Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple and quick question, but I'm attempting to built an FXO answering machine and the level of analogue modems on the market that support linux are very small, let alone ones with dual ports.

My question: using a typical splitter, can I take an input an output on a single 56k modem line properly?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
most 56k modems with 2 ports (one for phone, one for line)
will disconnect the phone port when picking up the line to dial or recieve a call/fax

for modems with one port, you can use a rj11 splitter, just know that the phone will not be disconencted while the modem is dialing/recieving

some have speaker/mic ports/headers that you can run to a sound card for recording or chatting with

most external modems will support linux

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically the RJ11 port will be used as an interrupter, just like an actual answering machine, ie: main line in for incoming calls and then if the line out is not picked up after a certain number of rings, then it picks up on the device. I just want to make sure that it will loop properly through the device before I go to the effort of setting everything up only to find it does not work properly.

If this will work out that way, then I'm super excited!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts