Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rival 600 with an issue so bought another and it has the same issue.

Setting the liftoff distance to the lowest setting will cause the mouse to freeze and stutter even when the mouse is firmly on the pad, with zero liftoff distance.

At all liftoff settings the mouse moves significantly when lifting the mouse straight up off the pad. Like a half a centimeter per lift. I just opened a ticket with support but wondering if anyone else had these issues.

Otherwise the mouse is pretty amazing. Love how it fits my hand, the soft touch finish, the clicks are all good but the liftoff thing is killer. Using my G403 it's not even close liftoff wise. The G403 is miles better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mice/1628929-specular-lenses-z-axis-bug.html

maybe because of this?
not sure. depends on your sensitivity/DPI setting etc. how much it moves when you lift it. but your G403 should do it too, if the LOD isn't super duper low.
the freezing shouldn't happen at all no?

i tried my g502 and g403 and they are both miles better with LOD than the Rival 600. It sucks because I like the Rival 600 better than both but it's very noticeable in game - or when I just test it in windows by simply lifting the mouse up and putting it back down.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
yeah freezing sounds like a problem with the Lift-Off sensor. is there no way to turn it off completely and let the 3360 variant they use do the LOD calibration like all other mice? I didn't personally have the issue with my Rival 600 so it's no fun of course but... can't think of much else. pad being hard to read by the LO sensor maybe? I doubt it has the same optics and resolution as the regular sensor.
which mousepad are you using?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.overclock.net/forum/375-mice/1628929-specular-lenses-z-axis-bug.html

maybe because of this?
not sure. depends on your sensitivity/DPI setting etc. how much it moves when you lift it. but your G403 should do it too, if the LOD isn't super duper low.
yeah freezing sounds like a problem with the Lift-Off sensor. is there no way to turn it off completely and let the 3360 variant they use do the LOD calibration like all other mice? I didn't personally have the issue with my Rival 600 so it's no fun of course but... can't think of much else. pad being hard to read by the LO sensor maybe? I doubt it has the same optics and resolution as the regular sensor.
which mousepad are you using?
I have the steelseries QCK Prism using the hard pad side.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I see- haven't tried this one personally... but hard pads, especially Steelseries own, should track really well with the Rival 600. that's a bummer.
have you tried using a different pad? or the soft side of it? and see if it's behaving similarly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see- haven't tried this one personally... but hard pads, especially Steelseries own, should track really well with the Rival 600. that's a bummer.
have you tried using a different pad? or the soft side of it? and see if it's behaving similarly.
I tried the cloth side of my pad as per your suggestion - with the liftoff sensor set to the lowest setting, and at least for an hour I didn't get any freezing issues, which was great - but the actual mouse movement when lifting off was still terrible. I got the Rival 310 today and just like my G403 and G502 it exhibits good liftoff behavior. It's ironic that the one mouse I have with a specific feature to deal with liftoff movement is the worst at it.

I'm waiting for steelseries to get back to me and will update on what they advise me to do with my under performing 610.

That soft-touch feel of the 600 is just amazing. I miss it lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
I tried the cloth side of my pad as per your suggestion - with the liftoff sensor set to the lowest setting, and at least for an hour I didn't get any freezing issues, which was great - but the actual mouse movement when lifting off was still terrible. I got the Rival 310 today and just like my G403 and G502 it exhibits good liftoff behavior. It's ironic that the one mouse I have with a specific feature to deal with liftoff movement is the worst at it.

I'm waiting for steelseries to get back to me and will update on what they advise me to do with my under performing 610.

That soft-touch feel of the 600 is just amazing. I miss it lol
I asked Steelseries about lift-off distance for the Rival 600 and which setting on the slider was the same as the Rival 310. They told me the 5th step from the left on the Rival 600 gives it the same liftoff distance as Rival 310. Perhaps that is what you should use?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't all the reviews say that it stops tracking at the lowest setting? I think it's the normal behavior of that lift off sensor because it can pick up even the slightest indentations in the surface.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I asked Steelseries about lift-off distance for the Rival 600 and which setting on the slider was the same as the Rival 310. They told me the 5th step from the left on the Rival 600 gives it the same liftoff distance as Rival 310. Perhaps that is what you should use?
taht seems to work quite well thanks. i had probably tried 3 other settings and they weren't good.

the rival 600 is my favorite mouse and I've recently tried the G502, G403, Glaive, M65 Pro, EC2-A, and the 310.

the shape, finish, fit, click feel, weight and design of the rival 600 are the best to me. i can't wait to see what steelseries puts out next, as long as it weighs under 100 grams :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts