Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on the lookout for a new mouse, found a guy that is selling 2 of the mice i have been looking at, which is the Steelseries Rival 300 and the Zowie EC1-A. I like them both since they both seem to have a similar shape to my current Deathadder.

I have the Deathadder 3G V2, which have been working out great for me for many years, sadly its starting to show its old age, double click issues and scroll wheel randomly not working right. I bough the Deathadder Chroma, but the overall quality and feel just isnt nowhere near the old Deathadder mouse, so took that right back to the store.

So now im trying to figure out which mouse to get, the Rival 300 or the EC1-A, havent had a chance to try out the EC1-A, but the shape looks great, the only concern i have is the lack of software and im not sure if you can disable the lightning (i absolutely have led lightning in both mice and keyboards). The Rival 300 i had a chance to hold and i like the shape, not a big fan of the rubber sides tho.

Hoping maybe someone in here can help steer me in the right direction
redface.gif

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have both; sadly I buy almost every good gaming mouse released in the search of the one I like the most.. These are my first and second favorite mice after going through about every gaming mouse made. I do have large hands, about 20cm long..

The EC1-A is my favorite mouse and it's currently at home for gaming (I'm a former semi-pro and very intense FPS player) and the Rival 300 at my office for work. I like the EC1 better... It feels more natural and I actually prefer the lack of bloatware / software. You can configure almost everything you would need through button presses... I also keep an EC2-A right next to it, but almost never switch off. The 1-A is perfect...

I too prefer the NON-rubber sides of the EC1-A over the Rival.

You cannot disable the lighting on the Zowie, but you CAN on the Rival 300..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post

I have both; sadly I buy almost every good gaming mouse released in the search of the one I like the most.. These are my first and second favorite mice after going through about every gaming mouse made. I do have large hands, about 20cm long..

The EC1-A is my favorite mouse and it's currently at home for gaming (I'm a former semi-pro and very intense FPS player) and the Rival 300 at my office for work. I like the EC1 better... It feels more natural and I actually prefer the lack of bloatware / software. You can configure almost everything you would need through button presses... I also keep an EC2-A right next to it, but almost never switch off. The 1-A is perfect...

I too prefer the NON-rubber sides of the EC1-A over the Rival.

You cannot disable the lighting on the Zowie, but you CAN on the Rival 300..
Thanks for the response, leaning towards the EC1-A over the Rival, bit sad that you cant disable the lightning tho, but oh well. Dont know if you havev used a Deathadder before, but which mouse would you say comes closest to the feel and size of a Deathadder, the EC1-A, EC2-A or Rival?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have both of these, the Rival 300 has a nice length for large hands, but it's too thin where you actually grip imo, makes hand cramp, plus it's heavy. Zowie EC1-A is alright, I would use it over the 300. However, I really hate the Zowie's buttons, the spot where your ring finger sits is awkward, so it just sits on the shelf.

Right now I use DA Chroma and/or trying to use Logitech G900. I like them both better for shape, sensor, etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frunction View Post

I have both of these, the Rival 300 has a nice length for large hands, but it's too thin where you actually grip imo, makes hand cramp, plus it's heavy. Zowie EC1-A is alright, I would use it over the 300. However, I really hate the Zowie's buttons, the spot where your ring finger sits is awkward, so it just sits on the shelf.

Right now I use DA Chroma and/or trying to use Logitech G900. I like them both better for shape, sensor, etc.
Alright, i just didnt like the feel of the Chroma, the rubber on the sides started to bother me, really like just a smooth side, the scroll wheel also made some horrible noises when i scrolled up, even after getting a replacement it still did it, guess thats just how the mousewheel is. The grip width on the Rival 300 and EC1-A are both 5.5cm where as the Chroma is 6.5, so a little bit more narrow.

Sucks when you live in a small town with no stores nearby to try out things,

Also kinda liking the Fnatic Flick mouse, not available anywhere here tho.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanse View Post

Thanks for the response, leaning towards the EC1-A over the Rival, bit sad that you cant disable the lightning tho, but oh well. Dont know if you havev used a Deathadder before, but which mouse would you say comes closest to the feel and size of a Deathadder, the EC1-A, EC2-A or Rival?
No, I haven't used the DA Chroma. I swore off ever touching a Razer again many years ago... sorry...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post

No, I haven't used the DA Chroma. I swore off ever touching a Razer again many years ago... sorry...
Okay, i do understand that, i hate that they have the perfect size and fit mouse for me, but their build quality is just terrible. Looks like the EC1-A is pretty much the same size as the DA, where as the EC2 is smaller.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I really dont enjoy the rival 300 all that much, deathadder chroma is much better for my hand, altough the build quality of the rival 300 is better than deathadder.
But it`s my 4th deathadder I`ve got from warranty and buildquality is really cheap and crappy
worriedsmiley.gif

And once that runs out, im dont with razer for good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

I really dont enjoy the rival 300 all that much, deathadder chroma is much better for my hand, altough the build quality of the rival 300 is better than deathadder.
But it`s my 4th deathadder I`ve got from warranty and buildquality is really cheap and crappy
worriedsmiley.gif

And once that runs out, im dont with razer for good.
Yeah that kinda the reason i want to try something else, im leaning more and more towards the Zowie EC1-A over the Rival, just gotta live with the mouse wheel led
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:

Yeah that kinda the reason i want to try something else, im leaning more and more towards the Zowie EC1-A over the Rival, just gotta live with the mouse wheel led
smile.gif
I would consider just waiting until 3360 mice come out next month.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
or go back in time and take the IME3.0?
tbh i'm skeptical about the 3366 mice that will come out. it might take months before something that's actually nice will be released.

+ open your DA and try to fix the issues.
dunno about the scroll wheel, it could be that the plastic is worn, but it could also just be dirty. mine had scrolling issues, but after giving it a mild cleaning it worked fine again.
and i fixed the clicking issue by straightening the leaf to put more force on the switch.
(can't hurt to try since you're already thinking about getting something new, right?)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by frunction View Post

I would consider just waiting until 3360 mice come out next month.
Maybe, tho my mouse is probably gonna fail entirely before that
smile.gif
On the other hand, i probably wont be able to feel the difference, mostly gonna be playing some Overwatch for the fun of it, other than that i play a wide variaty of games, so comfort is my number one priority, after that comes the sensor, build quality etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucake View Post

or go back in time and take the IME3.0?
tbh i'm skeptical about the 3366 mice that will come out. it might take months before something that's actually nice will be released.

+ open your DA and try to fix the issues.
dunno about the scroll wheel, it could be that the plastic is worn, but it could also just be dirty. mine had scrolling issues, but after giving it a mild cleaning it worked fine again.
and i fixed the clicking issue by straightening the leaf to put more force on the switch.
(can't hurt to try since you're already thinking about getting something new, right?)
Could try that for sure, the scroll wheel i can live with, its just a bit jittery at times, the problem with the left mouse click is the famous double click issue, could try and open it to fix it. The last problem is the feet have nevver been replaced and are pretty much worn out, could order some gliders, but i think its just time to try something else.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Quote:

but i think its just time to try something else
fair enough :)
well in that case, the EC mice have always been liked by many. seems like a relatively safe bet.
pretty sure the LED can't be disabled though. so i guess that would mean physically disconnecting it and voiding the warranty..
otherwise i think the IME3.0 might not be a bad choice either, but the downside is low cpi.

and i might be interested in your DA, in case you're thinking of selling it once you get something new :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts