Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PC Building Raccoon
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check my case today and low and behold: The fan isn't moving
. It's about two years old now but I wonder if it's fixable. I could have sworn that in the last few months it was running slower then normal. Also it does not spin freely, i'm thinking it might need a lil lube on the pin?

My best guess is the motor is kaput, and Arctic's cooling site is half broken. Any help here? I know a lot of you have this product. Also, CPU temps are 48C-54C right now without it on, pretty damn good cooler, but I'm scared to game now.

EDIT: I got it spinning again, figured I could. But it's acting strange from boot up (after POST) it only loses speed and fluctuates in speed while running, what is going on?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The last fan i tried to 'revive' lasted for 2 more years but then suddenly shorted out and somehow killed my 5870 so I'm now of the opinion just to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYLoR View Post
The last fan i tried to 'revive' lasted for 2 more years but then suddenly shorted out and somehow killed my 5870 so I'm now of the opinion just to replace it with a new one.
This. I wouldn't mess with it. See if you can find AC's warranty information. I think the Freezer 7 Pro comes with one.

·
PC Building Raccoon
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got it on Newegg, but I don't have anything else. Also like I said the support button on their site doesn't even work, neither does the link to a replacement fan.

I'm not replacing the unit. I'm sure it will be fine now, I just wondered if there was a reason for it fluctuating.

Also, A cpu fan could somehow short out the PCI-E slot/card?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushnerd View Post
Well I got it on Newegg, but I don't have anything else. Also like I said the support button on their site doesn't even work, neither does the link to a replacement fan.

I'm not replacing the unit. I'm sure it will be fine now, I just wondered if there was a reason for it fluctuating.

Also, A cpu fan could somehow short out the PCI-E slot/card?
I wouldn't want to be the one to test it.

EDIT: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalo...=RMA_PROCEDURE

What were you saying about half broken? Seems pretty good to me.

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
Maybe the fan is covered in dust and it's preventing it from spinning? lol. Just purchase a 92mm fan off newegg and you're set.

·
PC Building Raccoon
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanielcheckers View Post
I wouldn't want to be the one to test it.
EDIT: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalo...=RMA_PROCEDURE
What were you saying about half broken? Seems pretty good to me.
MY BAD doesn't load in Chrome, sue me.

According to that I guess I would send it back to Newegg, they would probably want the whole unit though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPie View Post
Maybe the fan is covered in dust and it's preventing it from spinning? lol. Just purchase a 92mm fan off newegg and you're set.
I clean my case out a lot, of course it's not covered in dust. I doubt they sell cpu cooling fans with a mounting bracket that fits this model, but I could be wrong.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
You say it starts up just fine when it was like new, and then it struggles?

Is there a possibility that inadequate power is being supplied to it?

·
PC Building Raccoon
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

You say it starts up just fine when it was like new, and then it struggles?
Is there a possibility that inadequate power is being supplied to it?

I considered this. But know of no way to change any settings like that. I have a multimeter though, I would check if I knew how to use the thing.

Is the cpu fan power port thermally controlled at all? I wish I had a fan controller in cases like this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing. Maybe it's PWM acting up or something.

Also, sorry, I didn't mean for that to be taken as hostile. I also didn't know you were using Chrome.

·
PC Building Raccoon
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to be doing ok now...I think it had something to do with the lubrication really. Does anyone know what kind of bearing the fan uses? I have WD-40 and grease, I just need to know what to put on the fan pin.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
WD-40 is a penetrating lubricant and its so light, it won't last long as a lubricant. If by grease, you mean thermal grease, then ok. If you mean grease as a lubricant, then NO. Its too thick and will hinder your fans performance. Go buy some of that 3 in 1 household/electrical oils for $3.99.

Either that or get a 120mm fan and zip-tie to your heatsink.

EDIT: I didn't mean thermal grease as a lubricant. I thought you were implying to reapply.

• Rep+
Reactions: Rushnerd
1 - 13 of 13 Posts