Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guessed it...trying to run some faster RAM. Mostly I was wanting to get away from having a 4x2 kit, to hopefully improve.

I've looked over a few threads so far, but haven't found much info on this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

I received a set, and am trying to make it work in the sig rig (shows old RAM). I never did mess with pushing the older stuff much...seemed to enjoy where it was.

This is 1.5V RAM with loose timings. Over lunch I was able to at least get the system booting with the RAM on higher (1.57) voltage, and running DDR 1333. Admittedly I'm none too familiar with the advanced timings I see in my board's BIOS, so am looking at those as well.

What I can tell is that this RAM loves 1333 speeds, and won't run any other speed, including slower. However, it will run 1333 at CAS6 (6-7-7-18 1T), which I don't think is very bad. Could be the IMC, or maybe lower voltage is the issue.

Does anyone know what ICs are used in these sticks, or what voltage they can safely operate with? I'd love to make this stuff work, if for nothing else than proof of concept. I can post up all other timings later to help with specificity.

If all else fails I do have a different motherboard to try, but I'd like to try it with the UD5 first, and also find out why it will not run at any other speed (even with all stock clocks).

CPU/NB voltage is 1.25
RAM is 1.57
NB is 1.2
Bus is 250 Mhz
NB Frequency: 2500
HT: 2000
CPU Frequency: 3.2 or 4.0, depending on where I put it.
CPU Voltage: 1.425 (for either speed, and for testing right now)

Also of note: heat is not an issue with this right now, as the CPU, chipset, VRM are all water cooled, and showing low temps (30s C).

Thanks for the help/info.

·
OG AMD
8,927 Posts
Those RAM should work at a variety of speed and timings,with a little voltage.I have run several of these RipjawsX kits on AMD,and they work fine.They are picky about timings though.Best voltage for overclocking is around 1.67-1.76v.Also the IMC needs alot of voltage. 1.4v+
My current set-1333MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231439

5411139.jpg

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I need to update this: I spent most of yesterday trying to get something solid. For about 2 hours I had it, then back to instability. So I swapped the RAM to an Asus M4A89GTD Pro....overclocked, tightened timings, stock voltage, and not one issue. The 890FXA-UD5: great looking, nicely optioned board. I regret buying the unstable piece of crap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts