Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a water loop website that suggested two items that I had not seen here or elsewhere, and I'm wondering what the people there though about them.

1. Rinse out ALL items, tubing, fittings, waterblocks, reservoirs, pumps with distilled water, NOT JUST THE RADIATOR.
2. Don't use ANY additives and run with pure DISTILLED water as any additives will eventually break down and encourage corrosion/flora/fauna.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,875 Posts
I came across a water loop website that suggested two items that I had not seen here or elsewhere, and I'm wondering what the people there though about them.

1. Rinse out ALL items, tubing, fittings, waterblocks, reservoirs, pumps with distilled water, NOT JUST THE RADIATOR.

Always rinse your items before installation. Not just the radiator. The main concern with radiator after coming from the factory is there will likely be some leftover flux from the manufacturing process. There likely won't be flux in any of your other items... but its still good practice to rinse. My advice, boil up a kettle of water and use some dish soap. Let it soak in the solution and rinse a few times with the hot water. Once you've done this a few times, rinse with distilled so there aren't any impurities / residue

2. Don't use ANY additives and run with pure DISTILLED water as any additives will eventually break down and encourage corrosion/flora/fauna.

You can use additives. Just be weary of what you use! Some additives are compatible with certain metals or tubing. Some aren't. Regardless, if you're using distilled only or additives, maintenance is required! Additives do break down. Some faster than others. As well, distilled water will eventually become "ionized". So both fluids/coolants need to be replaced from time to time
My answers are in bold. To the comment above mine... no water cooling is not like a fish tank. That is a stupid comparison and a huge misconception.

Fish tanks have ORGANIC matter in them... FISH. They eat in the tank, they leave fecal matter in the water. As well, you add food and other organic material into the water. Yes, you need to maintain the water but it's not the same a closed loop inside a computer. No where near the same...

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,875 Posts
It's fact and I don't see the point of responding to users with the wrong information. So I will call it out. The comparison is stupid and I am not being immature by calling you names.

If you have an issue with that, then either do the research before hand and respond accordingly, accept the criticism, or simply don't post. Up to you.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
I do use hot distilled water to rinse the rads, but I've never rinsed any other component out. No issues with any of my loops using several coolants (distilled water, EK-Ekoolant EVO, Thermaltake C1000, and Mayhems Pastel). I buy a new loop for every build though.

Of course, my experience might be pure luck.

·
Banned
720 Posts
Cleaning

When I finish building a loop, one method I use is to start with a clean bucket like you get at home depot. Boil some distilled water and put it in the bucket. Put a hose from the point you would feed you res into the bucket. Connect a second hose to the pump. Prime the hose connected to the pump, place the end of the primed hose into the bucket and turn on the pump. Be careful that the pump does not run dry as this can damage your pump. I usually use old noisy pumps for this process to be safe. :)

I usually let this run for a while. You'd be amazed at the crap that will settle to the bottom of the bucket after a few hours of running. Little bits of this and that. Then empty the water and add your fluid.

On the subject of additives, there is no such thing as a maintenance free loop. Some people use automotive antifreeze and claim that it lasts the longest without maintenance. I have run Mayhems in loops for 2-3 years without problems, but you have to be aware of the pH of the loop. Mayhems recommends a pH between 7.5 and 8. Between flushing, additives, and other factors you would be surprised at what your pH can end up at in a loop. If your fluid becomes too much of a base or an acid it will speed up corrosion in your loop and lead to discolored fluids or cosmetic damage to your blocks. It doesn't take much variance from the 7.5 to 8 pH to cause problems over time. I have seen many complaints about fluids that can probably be attributed to not flushing enough after using a cleaning agent or using vinegar to clean a loop and not getting all of it out of the loop.

Best of luck!

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Boy you're full of yourself
I best stop posting what are you 8yo lol :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a reply from someone at EKWB. They stated that it's not necessary to rinse out the monoblock or the D5 pump/reservoir before installation. Of course, by then I had already done so, rinsing each with distilled water 4 times or more. I guess it can't hurt.

Right now I'm awaiting a few fittings tomorrow. But I've started building my loop. Iv'e got the two lines into the pump done and tomorrow I'll bend the out from the monoblock into the radiator. Then I'll run a full loop of water for a while to test for leaks, then I'll drain it totally and fill it with coolant.

I'm really looking forward to actually firing this thing up soon and installing Windows.

All of my electronic components are installed and wired up, properly I hope!

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Personally I have never done the whole rinsing/pre cleaning of any components that were new. I just buy good quality kit. I have had multiple rads from all the major brands and only the cheapo Alphacool seemed like they could have used a clean. Never had any issues as a result but that is just a sample of one, albeit multiple times. Most people will recommend cleaning rads and of course if you get any second hand gear it should absolutely be cleaned thoroughly including disassembly if possible.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
I typically rinse everything. Didn't with some ZMT recently....boy, was that a mistake......

And, yeah, I'll stick with using X1, TYVM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts