10 for another 200W. Only 2 reviews on Newegg but they're beautifully crafted and reviewed on other sites.
1. will i notice a difference between 4x4 and 2x8?
2. if I want to get a good OC, does ram speed matter? 1600 vs 2133? should I go with 1600 to save money?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
2x8 vs 4x4 your just going dual to quad channel, which isn't "that" much of a leap I'm told. Also 2133 is substantially better. I noticed quite an increase with my Samsung RAM going from 1600 to 2133.

I haven't found much correlation between RAM OC and CPU OC, though I'm sure some other members could chime in that have experienced it.

Edit: I could run some benches for ya when I get home on 2133 vs 1600. Though I only have Triple channel, and my RAM is a pain to remove to get it down to dual lol.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

You dont need more then 500 watts for a GTX 780

If you want fully modular in that wattage range then pretty much the only unit thats good is the XFX XTR

Stay away from the Corsair RM
are you saying the XFX XTR is the only fully modular unit that is good in the 500W, 650W, or 750W range? The last time I shopped PSU was back when PC Power and Cooling were one of the best. So I basically know chit.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKe OuT View Post

are you saying the XFX XTR is the only fully modular unit that is good in the 500W, 650W, or 750W range? The last time I shopped PSU was back when PC Power and Cooling were one of the best. So I basically know chit.
No i said only decent fully modular 550 watts

With 650 and 750 watts you got many more option but not much with 550

If you want a fully modular 750 watts then pretty much the best one will be the EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watts once that one hits the market

Its a rebranded Super Flower Leadex

Cooler Master V700 is also a good option but unless you want two video cards you dont need more then 550 watts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

2x8 vs 4x your just going dual to quad channel, which isn't "that" much of a leap I'm told. Also 2133 is substantially better. I noticed quite an increase ith my Samsung RAM going from 160 to 2133.
whoa, you are confusing me now. how am I going quad channel? this is a dual channel setup, LGA1150 and the z87 mobo. My understanding is that if you want the best OC, then you want 2 sticks instead of 4 and sometimes these higher ram sets (anything above 1866) can limit the OC potential. Please advise.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
Quote:

whoa, you are confusing me now. how am I going quad channel? this is a dual channel setup, LGA1150 and the z87 mobo. My understanding is that if you want the best OC, then you want 2 sticks instead of 4 and sometimes these higher ram sets (anything above 1866) can limit the OC potential. Please advise.
You cant go quad on anything but X79 boards

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

No i said only decent fully modular 550 watts

With 650 and 750 watts you got many more option but not much with 550
cool. so lets say I want some margin for later down the road. of course, upgrade the GPU, but like you said the GTX 780 isn't going to up my requirements so much as to get beyond 500W. However, If I decide to go with a custom loop. I don't know what that would do to my power requirements. Would it be smart to invest the extra dough into a 650/750 at this time? I would like a good quality modular unit now, just gotta decide on the power rating.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
Quote:

cool. so lets say I want some margin for later down the road. of course, upgrade the GPU, but like you said the GTX 780 isn't going to up my requirements so much as to get beyond 500W. However, If I decide to go with a custom loop. I don't know what that would do to my power requirements. Would it be smart to invest the extra dough into a 650/750 at this time? I would like a good quality modular unit now, just gotta decide on the power rating.
550 watts is enough for any PC with one video card even if you add a ton of other stuff

Unless you starts to overvolt your video card will you need more

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Quad channel would be 4 sticks of RAM. The best way I could describe would be like "RAID 0"ing your RAM.

I'm not sure of the norm, but my OC moving my RAM from 2133 down to even 1600 doesn't bring my OC above 5 Ghz. (At that speed, temps kick in for me anyway.)

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
Quote:

Quad channel would be 4 sticks of RAM. The best way I could describe would be like "RAID 0"ing your RAM.

I'm not sure of the norm, but my OC moving my RAM from 2133 down to even 1600 doesn't bring my OC above 5 Ghz. (At that speed, temps kick in for me anyway.)
You cant do quad on anything but X79 4 sticks on anything but X79 is dual channel

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
My bad, didn't know Haswell was limited to Dual channel.

Though quad channel is still 4 sticks of RAM.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
Quote:

My bad, didn't know Haswell was limited to Dual channel.

Though quad channel is still 4 sticks of RAM.
Sadly not quad is for X79 only

·
Registered
108 Posts
You probably only want two sticks of RAM for LGA1150. Anything more is not really efficient since LGA1150 can only run dual channel.

Now about the PSU, I'm really not sure why people are recommending such a low wattage. Power supplies are most efficient at about 50% load, so I would definitely not go under 600 watts if you're going to run a 780. They draw a fair amount of power, especially if overclocked. A 500-550 watt PSU might be really on the edge for your system. I have a 750 watt fully modular, gold rated Seasonic PSU. It's treated me very well so far, and as far as I've heard, Seasonic is always pretty solid.

Best of luck with your build!

·
Senior OCN Member
40,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldyviolinist View Post

You probably only want two sticks of RAM for LGA1150. Anything more is not really efficient since LGA1150 can only run dual channel.

Now about the PSU, I'm really not sure why people are recommending such a low wattage. Power supplies are most efficient at about 50% load, so I would definitely not go under 600 watts if you're going to run a 780. They draw a fair amount of power, especially if overclocked. A 500-550 watt PSU might be really on the edge for your system. I have a 750 watt fully modular, gold rated Seasonic PSU. It's treated me very well so far, and as far as I've heard, Seasonic is always pretty solid.

Best of luck with your build!
Its a myth

http://www.overclock.net/t/872013/50-load-myth
http://www.overclock.net/t/711542/on-efficiency

• Rep+
Reactions: moldyviolinist

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I would revise my RAM choice to this then. Assuming 2 sticks, dual channel. It's a step up to 1866 at stock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts